SUBMAX weights...

YES! MIKEYNOV GETS ME!!!
biggrin.gif

yeah exactly what he said! that's (mainly) the WHOLE basis of HST, that people can keep growing by resetting their muscle's sensitivity to previous lighter submax loads.

Now, i've been chattin to Lyle Mcdonald and his opinion of HST is that HST trainers are starting too light to ensure that they add weight every workout, which he deems as unnecessary and the early workouts are too light to be useful.

He's also stated that YES there should be a runup to your maxes from about 80% of your RM, reach your max, and FURTHER increase it for a few weeks or so before dropping the reps (from what i understood at least).
So therefore, it's setting them new RM's WITHIN the cycle, not starting too light, SD can still be in place, but not starting too light but at about 80% (which is also what totz says regarding seasoned trainers)

i could come up with an example if anyone likes.

and great point lcars about not maybe adapting to them loads that haven't been repeated for very long/very often. my concern is the weights in the POST 5s, seeming as though we hang around them for about 2 or more weeks, then SD, yet i think we'd still have that threshold adaption still SET at the 5RM mark when we go into the 15s/10s weights...

thanks guys, i think this is an important topic to discuss. It's SO important that i reckon a certain someone should jump in should they feel free to. (*cough* BRYAN *cough* *cough*)
biggrin.gif
laugh.gif

My only point is this: I don't feel you are a seasoned lifter as yet, but I could be wrong, lets see:

Can you bench 1 1/2 x your body weight for 5 reps at least?
Squats 2x body weight, even if it is box squats?
Deadlift at least 1 1/2 x the body weight?

These guidelines would tell you that you are a seasoned lifter and then...yes the 80% starting rule may apply to you...but you have just started HST recently and so I feel you should try it out as set before you start changing things!

Then again this is just my own opinion.
wow.gif

<div>
(_Simon_ @ Sep. 12 2007,00:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Now, i've been chattin to Lyle Mcdonald and his opinion of HST is that HST trainers are starting too light to ensure that they add weight every workout, which he deems as unnecessary and the early workouts are too light to be useful.

He's also stated that YES  there should be a runup to your maxes from about 80% of your RM, reach your max, and FURTHER increase it for a few weeks or so before dropping the reps (from what i understood at least).
So therefore, it's setting them new RM's WITHIN the cycle, not starting too light, SD can still be in place, but not starting too light but at about 80% (which is also what totz says regarding seasoned trainers)</div>
Yes I saw Lyle's response to your question -

&quot;go read the generic bulking thread

if you wanna do HST, do HST

if you wanna do HST but change 8 things about it, you're not doing HST&quot; LYLE

smile.gif

<div>
(RUSS @ Sep. 12 2007,08:31)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(_Simon_ @ Sep. 12 2007,00:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Now, i've been chattin to Lyle Mcdonald and his opinion of HST is that HST trainers are starting too light to ensure that they add weight every workout, which he deems as unnecessary and the early workouts are too light to be useful.

He's also stated that YES there should be a runup to your maxes from about 80% of your RM, reach your max, and FURTHER increase it for a few weeks or so before dropping the reps (from what i understood at least).
So therefore, it's setting them new RM's WITHIN the cycle, not starting too light, SD can still be in place, but not starting too light but at about 80% (which is also what totz says regarding seasoned trainers)</div>
Yes I saw Lyle's response to your question -

&quot;go read the generic bulking thread

if you wanna do HST, do HST

if you wanna do HST but change 8 things about it, you're not doing HST&quot; LYLE

smile.gif
</div>
Yah, we say that, and then 95% of the regulars who are using HST have changed probably more than 8 things about the default template to suit their own needs
tounge.gif

I agree that, if you've never done the program at all, give it at least one honest run-through as is before tweaking. However, the idea that you have to stick to the default template indefinitely for it to be &quot;HST&quot; is just wrong.

