TangoDown's HST Cluster Log

Yes, I'm 167lb now after eating at maintenance during SD.

Seeing my PCP on Tuesday to discuss insomnia. Inb4 "your bmi is 25.4, lose weight."

Get 12 reps. Work sets clustered save for bicep curls.

Squat 155lb x 5, 220lb x 5, x 3, x 2, x 2

Incline DB Bench: 40lb DBs x 5, 65lb DBs x 7, x 3, x 3

DB Bicep Curl: 35lb x 10

Bad night of sleep last night...DB bench was weird in those last 2 clusters, and I didn't do pullups today because I got a blood draw at my doctor's appointment after leaving the campus early and I do pullups at home.

Doctor prescribed Ambien. Don't want to take it often though.

Stats: 5'8", 167lb

Deadlift: 225lb x 3, 275lb x 6, x 4, x 2 (PR)

Bench Press: 115lb x 5, 170lb x 4, x 2, 125lb x 15

DB Bicep Curl: 35lb x 10, 35lb x 8

Weighted Pullups (Done at Home): Belt + 25lb x 5, x 4, x 3

Deadlift felt super easy - I could have probably repped out 8-10 or finished the cluster in 2 sets, but I chose to act conservatively so I don't fry the CNS. It's weird that only last week, 5 reps felt insanely hard and I could only do 1 rep after the first cluster. It's either the fact that I'm lifting in a different gym (school gym as opposed to YMCA) with different equipment, or my CNS has warmed up to 275lb (as I had only pulled it once before last session where it was hard).

Bench was a different story. My PR last cycle was 5 reps with 170lb, and I hit 4 this time. I actually went to failure on rep 5. Did 2 the next cluster and called it a day with that weight to spare CNS (since I went to failure). Hopefully, like deadlift, this is because I'm not used to this weight (only did it once before) We'll see next Tuesday.

Curls were self-explanatory. Actually felt a lot easier to do than last session, but that's probably because I had more sleep today.

Pullups were easier, so I'm moving up to Belt + 30lb.

How's your bodyweight? Up?

Not surprised that your deadlift is going up. Good pulling there.

How's your bodyweight? Up?

Not surprised that your deadlift is going up. Good pulling there.

About a 1lb a week. I was at the doctor on Tuesday and I was a few ounces away from 168lb, so I expect to be there when I weight in on Saturday.

Stats: 5'8", 167lb

Deadlift: 225lb x 3, 275lb x 6, x 4, x 2 (PR)

Bench Press: 115lb x 5, 170lb x 4, x 2, 125lb x 15

DB Bicep Curl: 35lb x 10, 35lb x 8

Weighted Pullups (Done at Home): Belt + 25lb x 5, x 4, x 3

Deadlift felt super easy - I could have probably repped out 8-10 or finished the cluster in 2 sets, but I chose to act conservatively so I don't fry the CNS. It's weird that only last week, 5 reps felt insanely hard and I could only do 1 rep after the first cluster. It's either the fact that I'm lifting in a different gym (school gym as opposed to YMCA) with different equipment, or my CNS has warmed up to 275lb (as I had only pulled it once before last session where it was hard).

Bench was a different story. My PR last cycle was 5 reps with 170lb, and I hit 4 this time. I actually went to failure on rep 5. Did 2 the next cluster and called it a day with that weight to spare CNS (since I went to failure). Hopefully, like deadlift, this is because I'm not used to this weight (only did it once before) We'll see next Tuesday.

Curls were self-explanatory. Actually felt a lot easier to do than last session, but that's probably because I had more sleep today.

Pullups were easier, so I'm moving up to Belt + 30lb.

They're easier because you're doing less reps per exertion. This is why clustering is the boss. You don't fry your CNS.

About a 1lb a week. I was at the doctor on Tuesday and I was a few ounces away from 168lb, so I expect to be there when I weight in on Saturday.

I would prefer to see ~ 1kg per week. Try and eat more if possible (though don't go crazy stressed about it).

I'm already taking in 3500 calories a day. I'm past 15% body fat so I don't want to become a fatty, and plus increasing food = increasing costs which already eats into my dismal paycheck. Think I'm gonna stick with 1lb a week.

I've been sleeping poorly these past few months, so I'm going to try sleep restriction therapy. I'll start out sleeping about 5 and a half hours a night (laying down into bed at 2 and waking at 8), so it might cut into my gains in the short term but in the long run, when I'm sleeping 7-8 without waking, I'll feel a lot better. I'm 20, so I think I can cut it without getting under the olympic bar and crumbling into a heap of bones lol.

Here's Kaiser's version if you're curious:

http://www.permanente.net/homepage/kaiser/pdf/66427.pdf

Anyway, had to skip my workout this weekend due to bad sleep (4 hours yesterday, and 2 Ambien last night which ****s with your CNS). I'll hopefully be back again on Tuesday, with less sleep.

Last edited:

Squat: 155lb x 5, 230lb x 3, x 1

Incline DB Press: 40lb DBs x 5, 65lb DBs x 7, x 5, 45lb DBs x 15

DB Bicep Curl: 40lb DBs x 10

Weighted Pullup: Belt + 30lb x 4, x 3, x 1

Running on a fraction of the sleep I desire due to SRT...probably 5 and a half hours.

