Training log

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fausto @ Nov. 16 2005,3:52)]Darn, how did you guess!
laugh.gif

I guess we're all the same, guns and vanity go together, hey?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Hahaha, yeah..

15 inch arms Fausto, mine are the same size, but I am not content with them (content being a lot different than happy) I do reckon you are shorter than me (I'm 6"2')... question therefore is:

How tall are you?

-Colby

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]15 inch arms Fausto, mine are the same size, but I am not content with them (content being a lot different than happy) I do reckon you are shorter than me

Yep, you right! You good at guessing I'm just 5'6", my goals are:

80 Kgs (currently 70 Kg)
17" guns
23" or so thighs, currently 22" (squatting 130 Kg, will try 140 Kg this cycle)
Calves 16" - Currently 15"
Waist - ah...a serious problem this one 30" (currently 32")
Neck 17" (currently 15.5")
Chest 46 (currently 43.5")

I never said I was content, thus the reason why I think I can reach 17"! And I will only stop when I realize I cant get it!
laugh.gif

Yep, 15" for guy who is 6'2" tall looks slim, lucky me, hey?
laugh.gif

As you can see I am not that far from my targets, just gotta hang in there! :D

140kg/300lb pound squat will be nice to throw on the resume eh?

Think you may might be closer to 85kgs for 17inch guns @ 5'6...

...what are the numbers for weight gain in your last cycles?

Jester

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]140kg/300lb pound squat will be nice to throw on the resume eh?

eh...eh...eh...not too bad I'd say
tounge.gif

Have done 4 cycles so far, first two cycles rapid growth, up 7 kgs, but then I got scared as the fat was getting too high, got to almost 15% and I slowed down.

Now I have kept myself at 70 - 72 for while, but this cycle I am free to load up a little more on the nutrition due to the higher frequency, so I'll keep you posted.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Think you may might be closer to 85kgs for 17inch guns @ 5'6...

You reckon? Let's see as I don't want to get too big either, I'll look square, like Mohamed Mackawy remember him, not exactly the way I'd like to look. Maybe i should stop at 16" and just ne happy!
laugh.gif

I suppose it depends where your mass goes, how much fat you carry to get to 17" guns...10kg for 2 inches on the arms seems just a lil light.

I doubt you'll get the square boulder look too soon
tounge.gif
It's not something you just 'stumble' upon.

I remember Mohammed Makawy because he was one of the big names when I first got interested in bodybuilding back in the '80s. The guy had incredible triceps--among the best I've ever seen.

Grip

He sure did, but me being a short #### like him, I don't want to get that square no siree!
laugh.gif

Jester

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I doubt you'll get the square boulder look too soon It's not something you just 'stumble' upon.

Thanks for the kind encouragement, but its getting there pretty soon mate, you'll be surprised when you short how quick you can get looking like that
laugh.gif

Anyway I'll keep that in check, of course
thumbs-up.gif

Back to serious stuff:

It seems like I hit the right track, whether it is the higher frequency or the serious attention to compounds, I don't know, but I feel tighter each day!

Yesterday's w/o was quick and efficient, the motivation is not always easy to come by after a crappy day at work, but hey once the iron gets going, ther is nothing stopping this "meat head"
laugh.gif

Although I have shed some weight (weighed in this morning @ 69 Kgs.), the look is improving, I wish I had a camera! However this was on a empty tank, surely will go back to 70 kg after my morning fill!

Nothing was hard yesterday and there was luxury time to fit in chins (missed the other day), even the deadlifts were friendly
laugh.gif
, I better enjoy them now before they start kicking my @$$.
laugh.gif

Ciao

Continued rumblings!

The iso's went rather quick yesterday!
tounge.gif

Arms looking buff for sure!
happy.gif
I get the feeling if I keep up the nutrition I may put on some good size.

I'll be doing negatives right into Christmas and stopping just before New Year, don't know if family (extended) will alow for that, if not I'll have to stop at the end of 5's.

One thing that is worrying me, the french curls I am doing are causing an exquisite elbow pain (right on top of the bone of the fully contracted position) this is using a E-Z bar and 30 Kg/66.67 Lb for 15's.

Do you guys think an alternative such as dumbell overhead extensions will help? How about overhead cable extensions?
When things hurt one is supposed to stop, but I need to find an alternative for the triceps for the isolation days. :confused:

Darn, the a la vicious incline curls (done both arms at the same time, underhand grip right through) feel sooo good, I can feel the deep stretch and the pain (just love it) when to finish off I let them just hang for 1 minute or so
laugh.gif

Why are we meat heads so sadistic?
laugh.gif
If we did not know any better you'd swear we into S. and M.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Yo Fausto :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]One thing that is worrying me, the french curls I am doing are causing an exquisite elbow pain (right on top of the bone of the fully contracted position) this is using a E-Z bar and 30 Kg/66.67 Lb for 15's.

