Strengthmill

Right, HST isn’t the most active forum, but that’s a quantity question. I signed up here because people really know things, so the quality is there. HST members don’t resort to snobbish comments if you ask a “dumb” question. Besides, I can’t remember having seen rough language around here, and I think it’s worth the effort to keep it that way.

As scientific muscle has realized, if it weren’t for Mark Rippetoe, the forum would be dead by now. I don’t like the fact that Rippetoe sometimes lets himself drag down to certain levels. No, I’m not a snob; I just think that people who are looked up to should be a little bit more careful with the kind of language they use and comments they make – even in the bodybuilding / powerlifting game.

If I post a question here, I know that someone will answer. Even if the answer is not satisfactory, I know that person has genuinely tried to help. On other forums, you often have to put up with a couple of sarcastic and / or offensive comments before someone actually has the idea to come up with an answer. Don’t be surprised if the answer is just parroted; they actually don’t know anything and want to make you believe they’re gurus.

HST could have similar discussions. But most people I have met around here seem to be much more educated than anybody would expect from a typical lifter. Chances are that most people here will actively search for an answer so the discussion isn’t going to happen. That’s not a bad thing because HST is one of the very few forums where you can still follow each new thread.

XFatMan said it perfectly!
cool.gif

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Feb. 06 2008,12:30)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Unfortunately it seems if it wasn't for rippetoe, the forum would be dead.
sad.gif
</div>
Maybe you oughta invite Rippetoe over here...

<div>
(TunnelRat @ Feb. 06 2008,20:04)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(scientific muscle @ Feb. 06 2008,12:30)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Unfortunately it seems if it wasn't for rippetoe, the forum would be dead.
sad.gif
</div>
Maybe you oughta invite Rippetoe over here...</div>
He would be a great addition for questions about general and strength training.

<div>
(Aaron_F @ Feb. 07 2008,08:17)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Aww, everybody is a pretty flower</div>
And you are the prettiest of them all.
tounge.gif

Hey, how are you squat, bench and deads going these days? Any improvements or comp results to speak of?

Squat and deadlift suck because my long term back injury is still playing with me. My boob wants to disagree with me getting stronger.

Thats life.

<div>
(Aaron_F @ Feb. 08 2008,09:10)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Squat and deadlift suck because my long term back injury is still playing with me.  My boob wants to disagree with me getting stronger.

Thats life.</div>
Yeah, that does suck. Was it a lifting related injury or some other accident?

Interesting. I was a street/outlaw type biker for 27 years, where I went down hard once, puncturing my intestines when I wrapped around the front bumper of a blind florida retiree...then in two years of racing dirt bikes I went down at least every other ride (1.5x wk) and got wrapped around a couple trees, smashed into a rock wall, bounced down a cliff...had the usuall stuff; broken collarbone, cracked ribs, etc.
The only injuries I feel today are the ones I've incurred in the gyms. Weird. Or lucky.

<div>
(quadancer @ Feb. 10 2008,07:57)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">then in two years of racing dirt bikes I went down at least every other ride (1.5x wk) and got wrapped around a couple trees, smashed into a rock wall, bounced down a cliff...had the usuall stuff; broken collarbone, cracked ribs, etc.</div>
After the first lap I was always able to tell who was gonna win a motorcycle race -- flat track, motocross, hill climb, whatever. It was always the craziest one...
wow.gif

Lucky

I feel my previously dislocated shoulder occasionally. My broken/pinned/rebroken little finger gets in the way occasionally.

One of the other guys I know has a fused spine from getting rearended at the lights. Another took 6months to learn how to walk again.

Most of my mates who rode bikes are either dead or broken. My pop point-blank refused to let me get a bike when I was younger (I wanted to get into motocross). I thank him now for sticking to his guns. I learnt to play guitar instead.

The temptation comes when you get older and are earning more dosh and bikes seem to be so cheap for the thrill value. There is often an extra price to pay, as Aaron pointed out; accidents are often not the fault of the rider.

It's not always bikes though, I had a friend who was a rally co-driver for his dad. He was killed instantly when they went into a tree. His dad survived. Not nice.

TBH, our next bike is back to my old standard: a Harley tractor, to be used for chugging around the mountains and looking at the sights, camping and fun. I desire to still be playing my guitar, lifting weights, and making money well into my eightys.
Well, I can dream can't I?

that forum is pretty much dead and stupid. its got a lot of closed minded people on there. apart from the rippetoe Q&amp;A section, the site has nothing special to offer at all.

Uh, it gets more activity than this forum. I find the forum for RIP good to answer form questions about strength or his program. It is a bit close minded on other programs and goals.
Strength training = good
aerobic = evil

<div>
(rmscott_75077 @ Aug. 01 2008,11:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Uh,  it gets more activity than this forum.   I find the forum for RIP good to answer form questions about strength or his program.   It is a bit close minded on other programs and goals.
Strength training = good
aerobic = evil</div>
Activity have seemingly dropped on this forum with the rise in popularity in other places such as Lyle's &quot;Bodyrecomp&quot; forum and Mark's &quot;StrengthMill&quot;.

I may read some threads at these places every once in a while, but I only post here!
biggrin.gif

Back