TR's log

congrats on the gains TR, and good for you for not crying about the belly fat (like me) in every other post!

btw, im becoming an avid max stim/myo reps fanatic

don't think I'll ever go back!

just have to tighten up the cycle progression, as this round I kind of increased weight on a 'when ready' basis (which actually served me well)

look forward to chatting with you about this soon

Monday, November 17

Max-Stim Phase I (starting over once again)

RDLs 10x45, 10x95, 2x5x135, 5x185
Deadlifts 10x45, 10x95, 2x5x135, 5x185, 3x225, 1x275, 1x295, 20x225 (ms)
Chins BW-20  4x5
Dips  BW-20  4x5
Triceps Pushdown 4x5x100
Preacher Curls 2x10x27
Skulls 2x10x37

The presidential elections took a bit of my time, resulting in another unplanned 14-day SD. So I figured I'd start my Max-Stim cycle over once again.

I took a long time for my deadlifts, warming up very carefully, supersetting RDLs and deads until things started to get heavy. I gradually increased the weight, leading up to a heavy 275 and 295 lb lift before starting my work set. I used a double overhand grip for the 275 lb lift, but went to a mixed grip for the 295 lb lift. Both went up rather easily.

Everything else was light and quick. It was good to be back at the iron.

Hey TR, welcome back to the iron. Your success with max-stim has really peaked my interest and I'd like to give it a try after Christmas when I start my cut. Do you have a downloadable version of the max-stim template for setting up a cycle? I can't seem to get the one on the max-stim thread here to work for me. Thanks

Here you go, BAX --

Max-Stim: The Routine

M-Time – The Max Factor

M-Time is the time between each rep, after each rep the weight should be racked or set down and gotten completely out of your hands for the duration of the M-Time. This time can be manipulated as advancing fatigue ensues, IE first few reps use 3-5 seconds, next 5 to 10 - use 7 seconds, during the last 5 use 10 seconds. The starting time is usually going to be dictated by your own recovery from repetitive contractions and the intensity you are using. As the cycle progresses the M-Time may need to be increased to combat the effects of fatigue from heavier loading. The ideal starting time will vary and some experimentation will probably be needed to find the adequate time to use. In any case the M-Time should be used from the very first rep.

Frequency

As we’ve mentioned in the previous chapter once per week isn’t going to cut it when you are trying to build as much muscle tissue in the shortest amount of time possible. With that said the workout is set up in an alternating workout fashion, A&B routines, they are both full body workouts but may be split to upper/lower, push/pull or whatever you deem necessary to fit into your training schedule.

Each Body part should be hit at least 2 times per week with at least 1 set of the primary movement and if needed 1 set of the secondary.

A typical implementation would be-

Monday and Thursday A routine,

Tuesday and Friday B routine, this can be arranged in any fashion depending on your training level or schedule.

Other examples;

3X week
Week 1
Monday-A
Wends-B
Fri-A
Week 2
Monday-B
Wends-A
Fri-B

2X week
Monday-A
Thursday-B

Rep Cadence and Tempo

Each Compound movement IE the first movement for each exercise should have a cadence of as fast as possible concentric, a controlled eccentric. After each complete rep is performed the weight should be racked for the M-Time being used. (see M-Time above)

Each isolation or subsequent movement (if chosen to do so) should be performed with as fast as possible concentric and a controlled eccentric. Again after each rep the weight should be racked for the M-time being used.

Rest Between Sets

If choosing to do multiple sets, I only recommend one, the rest between sets should allow for enough strength recovery to successfully complete at least 80% of the same number of reps as the previous set.

Working in a circuit fashion may be advantageous as this may allow enough time between sets but if working in a gym where equipment availability is an issue then simply use a rest period as described in the previous paragraph.

Bicep and Tricep Work

Although direct bicep and tricep work may not be necessary since many of the pulling and pushing movements already activate these muscles many trainees simply can not have a successful workout without the addition of direct upper arm work. With this in mind you may add in any of your favorite bi and or tri work but I do not recommend doing this more than 1 or 2X week and I recommend the volume be kept low for each workout these are used. If you do I also recommend you use the same set up, a compound followed by an isolation exercise that concentrates on stretch, racking the weight between reps.