Do you guys think an alternative such as dumbell overhead extensions will help? How about overhead cable extensions?
Dumbbell overhead extnsions won't work if you'll retain the same equivalent weight (I mean if you put the two dumbbells together and they still equal the EZ Bar weight). You'll just end up hurting the elbows one at a time :D

Happens to me too. Simply reduce the weight. Sorry old chap.
laugh.gif

You don't really have to find an alternative. Just keep on banging at it. You may have to reduce the weight slightly at first so you won't feel so much pain. Then keep banging at that weight. After a few workouts it'll start feeling lighter and painless, and you can move on with the increment. Tricky stuff. My bicep curls also get incremented faster than the triceps thanks to my annoying elbow joint aches. I don't really care though, because it doesn't bother my compounds.

Anyhoo, regards! :)
-JV

Darn JV

Drop the weight you say, and it will work, you promise?
laugh.gif

Only joking...just did not want to give up on tricep iso exercises just yet.

Yep, will do, and waht drop do you suggest old mate?

Down to 25, less 20 you would say? I can just see my partner's face, we can do it together! Great!
laugh.gif

Yeah, I was going to suggest bench dips, too. They aren't a good stretch-point move like French presses, but they're awesome because you can use some serious weight without putting a lot of strain on your elbows.

the a la vicious incline curls (done both arms at the same time, underhand grip right through) feel sooo good, I can feel the deep stretch and the pain (just love it) when to finish off I let them just hang for 1 minute or so

I did these for the first time a week or so ago. Hadn't done any specific biceps work in about two months, so I went really light, just 20-pound dumbbells. Well, they felt like 40s. I was sore for two days!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jester @ Nov. 18 2005,10:13)]Dips (regular, tricep orientated or bench) instead of an isolation move..?
fausto has compound days for those

how about skullcrushers if no one mentioned those.. they are a great stretch point tricep exercise

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Jester

I doubt you'll get the square boulder look too soon It's not something you just 'stumble' upon.

Thanks for the kind encouragement, but its getting there pretty soon mate, you'll be surprised when you short how quick you can get looking like that

Anyway I'll keep that in check, of course

Just implying that we all WISH it was that simple . . .wake up one day and you're as chiesled as Michaelangelo's David @ 225lbs . . . but we have to work for it
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote (Jester @ Nov. 18 2005,10:13)
Dips (regular, tricep orientated or bench) instead of an isolation move..?

fausto has compound days for those

how about skullcrushers if no one mentioned those.. they are a great stretch point tricep exercise

Bench dips ARE essentially an isolation exercise. Slight use of shoulders/pecs but then the anterior delts are involved in BB and EZ Bar curls as well.

If he has elbow pain, then I don't think a stretch point movement is the way to go. I wouldn't recommend flyes to someone with a bad shoulder, for instance.

Btw, is a french curl the same as a skullcrusher? French curl is standing? What's the difference?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Darn JV
Drop the weight you say, and it will work, you promise?  
Only joking...just did not want to give up on tricep iso exercises just yet.
Yep, will do, and waht drop do you suggest old mate?
Down to 25, less 20 you would say? I can just see my partner's face, we can do it together! Great!
Just a slight reduction in weight. 5 or 10 pounds may do it. Then, like I said, you could keep on that weight for a workout more or two, afterwards you'll probably feel it's so much easier and can now increment. Hopefully, you'll find that the weight that used to give you elbow pain is now pretty painless. That's what happened to me, I'm sure you'll be ok.

Regards,
-JV

Guys

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]how about skullcrushers if no one mentioned those.. they are a great stretch point tricep exercise

Colby - Skullcrushers and frenchies don't have much difference between them, the original french curl is done standing, I do a variation on a 60 degree bench...it'll still hurt.

The bench dips which I can do, might just work and yep they're an isolation exercise, no probs because teh frenchies are done on iso's day anyway
happy.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hopefully, you'll find that the weight that used to give you elbow pain is now pretty painless. That's what happened to me, I'm sure you'll be ok.

JV - I'll try your suggestion, let's see, however just for kicks I tried on saturday night frenchies with d/b's and man...they were light (8 Kg each) and the pain was still very much there, so i might have to drop them entirelly for a spell.

You guys are great though, thanks for all the help.
thumbs-up.gif

Instead of dropping triceps iso's altogether, you might want to try triceps pushdowns (cable). I can go heavy with them without pain in the elbows. Just make sure that you give your elbows some time to "heal", maybe 2 workouts with light weights before packing on again.

Dimitris

It is ceratinly an option, the reason why I did notmentioned it yet was because this particular exercise does not hit the triceps muscle as musch as the crushers/frenchies.

But yep it is another option and I will reconsider.

Bench dips....heavy isolation, take the stress of elbow (it's on ant delts/upper pecs)....what's not to love?
tounge.gif

If your elbow still hurts from a really light weight, then I guess your injury is much worse than mine. I shy away from injuries the moment I feel it coming, I don't take that macho "through the pain" crap, I've been through it before and it sucked.

Anyhoo, well,. if you don't want to do pushdowns, perhaps your elbow just needs a little rest. No sense forcing it to do anything if it's already actually telling you to stop. Just thank God in the meantime that it doesn't affect your compound movements.

Regards,
-JV

Back