HAHA yeah but i also PMed him and THAT'S where he helped out a bit more lol!
biggrin.gif

and faz, nah i don't consider myself a seasoned lifter no way, but i'm not sure, are them ratios good indicators of training experience? i would think that muscle mass gains from when you started to now would be, but i dunno ay hehe! but why should the 80% rule only apply to those who have reached them strength levels??? it doesn't make sense to me, i'm just questioning the submax weights which are below that.

OH! and also, with my last two cycles the weights at the start of each 2 week RM thingy WERE actually averaging 80% anyways (because i'm not that strong (or there is not much difference between my RMs) so the weights had to be higher) so there you go haha i found that amusing i'm been going 'oh rahrahrah weights too light rahrah' yet they weren't that light in relation to my RM.... lol

and mikeynov yeah i'm finishing my 2nd cycle soon, but i'm really thinking of instead of FINISHING each RM microcycle USING your RM, i'm thinking if it's a good idea to push your RM up DURING the cycle for a bit, FOR EXAMPLE:

say my 10RM is 100lbs,
doing: 80, 80, 90, 90, 100, 100, 105, 110, 115 (if strength gains permitted that) or something like that anyways... in other words it's STILL HST as it's sticking to the principles and everything
BUT i'm also thinking about reducing the frequency to TWICE a week to allow this easier strength gain (obviously, a little tweak ;) )

anyone here ever read stuff from Kelly Baggett?
http://www.t-nation.com/tmagnum....1673904

no 28 comes to mind here about frequency

what do ya think?

enough from me hehe!

cheeers
biggrin.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">are them ratios good indicators of training experience?</div>

Those would indicate the strength to be at a good training level, definitelly not a begginer so to say!

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> it doesn't make sense to me, i'm just questioning the submax weights which are below that.</div>

Well...I think Russ covered that one...you need to get some lifting experience (flight hours if I can put it that way) before it is effective for you to use. You seem to have grasped the concepts of HST so go and try them out in practice.

You may want to start at 70% of each RM and play with the remining 30% over 6 training days for each mesocycle, that's about right...else if you feel those are too light then by all means go for the 80% as suggested...it is still up to you anyway.
wink.gif

As for teh article I'll first read it up then I'll comment!

yeah but hehe that's the thing in my previous 2 cycles now i've started around 80% ANYWAY simply because the RMs were very close to each other anyways, so i'm not sure whether i should now go lower than anyways.
but i just want to talk about submax weights and their effectiveness in terms of deconditioning (SD) and the belief that ramping up to your max elicits hypertrophy (which of course for MANY people here it has)

ok, HST is based on tension-based hypertrophy (and NOT so much sarcoplasmic), where increased tension upon muscles results in subsequent microtrauma due to lower THRESHOLDS (or adaptions). and SD is used to DECREASE that threshold or level of adaption to a given lower load. when i hear people saying stuff like the time used in SD isn't enough to increase the sensitivity of muscles to lower weights, you can see why i worry
laugh.gif

don't worry haha i AM trying it out in practice too, not just blah-ing about it ;)
cheers...

You mention that your RM's are close together so you are starting at 80% of RM. Is this because you tried to avoid zig zag?

I'm curious to see your weight progression through this last cycle. Can you post it?

I usually take 2 weeks for SD. Then, to make it easy, I just take 50% of my new 5RM and make that my first workout. The first workout of each cycle has made me so sore that I would rather be kicked in the nuts than workout. That is proof enough to me that submax weights work and 14 days of SD is adequate for deconditioning.

Hi Simon,

I completely understand your concern about using submax weights. And it appears you understand the concept.

I think its important to remember that your weight training does not occur in a fish bowl. I mean, the effectiveness of any given stimulus is dependant on several factors.

One of the things that a lot of people fail to recognize is that one persons 15RM is not another persons 15RM. This is one of the most common misunderstandings I see in research on training and muscle growth.