I think for squat, I could have at least gotten 4 reps. On rep 4, my back angle started coming forward so I ditched the bar out of concern for my lower back. Went to failure on rep 2 of cluster 2. First time I used this weight.

Incline DB press, I got 12 in 2 clusters, so I'll be moving up to 70lb DBs.

Curls went fine.

Pullups, went to failure on rep 5 of the first set...a couple of inches from my chin going over the bar. First time with this weight as well.

Deadlift: 225lb x 3, 285lb x 5, x 4 [forgot the last rep lol] (PR)

Bench Press: 115lb x 5, 170lb x 5, x 3, x 2, x 2, 125lb x 15

DB Bicep Curl: 40lb DBs x 10

Weighted Pullups (Done at home): Belt + 30lb x 5, x 3, x 3, x 1

Deadlift PR. Could have pushed past 5 on the first cluster but no use. Forgot the last rep of the second cluster...was in the moment lol. Stopped at 10 reps. Progressing to 295lb next deadlift session.

Bench felt great. I really focused on an arch on the last cluster and I could have pushed out 3-4. Going to progress to 175lb next flat bench session. I expect, like with this weight, that I'll probably end up with 3-4 reps the first time around, but maybe I'll surprise myself.

Curls were self explanatory. I'm waiting to hit 45lb DBs and see if I can get a PR with those.

Pullups were done at home and felt easier than last time. Might have been able to push out 5, 4, 3, but I chose to avoid failure as I basically went there last pullup session. Still, the first cluster was a tiny bit short of failure so I'm debating over sticking with this weight or moving up to 35lb on my belt. I can also microload to 32.5lb if need be.

Since my doorframe is short and my belt chain is long, the weight rests on the floor for a bit of the starting ROM. I guess I can equate it to having chains on a bar when deadlifting...less effort at the bottom of the lift and more at the top...nobody really has trouble with the bottom part of a pullup though so I think I'm fine.

Last edited:
Congrats on the PR TD!!!! Nice work throughout!!!!!!!!

You may want to consider connecting the chain to itself, and then to the closing loop for your pullups to make it shorter; I like the idea of the rep load getting heavier, but your dead hang won't develop as rapidly as the rest of the lift. When loads get noticeably more intense, it'll be hard for you to initiate the pull. Food for thought anyway.

No matter what - nice pulling today.

Thanks for the tip; I'll try it out. I might just do 'em at the YMCA this weekend and maybe stick with the same weight to see if the load carries over.

Get 10-12 reps. Curls are only exercise not clustered.

Stats: 5'8", 168lb

Deadlift: 225lb x 3, 295lb x 5, x 1 (PR)

Bench Press: 115lb x 5, 175lb x 3, x 2, x 3, x 2, 125lb x 15

Curls: 45lb DBs x 9 (right arm) and x 8 (left arm) (PR)

Weighted Pullups (Done at home): Belt + 35lb x 3, x 3, x 3, x 2, x 1

Got about 5.5 hours of sleep last night. Looks like that's going to be a trend for a while.

Another deadlift PR. Just like 275lb was the first time I did it this cycle, the 2nd cluster was an insanely hard 1 rep so I left as is and will repeat 295lb this weekend. I believe I had another 1-2 reps in the tank for the 1st cluster but I left as is.

Bench, went to failure on 4th rep (gotta stop doing that), and then clustered. First time with this weight, so hopefully this weekend I'll see an improvement.

DB curls PR. I'm not doing EXTREMELY strict curls.

Weighted pullups were very hard. Sticking with this weight for a bit.

Last edited:
Get 10-12 reps. Everything clustered save for bicep curls

Stats: 5'8", 168lb

Squat: 230lb x 4, x 1 (PR + 5lb)

Incline DB Bench: 70lb DBs x 2, 65lb DBs x 4

Weighted Pullups (Done at home): Belt + 35lb x 5, x 3, x 2, x 3 (PR + 2 reps)

DB Bicep Curls (Done at home): Right arm: 45lb x 7, 45lb x 6 - Left arm: 45lb x 6, 45lb x 6

I guess squat is a PR. I didn't push to rep 5 but I felt that I wouldn't have been able to even get out of the hole. 2nd cluster was only 1 rep. Failed rep 2. Gonna try this weight again next week and if I still end up with 1 rep on the second cluster, I might push back to 220lb or 225lb.

Incline DB was an epic failure. Last Saturday it was 3 reps. I think the problem is that the increment jump was too high (got 8 reps a few sessions back with 65lb DBs). Fortunately, I'm going to start going to the YMCA 3 times a week and there's a barbell incline bench there. So no more unwieldy dumbbells for a while. Gotta test my max. Unfortunately, the flip side with the YMCA is that there is no power rack so I won't feel completely safe while squatting my max. God damn cardio bunny-centric ass gym.