Bicep Recommendation-following your last set of Back exercises add 1 or 2 sets of incline DB curl, concentration curl, BB curl or whatever isolation exercise you choose to use.

Tricep Recommendation-following your last pressing/pushing movement for chest or shoulders add 1 or 2 sets of Tricep Extensions, pushdowns or whatever isolation exercise you choose to use.

Muscle Specific

This setup may also be used in conjunction with any individual muscle group in order to specifically induce growth to lagging muscle groups or address symmetry issues.

Progression and starting intensity.

The progression is set up in an undulating linear fashion. There are 3 phases to this program.

Phase 1- Using your 10 RM load 4 workouts per week
Phase 2- Using your 8 RM load 4 workouts per week
Phase 3- Using your 6 RM load 4 workouts per week

Each phase starts out at 75% of the RM for that phase and increases over the duration to a maximum of 110% of the RM.

Example.
10RM load = 100 lbs
Week 1
Workout 1, A routine- 20 Reps –75 lbs.
M-Time- 1 sec. Or whatever is needed to complete 20 reps without achieving any significant burn.
Workout 2, B routine- 20 reps –75 lbs.
M-Time- 1 sec. Or whatever is needed to complete 20 reps without achieving any significant burn.

Workout 3, A routine-20 reps – 80 Lbs
M-Time- 2 sec. Or whatever is needed to complete 20 reps without achieving any significant burn.
Workout 4, B routine- 20 reps –80 lbs.
M-Time- 2 sec. Or whatever is needed to complete 20 reps without achieving any significant burn.

Week 2
Workout 5, A routine-20 reps – 85 Lbs
M-Time- 3 sec. Or whatever is needed to complete 20 reps without achieving any significant burn.
Workout 6, B routine- 20 reps –85 lbs.
M-Time- 3 sec. Or whatever is needed to complete 20 reps without achieving any significant burn.

Workout 7, A routine-20 reps – 90 Lbs
M-Time- 4 sec. Or whatever is needed to complete 20 reps without achieving any significant burn.
Workout 8, B routine- 20 reps –90 lbs.
M-Time- 4 sec. Or whatever is needed to complete 20 reps without achieving any significant burn.

Week 3
Workout 9, A routine-20 reps – 95 Lbs
Workout 10, B routine- 20 reps –95 lbs.

Workout 11, A routine-20 reps – 100 Lbs
Workout 12, B routine- 20 reps –100 lbs.

Week 4
Workout 13, A routine-20 reps – 105 Lbs
M-Time- 5 sec. Or whatever is needed to complete 20 reps without achieving any significant burn.
Workout 14, B routine- 20 reps –105 lbs.
M-Time- 5 sec. Or whatever is needed to complete 20 reps without achieving any significant burn.

Workout 15, A routine-20 reps – 110 Lbs
M-Time- 6 sec. Or whatever is needed to complete 20 reps without achieving any significant burn.
Workout 16, B routine- 20 reps –110 lbs.
M-Time- 6 sec. Or whatever is needed to complete 20 reps without achieving any significant burn.

For planning your routine please download the Excel Spreadsheet here

Increasing the reps-The system is based on 20 reps throughout the cycle. This can be changed if desired. However I do recommend trying to stick to at least 15- 20 reps as it allows sufficient TUT and it is much easier than trying to identify varying reps when fatigue is manipulated in this way.

Decreasing the duration- to decrease the duration from 12 weeks to fewer simply remove the duplicate intensity workouts IE each or every other workout would increase in intensity.

Work Out A
Follow the Exercise order, thigh and calf work may be put last if you prefer
Thighs-
Squat or Leg Press
Super set with Leg Ext or Sissy Squat (if desired)
Leg Curl
Super Set with SLDL or Good Morning (if desired)
Calves-
Standing Calve Raise
Superset with Donkey Calve Raise on Blocks (if desired)
Back-
Wide Grip Pronated Pull Up/Down
Bent BB Row to Bottom of Rib Cage or similar
Chest-
Flat Bench BB/Dips or DB Bench Press
Superset with Fly (if desired)
Shoulder-
Military Press or Shoulder DB Press
Superset with DB Incline Lateral Raise (if desired)
Traps, Rear Deltoid-
BB Laying Chin Row or Seated High Row
Superset with Prone or Bent Shoulder Lateral (if desired)