I guess what I’m trying to say is, take a guy who’s 5RM for bench is 315. When he does 15s he is going to start his “light” work with about 200 pounds for 15 reps. From a TISSUE perspective, the anabolic effect of 200 pounds done in a slow-burn fashion is different than 100 pounds. So for one person, 15s is definitely effective when performed properly following SD, for another, it may not be as effective.

I would like people to be aware that the relative load per CSA of tissue is important when we are talking about hypertrophy. Just because a study group of 30 people use “75-80%” of their 1RM doesn’t mean that the weight will be equally as traumatic to the tissue for every person. It all depends on how much muscle they have supporting the load.

Its clear I’m rambling…mostly because other people (including you Simon) have already fleshed out the issue here. Nevertheless, Simon, if you don’t want to start with 15s, there is nothing saying that you have to. HST stipulates that you use progressive loading to try to reduce the RBE and keep the stimulus effective. So whether you start with 12s, or 10s, or 15s, it doesn’t really matter as long as the weight gets heavier over time.

Really strong (large) guys can use a lot of reps and still stimulate growth because they are using a lot of weight…even for high reps. Newer guys may need to do fewer reps as they aren’t strong enough to use heavy poundages for high reps. THAT’S OK!
smile.gif

Let me finish saying that HST is a set of principles, NOT a fixed package of sets and reps that people have to adhere religiously. Learn about the principles that make your muscle grow from training first. Then you won’t have to ask other people what they think of HST. You will be able to make your own judgment about how best to apply those principles.

Hey _Simon_

You got the &quot;boss&quot; to answer...that is something! And...IMO it should settle your doubts...not much different from what a few of us said, but if it takes Bryan to settle it so be it!

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I would like people to be aware that the relative load per CSA of tissue is important when we are talking about hypertrophy. Just because a study group of 30 people use “75-80%” of their 1RM doesn’t mean that the weight will be equally as traumatic to the tissue for every person. It all depends on how much muscle they have supporting the load.</div>

This particular part of the ramble sure &quot;drives the nail home&quot; at least for me...one can actually seee that happening as one's 15RM increases.

I more and more think that what RUSS said about Bryan letting all of us put our opinions into the pot and that he picks those he finds approriate and thus writes his book, sound more like the reality, what a clever way to get a great system reviewed without making anyone &quot;nervous&quot; or &quot;cocky&quot; for that matter!
laugh.gif

AH! OH thanks heaps bryan for posting yaaay! really appreciate your input!
smile.gif

it's not that i have an issue with the 15s PER SE, it's mainly the use of submax and its relation with SD. THAT IS haha once the heavy heavy weights are used for many weeks in the 5s, i would think that the adaptions to them loads would be around for a WHILE, not sure how long... but i'm just thinking about them submax weights for instance in the 10s or so when there may not be full MU activation (or myofibral stress actually).
THAT'S sorta the crux of what i'm talkin bout ay!

and btw haha i'm not askin all this out of pure skepticism and paranoia and sneeking round watching everyone's move HAHA i'm just reeeally passionate about this sorta stuff and really want to learn much more about it!

thanks everyone (especially Bryan ;) )

Simon

OH and Bulldog yeah i did plan it like that (having an average of 80% of RM starting weight throughout cycle) because i think there would have been SEVEEERE zigZAGGAGE if i started around 70% haha. i will post my cycle tomorrow or so, i'm extremely tired noe haha but will do!
biggrin.gif

I was just curious because zig zag can be a good thing.  It gives you a short time of somewhat of an active recovery as you move into the next phase.  Which can be good after hitting a RM.

I start each phase with 75% of my RM and usually have the first two workouts of the next phase zig zag.  I don't really plan it that way it just seems to work out that way using a 75% starting weight.

But I have tried also to do a cycle with no zig zag and found I was burnt out by the time I got to the end of the first week of 5's.