Pullup PR. I don't know if it was because bicep curls weren't done a couple hours beforehand, or because again, I got used to this weight (I'm hoping it's the latter). Moving up to 40lb. I'm happy about this because I believe I was using belt + 35lb for 4-5 reps when I weighed in the realm of 135lb a couple of years ago (and was doing 17-18 deadhang body weight pullups).

Curls were less than usual, but I chock that up to doing heavy pullups right beforehand.

Continuing this cycle will be contingent on if my squat and bench increase. This weekend, I'll be benching 175lb again and hoping for at least 5 reps. For some odd reasons, I haven't really had any issue with my pulling. In terms of deadlift, I expect to pull 305lb x 5 soon and pullups are still climbing in terms of weight.

Last edited:
Sleep issues accounted for, it's nice to see your progress is increasing this time around. "PR" designation is something you ought to get used to.

Get 10-12 reps. Work sets clustered save for bicep curls

Stats: 5'8", 170lb

Deadlift: 225lb x 3, 305lb x 5, 305lb x 0 (PR)

Bench Press: 115lb x 5, 175lb x 3-4 (off-kilter lift...****), x 3, 125lb x 10

Weighted Pullups (Done at gym this time): BW x 3, Belt + 40lb x 2, x 2, x 2, x 1

E-Z Bar Curls: Bar + 70lb x 9, Bar + 70lb x 5 (PR + 3 reps)

Decided to push to 305lb as opposed to sticking with 295lb. Deadlift was insanely hard but I got all 5 reps. 2nd cluster, I felt like I couldn't even get the bar off the ground. Left it as is, and will use this weight next session. Still, another PR. I'm confident I'll push past my 365lb 1RM goal for the end of the year, assuming everything goes well.

Bench, 1st rep was very strong and then I lost balance on the 2nd rep which made the next couple reps bad. Very disappointing. Failed 4th rep on cluster 2, and then only got 10 reps as opposed to 15 with the same weight for the high rep set...think it was because I didn't give myself enough rest time.

Pullups, 2 reps. Guess it's to be expected with this weight seeing as I had a hard 5 reps with 35lb. I'm gonna stick with this weight and see if I can't hit 3 or more next time.

PR on E-Z bar curl.

Apparently gained 2lb since last week.

Last edited:
Get 10-12 reps. Work sets clustered save for bicep curls

Squat: 155lb x 5, 230lb x 5, x 3, x 2 (PR)

Incline BB Bench: Bar x 7, 95lb x 5, 115lb x 5, 135lb x 5

Pullups BW x 5, x 5, x 5

E-Z Bar Curls: Bar + 70lb x 5, Bar + 50lb x 8

Thank you Kelly Starrett with San Francisco Crossfit. Your mobility MWOD on ankles and hips yesterday and today paid off. 230lb x 5 felt outstanding, and I probably could have pushed out another rep or two. Could have pushed out more reps on the 2nd and 3rd clusters, but tapered off and simply pushing to 240lb next time whilst continuing some of this mobility work.

Tested Incline BB bench for the first time. Simply worked up the progression to 135lb. Those 5 reps were hard but not my max. Felt pretty shaky, which is understandable considering the fact that I've never done it before.

Pullups, I forgot my chalk at home so decided to just do 3 sets of BW.

Curls were 4 reps less than before (failed on rep 6), but that's understandable considering lack of chalk and fatigued biceps from curling.

Deadlift: 225lb x 3, 315lb x 3

Bench Press: 115lb x 5, 175lb x 4, x 2, x 1, 125lb x 6 (PR + 1 rep)

Weighted Pullups: Belt + 40lb x 3, x 3, x 1 (PR + 1 rep)

Deadlift, my grip (mixed grip) slipped off the bar 4th rep because I had lost a lot of chalk during the set. I've got to find a way to really pack it on the hands. Anyway, I think I can get at least 4 reps sans my grip. I know I wasn't going to pull **** 2nd cluster so I left it be. Will repeat with 315lb next deadlift session. I ****ing hate straps so I'm going to forgo them. If this keeps happening I'm just going to start doing some grip endurance stuff. AlexAustralia mentioned months ago about squeezing a tennis ball for endurance. That's probably a good idea.

Anybody know a good way of keeping chalk on the hands? Do I just have to drown my hands in it?

I'm not counting this as a PR until I get 5 reps, despite the fact that this was my first time pulling 3 plates. I also want someone to film me so I can do a form check. Maybe I can drag a friend to the gym next week.

Bench, I gained 1 rep, and went to failure again on rep 5. Though this is a PR, it's not much of a PR. Even my 15RM weight felt heavy so I left it at rep 6. That might have been due to not enough rest, though. Albeit, if I can't progress to 175lb (5lb PR over last cycle), I'm considering dropping flat bench in favor of incline BB bench. I figure incline should carry over to flat bench, and it should be a better exercise considering my levers (long arms).

Pullups gained 1 rep as I work up to 5. Last cluster, I failed at the top of the pullup, so I didn't count it.

Forewent curls today because my wrist feels a bit tweaked after benching.

I might be able to eek out one more PR before I need to SD/deload. I may consider deloading a movement or two as opposed to a systematic deload/deconditioning if the other movements are still progressing and the former movements are not.

Last edited:
Back