Three Macrocycles In

I would also say swap as many of your machine exercises as you can to free weights.

That is very true. Machines can cause more damage and improper muscle balance than free weights. The best thing to do is to consult with someone knowledgeable about rehabbing troublesome areas and get those fixed before you blindly go lifting weights.

Also, please read the E Book as almost all your questions are answered intelligently there.

I would swap your machine pull down exercises to pull ups when it comes to the 5 rep ranges. I also believe standing barbell press to be one of the safest shoulder exercises but don't do it if it makes you uncomfortable.

When it comes to diet. 2 tools have helped me greatly and are essential to success. IIFYM and myfitnesspal.

Go onto the IIFYM website use the IIFYM calculator and plug in your details (height, weight, amount of exercise you do etc). Remember that it's difficult to do both at the same time so decide whether you want to build muscle or cut fat.

Select whether you want to lose weight or build muscle. The calculator will output a calorie number along with a break down of the macros that make up that number (Protein, carbs, fat).

All you have to do is eat that amount of calories everyday by sticking to the macro numbers.

Then go to myfitnesspal which as a huge database of pretty much every food including the calorie number and macro breakdown.

All you have to do is log what you eat and try and stick to the calorie and macro numbers from IIFYM. It doesn't really matter what you eat within reason.

@charr

Sorry i didnt follow the pull down exercises thing, which are you referring to?

Thanks for the diet advice. I was already using the myfitnesspal app but hadnt heard of IIFYM, ill be sure to check it out!

I was referring to the machines you use for back. If you can do pull ups instead do those. Also bent over barbel row is a great exercise for back

For me I can't do them on the high rep ranges so I so them when I get to the 5 rep block

@Totentanz @mickc1965 @Mojo77

Hey guys, I've ultimately decided I do have more fat on my abdominal region than I'd really like and a few other things and I want to start a cutting phase. I feel like loosing this weight and toning up the existing muscle mass I have to be more visible will be good for confidence and help me greatly in the long run.

My question to you guys is what should I change in terms of diet, foods to eat, foods not to eat, calorie intake each day etc.
Also what changes do I need to make in terms of the actual lifting aspect? I was planning on doing the same exercises and continue to lift 3x a week.

Thank you guys for all your help its greatly appreciated.

Sorry I can already see you are doing assisted pull ups so thats good. Definetly include some barbell rows if you can though

Regarding your reply above. You can stick to the 3 day per week. But my previous reply about IIFYM will help you with everything else. You can eat what you want but stick to the protein, carb, and fat ratio that IIFYM will give you.

Sorry I can already see you are doing assisted pull ups so thats good. Definetly include some barbell rows if you can though

No worries. I'm not quite strong enough to be able to do regular pull ups but i'm doing what I can. Thanks for the other exercise advice, ill definitely look into those

@Totentanz @mickc1965 @Mojo77

Hey guys, I've ultimately decided I do have more fat on my abdominal region than I'd really like and a few other things and I want to start a cutting phase. I feel like loosing this weight and toning up the existing muscle mass I have to be more visible will be good for confidence and help me greatly in the long run.

My question to you guys is what should I change in terms of diet, foods to eat, foods not to eat, calorie intake each day etc.
Also what changes do I need to make in terms of the actual lifting aspect? I was planning on doing the same exercises and continue to lift 3x a week.

Thank you guys for all your help its greatly appreciated.
@Drew Whitt,

It's good that you have made a decision now all you have to do is stick with it, have you downloaded the ebook as there is a complete section in there on diet and training during a cut, see below

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nz28u6ifk7h36he/HST_Ebook.pdf]http://www.mediafire.com/download/nz28u6ifk7h36he/HST_Ebook.pdf

Good luck!!!!

For shoulder rehab, I have found that seated low cable row face pulls using a rope and external band rotations were great for me. Saved me from shoulder surgery from doing poorly executed seated shoulder presses and lateral raises for too many years.

Hello adpowah.

The biorhythm diet really helped me. I'm down to 181lb but still not lean. However I decided to do a clean bulk for a few cycles to get some strength back. I'd been dieting that long I have lost alot of strength.

When I switch to a cut again i'll be coming at it from a much better place this time.

I've been around the forums just getting on with things quietly haha.

