The Leangains Guide

abanger

The Leangains Guide

Martin Berkhan said:
...The Intermittent Fasting protocol consists of two phases; the fasting period and the overfeeding period. The basic idea behind this protocol is to provide nutrients at a time where they will be used for recovery and repair, being the post workout window. In order to receive the benefits of nutrient partitioning, the protocol consists of a fasting period, lasting 16 hours. This means you initiate your first meal 16 hours before eating the last meal on the night before (which is easily done by skipping breakfast and lunch). Thus, ideally all eating is done within an 8 +-1 hour timeframe. Most do well with 3 meals, some may even prefer 2 or 4. To some this may seem daunting, as some will assume that hunger will be an issue, but this is anecdotally not the case; the fast has strong appetite suppressant properties, which is partly explained by increased catecholamine output during the fast. Contrary to popular belief, there is no proteolysis during this period. You do not need to worry that you will be “burning” muscle tissue during the fast...

Its an interesting concept, Martin's 16/8 IF setup.

When bulking I tried it out just for one day, but not being a naturally big eater I struggled to cram in all my calories for the day (made more difficult since it was a training day, which occurred during my 8 hours eating time).
A bit better time and meal management probably would have helped me here.

But in terms of hunger, a true 16 hour calorie fast (water, black coffee/tea, etc allowed) really doesn't cause huge hunger issues.

I think it might be particularly ideal for dieting/cutting, because
- the fasted state might make hunger management easier than say 6 crappy little meals over 12+ hours.
- all your meals in a shorter timespan should mean you get a better fullness/satiety feeling when you do actually eat

so how do you get around the people who train in the AM,or for shiftworkers who train AM 1wk and PM the next wk.

It a good question.... might have to wait until he releases the book. The thing is ofcourse it not gunna be for everyone.
But I can imagine that eating for 8 hours from say 9am to 5pm, and then having to fast the rest of the day would probably suck.
Shiftworkers, well, they are kinda screwed up by their odd hours anyways :/

Early Morning Fasted Training

so how do you get around the people who train in the AM,or for shiftworkers who train AM 1wk and PM the next wk.
Martin Berkhan said:
If all this sounds like micromanaging to you, that's exactly what it is. Inquiring minds would probably like to know what, if any, benefits there are in maintaining a fasted state a few hours post-workout when it comes to muscle growth and recovery. But I'd be hard pressed to make such arguments when there aren't any. The real growth takes place later in the day, when the feeding-window is initiated. Until then we make sure that:

* Muscle protein synthesis is stimulated and protein breakdown inhibited by regular feedings of BCAA pre- and post-workout.

* Appetite is suppressed and insulin sensitivity maintained throughout the fast.

* The feeding-window is initiated at the usual, entrained, time point.

This is how I have solved the dilemma of early morning fasted training without compromising the results of my clients.

Back