The Da Vinci Deit

Falco

The Da Vinci Diet
52% Carbohydrates, 28% fat, 20% protein. Lots of fish, fruits, veggies, & grains. Very similar to the HSN nutrition FAQs:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Calories should be high. Take bodyweight and multiply it by 18 or 20 depending on fat gain. This should give you about 500 to 1,000 above maintenance. Protein should be at least 0.8-1 gram per pound of bodyweight. Avoid saturated fat (within reason).
Take a protein supplement before and after training. Use creatine as well. EFAs should be included (Fish oil and CLA).
Actually, most guys take in too much protein. It isn't that too much protein will hurt them - assuming they are healthy to begin with - but too much protein can actually inhibit gains. I know, it sounds totally contradictory to what you read everywhere, but it is true. Let me explain.
The ability of the body to grow is effected by the ratio of protein to carbs. It is an inverted U shaped curve - or bell curve - where the top or highest point of the curve is a ratio of 12-15% protein to carbs (diet consisting of ~15% protein). At one peak you have all carbs, at the other you have all protein. It has to do with thermogenesis and hormones.
So, if a skinny guy wants to gain weight, he needs to plan a diet where he gets 15% of his calories from protein.
Now this may seem contradictory to the general rule of 1 gram per pound bodyweight. I'm not saying that a guy can't gain weight with more than 15% calories from protein, I'm only saying that weight gain is greatest at 15%. He will be ok with an intake of 0.75 grams/pound FFM to gain muscle. In fact, everybody should use FFM instead of bodyweight to plan protein intake, but sometimes it's just too hard to figure it out, so most people use bodyweight.
For a guy who isn't all that skinny, or even a little fat, he should increase his protien intake to 20-25%. This will increase thermogenesis and prevent some fat gain as calories increase above maintenance.
Does HSN follow the “golden ratio?” My diet is very Mediterranean, so I find this to be a pretty cool concept. The math of Da Vinci & the science of HSN coming together . . .

HSN doesn't follow any ratio.

But in general, if you follow the recommendations (1g/lb of protein, ~25% calories from fats, rest carbs) it comes out very close.

Interesting concept, but a bunch of bull. Just because it somehow matches to some golden ratio doesn't mean a thing.

Back