Workout B
Thigh-
Squat or Leg Press
Super set with Leg Ext or Sissy Squat (if desired)
Leg Curl
Super Set with SLDL or Good Morning (if desired)
Calves-
Standing Calve Raise
Superset with Donkey Calve Raise on Blocks (if desired)
Back-
Narrow Grip Supinated Pull Up/Down
Bent BB Row narrow grip to beltline
Chest-
20 Degree BB or DB Bench Press
Superset with Incline Fly (if desired)
Shoulder-
Primary-Upright Row
Secondary-Superset with Upright Lateral Raise (if desired)
Traps, Rear Deltoid-
DB or BB Shrugs Seated or Standing
Superset with Laying or Bent Shoulder Lateral (if desired)

If knees, shoulders or back is of concern then substitution of exercises can be done as long as plane of movement and degree of stretch is relatively equal for the substitutions. Whether done on free weight or machine should not make a difference. Machines will make this program inherently easier as the racking movement is already accommodated for in most machines. When substituting exercises always keep safety as your top priority.

There is an Excel template that goes with this. I have a copy that I may be able to email you.

Tuesday, November 18

Front Squats 10x45, 2x5x95, 5x135, 5x145
Squats  10x45, 2x5x95, 2x5x135, 4x5x145

Seated (single-leg) Calf Raise 2x10x55
Standing Calf Raise 20x225(ms)
Power Shrugs 20x225 (ms)

Bench Press 10x45, 2x5x65, 5x85, 5x105, 1x125, 4x5x70
Lying Dumbbell Row 20x55 (ms)

Finished in an hour. I was pleased to see 125 lbs go up again on my bench.

<div>
(BAX67 @ Nov. 20 2008,4:37)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Thanks so much TR.  I'm really looking forward to giving this a shot.</div>
To be fair, I've never gotten past Phase Two of the program. Besides, I've modified it every which way from Sunday. Even so, I've had good results with both muscle gains and strength increase.

Dan is the man!

Thursday, November 20

Deadlifts 10x45, 10x95, 2x5x135, 5x185, 3x225, 1x275, 1x305, 20x235 (ms)
Chins BW-10  4x5
Dips  BW-10  4x5
Triceps Pushdown 4x5x110
Preacher Curls 2x10x32
Skulls 2x10x42
Serratus Shrugs 2x10x42

I threw in some serratus shrugs. What the heck, I had the bar overhead doing skulls anyhow...

I was a little tuckered out this time. I've been averaging less than 1200 calories per day, and about 85 grams of carbs. Lyle says two or at maximum three workouts per week on a restricted diet. I'm starting to believe him...
sad.gif

Tuesday, November 25

Front Squats 10x45, 5x65, 5x95, 2x185
Squats  10x45, 5x65, 5x135, 3x225, 4x5x165

Seated (single-leg) Calf Raise 2x10x65
Standing Calf Raise 2x10x235
Power Shrugs 20x235 (ms)

Bench Press 10x45, 2x5x65, 5x85, 5x105, 1x130, 0x135, 0x125, 4x5x75
Lying Dumbbell Row 20x60 (ms)

Rack Pulls 10x365 (singles)

I supersetted my squats and front squats. I planned to do 3x185 for my front squats, but dropped the bar (Clang! oops), so I settled for two. Then I back squatted 3x225 for the first time ever.

I got someone to spot me for my bench press attempts. I was content with 130 lbs for now. That's a PB for me (and you thought your bench sucked...!). The guy spotting me encouraged me to try 135 lbs, but it was too soon after the 130, so it didn't go up. Neither did the 125 lbs I tried too soon after that. Maybe next time.

The rack pulls weren't so impressive. I had the bar set on the power rack's safety rods about knee high, thus I was only moving it a few inches. So I tried standing on some 135 lb plates. Then I added some 10 lb plates. Then I added three 1/4 inch pads. Maybe next time I'll try lowering safety rods a bit.

I've been ingesting less than 1200 calories a day for the past week or so. Lyle says to cut back on lifting on such a diet, so I'm only coming in twice a week for now.