SD does work.  Maybe not for the reasons first thought, but it does work.  People have been doing it for decades.  It was just never really thought of the way SD was presented by Bryan and HST.

<div>
(_Simon_ @ Sep. 18 2007,07:52)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">... but i'm just thinking about them submax weights for instance in the 10s or so when there may not be full MU activation (or myofibral stress actually).
THAT'S sorta the crux of what i'm talkin bout ay!</div>
Keep in mind that HST does not prioritize motor unit activation.

It is not considered necessary that all motor units fire at once to elicit an anabolic response from the contraction. Over the course of the entire set(s) all of the motor units will become active.

Hope I didn't just stir the pot too much.
biggrin.gif

AH cool as thanks heeeaps for that Bryan yeah i DO understand that now, that one doesn't need to only work in the 5-8 rep range or so to get full MU recruitment and stress from the get go, although i've also heard that you're not GUARANTEED to have the fibres stressed enough from higher reps/close to failure or so, but anyways haha!

(i think i accidently mixed in 2 topics i was talking bout... ummm not sure haha anyway)

Bryan, i'd love to ask your opinion on what i previously said: <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">it's not that i have an issue with the 15s PER SE, it's mainly the use of submax and its relation with SD. THAT IS haha once the heavy heavy weights are used for many weeks in the 5s, i would think that the adaptions to them loads would be around for a WHILE, not sure how long...</div>

HENCE it would seem that due to a 'higher' adaption point/threshold, submax weights wouldn't do much (but of course this is asssuming that SD doesn't reverse many of the adaptions, which i HAVE heard of...)
so it'd be great if you could explain some SD jazz over here HEHE

thanks heaps!
biggrin.gif

p.s. and don't worry bryan, no stirring at all haha, just GOOD wholesome discussion!
laugh.gif

good post. unfortunately, there aren't enough posts like this here - legitimate criticism on HST. and one can find elsewhere, in other forums, were they do injustice with HST, although it seems the know very little and never tried it.
HST deserves, as any great concept, to be criticized. here's a summary of lyle mcdonald's critique (its long, but should be available here for noobs. imo):
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">To one degree, I think HST may simply be ONE WAY of formalizing the rules Bryan has developed in terms of hypertrophy in terms of frequency, volume, intensity, etc. Clearly, to train a bodypart 3X/week, you have to be submaximal most of the time. Now, left to their own design, most hardheaded lifters will screw it up. By forcing the specific weight progression of HST, you sort of save lifters from their own propensities and psychologies...

...It also builds in tension progression into the system, since you're always increasing the weights. In that altogeher too many bodybuilders never add weight to the bar, formalizing weight increases is one way to get them to do what they should be doing in the first place...

...If you used a classic Heavy/light/medium and progressed the heavy workout each week, you'd also be progressing the light and medium workouts (to a far lesser degree because of the way the percentages work). Progressive tension overload + sufficient frequency without the artificial weight progression of HST.

</div>

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">SD does not define HST.</div>

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Q:
Do you think there is any advantage (in terms of hypertrophy) to

HST
vs.

full body 3x a week stopping a rep or two short of failure, adding weight where you can?

A:
I know I've adressed this before but I seem to have used much of my hostility today reaming out Kelly and I need to stall before riding the bike cuz it's going to suck.

Bryan's basic premise is that 'progressive tension overload' (plus some ancillary stuff) stimultes growth. Ergo he set up the program to have a weight increase at every workout.

The problem is that, in order to do this, you MUST start very submaximally. It's the only way to guarantee a weight increase at every workout, by starting with pansy ass weights.

Now, this gets into a separate debate: is say 50% of your previous best 10RM sufficient to stimulate growth or adaptation? Noting that it's incorrect to look at it on an acute single workout kind of thing, we're looking at the cumulative effect of several workouts in a row.

This also ties into the SD thing, with the idea being that 50% is now a tension overload because of the deconditioning. A lot of if's going on in there.

