Timing of workouts and meals

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ Feb. 05 2003,1:28)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (edziu @ Feb. 05 2003,6:10)]It's more focused on preventing swings in blood sugar, which you're prone to when comsuming very few calories.
how does consuming few calories make you prone to blood sugar swings, surely that would depend on what you r eating.
This keeps coming back to the top because of people voting, so I though I'd finally answer your question. . .

The blood sugar swings will depend on what you're eating; but regardless, those swings will be larger if your baseline blood sugar is lower because of reduced calorie consumption, especially for longer periods of time. A cup of coffee with a little sugar will not cause a dramatic spike if I had breakfast a little while ago, but if I've been fasting for several hours, it will cause a dramatic bounce.

If you're not consuming carbs (ketogenic), the effect won't happen much, but the sensivitivity is still elevated after a long stretch with no food.

Well this is way off-topic but i`ve been wondering....how diabetic muslims manage during the Ramadan?

And back to the subject
tounge.gif
What i see, as topic starter pointed out, that it`s difficult to eat about one hour after training then there is something wrong with postworkout drink. You should be able to digest it rapidly. Also i`ve noticed that best results (in my case) are gained when you eat 1,5-2 hours before training and leaving the preworkout drink out.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Well this is way off-topic but i`ve been wondering....how diabetic muslims manage during the Ramadan?

Maybe God (Allah, they call Him I think) gives them a break from the real way the body functions, so they become temporarily immune from blood sugar swings. Or maybe they just suffer through it as sacrifice or something  :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And back to the subject   What i see, as topic starter pointed out, that it`s difficult to eat about one hour after training then there is something wrong with postworkout drink. You should be able to digest it rapidly. Also i`ve noticed that best results (in my case) are gained when you eat 1,5-2 hours before training and leaving the preworkout drink out.

That's because there is nothing special about pre/post workout drinks. If you already have all the protein, calories, carbs and everything else you need provided by your diet (and without the protein drinks or whatever supplement you use as pre/post workout drink), I pretty much doubt you'll be losing out on so much muscle growth if you just skipped the workout drinks. In fact, the point of pre/post workout drinks/supplements is recovery, not really muscle growth, don't be fooled by "extreme muscle growth" claims of supplement companies.

Protein synthesis will be affected by pre/post workout nutrition. They will be inceased higher than if you just worked out without proper pre/post workout nutrition, but this amount is small, not extremely significant. What's more important is your intake over the 24hour+ period after workout (protein synthesis). And pre/post workout nutrition is not limited to pre/post workout drinks/shakes, except that these drinks/shakes are often more convenient than a real meal.

Regards,
-JV

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jvroig @ Aug. 12 2005,12:04)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Well this is way off-topic but i`ve been wondering....how diabetic muslims manage during the Ramadan?
Maybe God (Allah, they call Him I think) gives them a break from the real way the body functions, so they become temporarily immune from blood sugar swings. Or maybe they just suffer through it as sacrifice or something  :)
and then allah rewards them with 72 virgins.

Hi guys,
I was just reading through this thread and saw that someone mentioned the Warrior Diet.  I started following the diet (loosely) at a bodyweight of approx. 230 lbs. and went up to a peak of 248 lbs at 16% bodyfat (I'm now 237 @ 13%).  You can gain muscle and strength following the undereating/overeating cycle.  Over the past 2 months, I've tightened up the overeating cycle (less ice cream and candy bars) and have gone down to my present weight.  Approx. 2 lbs of muscle gained and 6 lbs of fat loss; starting at 242.  It definitely goes against traditional nutritional recommendations; but it frees you up immensely.  You don't have to spend time making food all day, timing your meals, drinking protein shakes, etc.  Just my 2 cents.
Bob

i am going to try the warrior diet for a little while.
i cant do much physical activity due to an injury. i want to just give myself a break from eating, clear myself out and try something different. not too concerned about muscle loss because im going to do HST as soon as i heal up and follow a 'normal' bulking diet, so ill gain all of it back and then some.

Back