Less than 1200 calories/day and your still managing personal bests. That's awesome. Great squats. I think I just had 1200 cals for breakfast.
wow.gif

Saturday, November 29

Deadlifts 10x45, 10x95, 2x5x135, 5x185, 3x225, 1x275, 0x315, 1x295, 20x245 (ms)
Chins BW-10  4x5
Dips  BW-10  4x5
Triceps Pushdown 4x5x110
Preacher Curls 2x10x37
Skulls 2x10x47
Serratus Shrugs 2x10x47

I was tired today. Everything seemed heavy. The 315 lb deadlift just wasn't gonna happen. Even the 295 lb lift went up slow and shaky. I really didn't think I was going to be able to finish 20 Max-Stim reps of 245 lbs. My M-time went to 15 seconds early. I finished with an M-time of nearly 30 seconds. Maybe I should save my RDLs until after my deadlift work set.

I decided not to try to increase my chins and dips from last time. In retrospect, perhaps I could have. I was able to do four supersets of five reps with only a one minute rest period between sets. But I was a tired puppy...

Thursday, November 4

Front Squats 10x45, 5x65, 5x95, 5x135,
Squats 5x95, 5x135, 3x185, 2x225, 20x165 (ms)

Seated (single-leg) Calf Raise 2x10x60
Standing Calf Raise 2x10x225
Power Shrugs 20x225 (ms)

Bench Press 10x45, 2x5x65, 3x85, 1x105, 1x135 PB, 4x5x70
Lying Dumbbell Row 20x60 (ms)

My schedule has been hectic this past week. Thanksgiving and family have shot my low carb diet to shreds. So I decided to take a diet break. I'll come back to it again in a week or so.

I'm going to back off my lifting schedule as well. That 245 lb. deadlift last Saturday just about did me in. So I decided just to go back to my 85% workout again, and then I'll continue from there.

I hit a 135 lb. bench press today. That has been my goal for more than a year. My messed up shoulder has delayed things. I've been looking forward to bench pressing my bodyweight. Unfortunately, now I weigh 140 lbs (or about ten stone, as Lol would say), so the goal posts have been moved back a bit as yet. It's just as well -- my willing spotter had his hands on my bar, so the PB probably wouldn't count in Rippetoe's gym anyhow...  
sad.gif

10 stone! You great behemoth of a TunnelRat! You barely fit your HST name now.  
smile.gif

Big congrats on your bench PB. That's a great achievement, esp. considering all the shoulder issues you've had. Mine are playing up again, which is a royal pain in the err... shoulders.

Shoulder health is vital to so many lifts - even squats bother mine now - that I am going to have to take it more seriously as I continue to lengthen in days. You've proved it's possible to work around the problem and make progress, so I'll try to take a feather from your cap, sir.

Monday, December 8, 2008

RDLs 10x45, 5x95, 5x135, 5x185
Deadlifts 10x45, 5x95, 5x135, 5x185, 5x225, 1x275, 1x295, 20x225 (ms)
Chins 20xBW (ms)
Dips 20xBW (ms)
Triceps Pushdown 4x5x120
Preacher Curls 2x10x37
Skulls 2x10x47
Serratus Shrugs 2x10x47

I planned to back off on my deadlifts to 215lbs, 85% of my 10RM. But I went ahead with 225lbs, since I already had the big plates on the bar after my warm-up. Even so, this amounts to 20lbs less than last time.

I think perhaps I'm not using my glutes enough when I lift, because my lower back tends to be a bit sore after my workout. On the other hand, I may have simply lost a bit of strength during my two-week cutting diet (it seems like I lost more strength than fat...!
sad.gif
).

I went ahead and increased my chins, dips, and pushdowns. I have no idea what my max may be for any of those exercises, but it's nice to be doing big boy chins and dips and not having to rely on the wussy-assist machine.

<div>
(TunnelRat @ Dec. 08 2008,2:39)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Monday, December 8, 2008 I may have simply lost a bit of strength during my two-week cutting diet (it seems like I lost more strength than fat...!  
sad.gif
).</div>
I've always found that that's the case. While oftentimes my strength eventually went upwards on a cut, the first few weeks saw big strength drops while my body got accustomed to functioning on the new caloric levels.

