Too close to the project

to clarify
if your looking to add wgt, any wgt.chow down....going from 2800-3000 cals a day to a steady diet of 4-5-6000 cals a day will surely put weight on. all kinds of wgt. fat and muscle.
depending on your lifestyle/work etc. 3000 cals a day is not really that much. for some it may be maint. cals others its bulk but for you its obviously not doing the job. going up in cals (xtra 500 a day, mostly good pro) for a month will do 2 things. hopefully youll see some muscle gains and youll get a better idea of where your cals need to be to gain it. if nothing this month bump again next and continue to eval.
i realize this is a longer approach but i like it better than super eating. i agree w/totentanz and others that at this stage bulking diet wouldnt kill you and its the approach i took when i was your wgt. the problem for me was when i hit my goal (215lbs) i was bigger but not better (imo) and had no real specific info on diet except to eat....a lot.
after finally charting and adjusting my meals for a yr or so i now know my maint. cal and pro levels, that im pretty carb sensitive, supplements that do and dont work for me etc.
the bottom line tenacious is its your goals and only your goals. personally i like the charting approach b/c at the end youve got some specific info to go on but it does take time and patience to get to know your body.
good luck

I suppose I was trying to take the easy road with my diet tracking.

I'll go back through that Maintaining Daily Calories thread and look for that log.

Thanks guys.

Never ceases to amaze me...I'm a former endurance athlete. If I want I can hang up this mouse and peel off 15-20 miles on the trail with no prep. When I do 5 deadlifts during the 5's I'm sucking wind harder than after a sprint-tri.

go figure

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tenacious @ Feb. 10 2006,3:17)]I suppose I was trying to take the easy road with my diet tracking.
I'll go back through that Maintaining Daily Calories thread and look for that log.
Thanks guys.
Never ceases to amaze me...I'm a former endurance athlete. If I want I can hang up this mouse and peel off 15-20 miles on the trail with no prep. When I do 5 deadlifts during the 5's I'm sucking wind harder than after a sprint-tri.
go figure
tenacious
part of the muscle gain difficulty may lie in how former an endur. athlete you are. if your still doing some running, biking hiking, etc just remember to figure that in to your nutr. charting. i used to run college xc & track and then followed that up with a career in wildland fire. needless to say that much aerobic work has a huge impact on your ability to gain muscle and weight.
if your true goal is to just get bigger period or even to just add some muscle only, short intense cardio can still have its place in workouts but i would stay away from too much long endurance work.

Back