Thanks for asking.

@Drew Whitt ,

Excellent choice. I'd say stick with your full body routine 3x a week and try to keep the progression in weights going. I would make minor changes only to your diet given it is on par already. eat six times a day, no carbs or fats after say 7 pm in the evening. Keep your protein high at around 190 gr for your weight. Keep your fats at around 80 gr and fill the remainder with complex carbs. simple carbs only post workout to replenish glycogen. Do not lose more then 1 pound a week to mi nimize muscle and strength loss. Do micro adjustments along the way if you lose too much or too litle.
Some moderate cardio might help as well on your off days.

I'd also check out the youtube channel of Omar Isuf. Aside from the presentation style on which I will not comment, I think he gives out some solid advice on these topics as cutting.

@Old and Grey ,

I'd say shoulder position needs to be assessed beforte doing any pressing. In general, for desk jockeys with a typically forward tilted shoulder position, all shoulder pressing is a definite no-no.

@Drew Whitt ,

eat six times a day, no carbs or fats after say 7 pm in the evening.
Meal sizes and timing isn't super critical and probably not something you want to suggest a beginner focus on. Just hit the macros on a daily basis and try and eat on a fairly regular food schedule.

@Mojo77 @adpowah

Thanks guys.
I might kinda struggle with eating 6 meals a day. I work 1o hour days and then hit the gym right after. Sorta difficult to fit in 6 meals when your day is like that. I really can't thank you guys enough for your help. I've started tracking my fats carbs and proteins today and plan to continue doing long into the future.

@Drew Whitt

The best thing to do is to consult with someone knowledgeable about rehabbing troublesome areas and get those fixed before you blindly go lifting weights.

Regarding this quote by O&G I would advise you also to get your hands on a copy of the Triggerpoint therapy workbook by Clair Davies. It is pure gold. Sooner or later you will mess up something anyway. In most of the cases it will be a strain, inflammation or irritation caused by a triggerpoint. Knowing how to detect them and treat them yourself is key. While triggerpoints can subside by themselve, they will most likely not dissapear without proper de-activation. They will go to a dromant state and return in full force once you resume activity

@adpowah

I've never understood why it is adviced to beginners to stick to just a few basics while so much more can be done when doing things correctly and optimal from the get go. I don't know why beginners should settle for sub-optimal.

if I would have known from the beginning what I know now, I wouldn't have had two missed bulks and big waist time of a cut to get back to normal. I wouldn't have gotten injured big time (thanks to SS Ripp "off" toe) and If I did anyway I wouldn't have been out of the gym uselesly for almost one and a half year because of a totally messed up shoulder, upper and lower arm. Indeed, Kiné did jack chit in my case, countless hours wihtout the slightest improvement. What I truely needed and figured out myself was get into the correct posture improvement routine, get rid of any aggravating exercise, start intensive triggerpoint therapy by myself and within the matter of a few weeks I was cured.

It is clear from the above that if all of that did not happen, I would have been much, much further size and strengthwise than I am today. On the other hand, it was a fine learning experience and it has learned me to forget about cookie cutter programs. One has to develop their own programs from the get go and settle for nothing less but optimal for one self.

Last edited:
@Drew Whitt

I work long hours as well. I have my 10 o'clock and 4 o'clock meal with me to work each day. Eating more frequently will keep you better satied during the day, then three times, especially during a cut. It is also easier to get in the needed calories in 6 small meals, compared to just 3 big ones.

Another good read could be The life plan, by dr Jeffry Life. He gives a good idea on what, aside from training, your nutrition and supplementation should be like. Complete with sample mealplan and recipes. While you don't have to follow it strictly, it gives you a good idea of the do's and don'ts.

While I agree that 6 smaller more frequent meals is preferable to 3 larger ones it really does depend on what your calorie intake is for the day - take for instance [USER=92205]@charr
who was struggling to lose weight at 1700-1800 kcals weighing in at over 180 lbs, if he were to eat six meals a day that would be an average of 283-300 kcals per meal (which IMO is just a snack) and obviously if he cut calories further then that would reduce this figure even lower, which will not keep hunger at bay during a cutting phase. In his case it would be better to eat three (of four) larger meals.[/user]

Last edited:
Back