You can draw an analogy to endurance training. We basiclaly know that, once your fitness is X, you don't get any impact on anything if you are below some threshold %age of X. You may get active recovery, you may get some type of mild benefit, but you don't get fitness gains.

The same should basically hold for mass gains. If the tension threshold to stimulate growth is X, there should be some threshold %age of X below which you don't stimulate jack crap.

Hell, even the HG guys never start lower than about 80% of previous bests, ramping up over 2-4 weeks and then trying to set PR's at whatever rep range they are working in.

And now I've lost my train of thought on all of this. I guess my point being that I have trouble seeing the value of the very low %age workouts. Until you get to some threshold level of your previous best, I doubt you are doing anything in terms of stimulating growth (going that light may have value from relearning the movement, breaking back in after a layoff, or whatever).

i think a lot of it was practicality, knowing the mindset of the typical bodybuilder (who is either trying to go all out at every workout) he had to force tehm to use submaximal weights. Knowing also that all too many bodybuilders never add weight to the bar, he wanted to force a weight increase. Also, knowing tht most people will screw it up if you leave them to their own devices, it was a good idea to make it very regimented. Even tehre, look at the HST board, people insist on finding new and creative ways to muck up a rather simple system.

Of course, there were other issues, making sure they could maintain sufficient frequency (every other day) which also means submaximal workouts, etc.

Bringing us around to your question because you can implement some of the above priciple without using the exact HST methodology. You can readily train full body 3X/week as long as you don't try to go all out at every workout. Look at any 5X5 interpretation or Pendlay's stuff or a lot of approaches to training.

I guess the question is whether adding weight at every workout is required for growth? Empirical experience says a resounding hell no. Do you need to add weight at some point? Absolutely. Short of starting with pansy weights, or rank beginners, expecting a weight (or rep) increase at every workout when you're using semi-challenging loads is wholly unrealistic.

secondarily, if needing to add weight at every workout means starting with totally useless loading, are you gaining more from adding weight at each wrkout than you're losing from starting with useless loading? And, related to that, is the detraining you're going to get from working so submaximally going to hurt you even more.

I think if you have someone who has trouble knowing when to increase weight or hold back in the gym (i.e. typical hardhead), HST might be superior only in that it saves them from their own bad habits. If they are required to follow a certain progression on loads and stop at a given rep count, you stop them from going all out at every workout and hampering the frequency issue.

If they have nough self control to keep a rep or two in the tank, add weight when it gets easy, I'm not so sure HST would be necessarily superior. As per that other thread, old timey bodybuilders trained that way all the time, 3X/week, full body stopping short of failure except once every week or every 2 weeks, they'd go all out and have a PR/record day. Then a lot of submax work to a new peak.
</div>

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">One of Bryan's premises, as I recall is that HST should allow you to continue growing without having to continually keep adding weight to the bar. So instead of hitting 200, then 210, then 220 then 230 and having to increase continuously, it's a more gradual progression over many cycles.

So let me pull some made up numbers out of my butt. Say that with the SD you detrain and lose 5% of your msucular gains but the tension threshold for further growth (or however you want to conceptualize it) goes down by 10% (I can't even make up a reason this would occur, this is jsut me wanking theoretically). That is, the tension threshold for growth has dropped more than the amount of size you've lost. Under those conditions, I could see lower loads than previously stimulating new growth. Except that I don't see mechanistically how it can occur at this point.

Except that reminds me of some weird comment I saw just the other day in an exercie physiology book, something about how strength changed with eithe rtraining or detraining. Reminds me that I need to go delve into that some more.</div>

Lyle</div>

<div>
(the_dark_master @ Sep. 22 2007,15:01)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Er, &quot;Noobs?&quot; ??? :laugh:</div>
corrected... (I'm not writing in English often)

I have read a few critiques of HST. None of them are credible. It is difficult if not impossible to discredit the science behind HST. It is even more difficult to explain away the results.

Back