Thursday, December 11

Front Squats 10x45, 5x65, 5x95, 5x135,
Squats 5x135, 20x175 (ms)

Seated (single-leg) Calf Raise 2x10x70
Standing Calf Raise 20x225 (ms)
Power Shrugs 20x225 (ms)
Rack Pulls 6x365

Bench Press 10x45, 2x5x65, 4x5x75
Serratus Shrugs 10x45, 2x5x65, 4x5x75
Lying Dumbbell Row 20x65 (ms)

I missed Wednesday and will be out of town on Friday, so I made myself find an hour in the gym today.

I almost decided not to do any more bench presses, as my shoulder ached for days after last time. However, it's been better for the past day or two, so I went ahead with the assigned lifts, but skipped attempting another PR.

The rack pulls really seem to drain my energy, even though I am only moving the bar a few inches (hardly much more than a shrug...). My hope is to deadlift 350 lbs before too long. I figure a 365 rack pull might help me get used to handling a heavier bar.

<div>
(TunnelRat @ Dec. 11 2008,10:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The rack pulls really seem to drain my energy, even though I am only moving the bar a few inches (hardly much more than a shrug...). My hope is to deadlift 350 lbs before too long. I figure a 365 rack pull might help me get used to handling a heavier bar.</div>
Can you not lower the pins in small steps so that you can get used to pulling the bar a little further each time?
rock.gif
I guess not or you would have done it.

If the next rack pin step is too much of a jump, standing on a 2&quot; platform instead might help. A few short lengths of 4 x 2 timber laid side-by-side on their flats would add 2&quot; to the pull and would fit in your gym bag.
smile.gif

Monday, January 5, 2009

Starting Over Once Again

Deadlifts 10x135, 5x185, 20x190 (ms)
Chins BW-30 4x5
Dips BW-30 4x5
Triceps Pushdown 2x10x100
Preacher Curls 2x10x27
Skulls 2x10x27

Cardio: one hour walking at 3.2 mph (a bit over 5 kmh)

It's good to be back in the gym again after about a four-week layoff. My holidays amounted to an SD from hell...

I'm still going to follow a modified Max-Stim program. I plan to use Dan's three phase program, based on my 10, 8, and 6RM. I'll begin each phase at 75% for an A and B workout, then increase by 5% until I reach 110% of the given RM for each phase.

Rather than use the exercises Dan suggested (because I frankly don't understand what some of them are...
rock.gif
), I'll be using a Simplify &amp; Win sort of program, consisting of bench, row, chin, dip, squat, and deadlift. I'll throw in some iso's for arms, traps, and legs until the weights get too heavy.

I've been loose with my training and sloppy with my diet over the past month or so. Thus I need to trim down a bit. In addition to keeping a close track of my diet, I intend to walk for an hour every day. That's what I did a coupla years ago when I first sought to lose close to 20 lbs.

Wednesday, January 7

Front Squats 5x95, 5x135
Squats 10x45, 10x65, 5x95, 20x145 (ms)

Bench Press 10x45, 4x5x65
Serratus Shrugs 2x10x65
Lying Dumbbell Row 20x50 (ms)

I didn't feel well, but I made myself go the gym anyhow. I've been away too long to miss any more days. I folded up twice during my MS squats and had to sit for a bit. They weren't heavy or anything (starting a new cycle with weeny weights) -- I was just feeling woozy.

So I just did squat, bench, row and went home. I'm fine today, and I'll be back at it on Friday.

Friday, January 9

RDLs 10x45, 10x95, 10x135
Deadlifts 10x95, 10x135, 5x185, 5x235, 5x255, 20x205 (ms)
Chins BW-30x5, BWx5, BW-20 4x5
Dips BW-30x5, BWx5, BW-20 4x5
Triceps Pushdown 2x10x60
Preacher Curls 2x10x32
Skulls 2x10x32
Serratus Shrugs 2x10x32

Cardio: one hour walking at 3.2 mph (a bit over 5 kmh)

For whatever reason I was very tired after today's workout. The weights are still light, but those deadlifts knocked me on my butt.

The triceps pushdown was done on a new PreCor machine -- very fancy -- lotsa chrome. However the weights, cables, and pullyes are different from the old machine, and the calibration was different. I could hardly move the 100 lb stack, so I settled for 60 lbs; that felt about right.

The one hour 3.2mph walk afterward left me feeling very weak and empty.

Back