Ultra High Frequency Body Part Specialization

Joe.Muscle - you train full body 6 days a week, what does you routine look like? Or should I say how have you set it up

Last edited:
Joe.Muscle - you train full body 6 days a week, what does you routine look like? Or should I say how have you set it up
Nothing fancy it takes me about 20 minutes a day tops...NO direct arm work.

I do a push a pull and legs everday for a 3 on 1 off schedule.

Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday, OFF,Friday,Saturday Sunday.....OFF. and etc.

I progress when I can.

I have gained about 3 to 5 pounds depends on the day of lean mass...eating slightly above maintenance so its not even a bulk which is the impressive part.

My strength is greatly increasing (GREASING the GROOVE...effect...???)

And my joints have never felt better.

If I overeat on this routine fat gain is minimal if even noticeable yet...( I am guessing the daily training and not really going crazy on a bulk with calories is helping with partioning of calories)

And my arms have grown about a quarter of an inch in 3 months and my legs have grown considerably...don't know the measurements I just know my pants are smaller in the waist (waist size has shrank) and my pants fit noticeably tighter in the thighs area of my legs.)

So a day of training may look like

Dips 4 sets
Pullups 4 sets
Squats 4 sets

Another day might be

Shoulder press
Pull ups
Deadlift

Another day might be

Bench
Row
Bodyweight squats

Again its nothing fancy....JUST stay away from adding a lot of exercises and stay away from failure.

Reps are anywhere between 20 to 50 reps depending upon the load.

Last edited:
When I get back in a week, I'll be posting up my new program. It's either three-on, one-off, or 6-days per week. Either way it's full body. Three times a week is fine for some, definitely doesn't cut it for my need to lift though (addiction etc.).

I really think Borge newest training routine is the way to go for me.

I love high frequency and here is the reason why now after almost 3 months.

Undulating periodization: Given the only con of this way of working out is its a little harder to keep up with progression but the more research I read I think undulating periodization is just as good if not better than linear. If for know other reason it keeps the lifter less bored and more excited about training and if you enjoy training your consistency will keep you in the gym more days per year and that equals better results b/c you stick to workout plan.

The second reason is partioning of calories and weight gain. As I am now in my mid thirties and heart health and overall health are more important I try to keep my weight in a healthy range. But I am normal and I will mess up on m diet and overeat like anyone else. What I have noticed is I can make more mistakes on daily full body training and not gain as much fat ...in my case I haven't gained any at all yet...but I will have to see what the long term effects of training like this will be. But after reading many real world cases of were others are following programs like this....long story short it should keep someone leaner year round.

The third reason as volume = hypertrophy and what I have found is you can get by with a little more volume per training session than normal and when you add that up over 6 days it makes a difference. Take a workout were you are doing 30 reps for chest and back 3 times a week = 90 total reps for the week. I have found you can do 20 reps per workout for chest and back each session and recover with no problem and that equals 120 reps per week. That's a 30% increase in total work and your body is recovered just fine.

I could keep going on and on but long story short I love training this way. You do have to get use to staying 3 to 4 reps away from failure at all times but once you get use to that its not a big deal. Plus if you want to blow it out and work to failure every once it a while you will be pleasantly surprised at how much stronger you are.

The ONLY problem I have run into is I basically do NO direct arm work except may 2 sets once or twice a week. Its mentally hard to not do any direct arm work but so far so good. I also don't train shoulders as often as I use to because the shoulder girdle gets a lot of work from rows /chest presses and etc.

Only time will tell if I will have to incorporate more shoulder press and direct arm work to the routine...IF I have to do that then I will have to shift some things around b/c I have found 3 exercises at 4 sets a piece is the sweet spot...when I start getting over motivated and start adding more work on top of that It becomes to much...so I have to keep myself in check in those areas.

Joe, all good points.

Have you looked into incorporating Myo Reps so you do less total reps but equal or greater effective reps allowing you time and energy to work other secondary muscles such as the arms?

Joe, all good points.

Have you looked into incorporating Myo Reps so you do less total reps but equal or greater effective reps allowing you time and energy to work other secondary muscles such as the arms?

I use them at times...for example if I can't get to the gym I may do a set of bodyweight squats really slow and almost to failure were it starts to burn around rep 25 to 30...and then rest for about 3 seconds and keep going up until about 50 reps and stop.

I Also do this with pushups when I can't get to the gym. Bodyweight movements like I just describe basically prime my body for the next day when I can get back into the gym.

Other times when I don't feel like messing with myo reps I will just take a weight around my 20 rep max and do 3 sets of 15 reps and call it a day.

Basically my workout looks like this every week.

Monday (pump day) 50 reps with my 20 rep max. So it may be 3 sets of 17 reps.
Tuesday 4 sets of 6 reps with my 8 rep max.
Wednesday 4 sets of 10 reps with my 12 rep max.

Thursday is off.

*** interesting notes*** I have started doing pec dec flys on my Wednesday work for 2 sets of 10 reps. And I can't explain it and its technically a pre-exhaust old bodybuilding trick (that I know some experts save pre-exhaust works other don't) but anyway for some ODD reason the stretching and 2 set workout from my pec dec flys actually causes my dip workout to be able to lift heavier weight??? I don't know why...but my guess is the flys are stretching out my shoulders and they feel 100% better when doing dips?

Again I know this goes against the grain and everything we have been taught....you would think flys before dips would make my dips weaker but it doesn't and I love doing them this way.

The only issue I am running into right now like you said above were to fit in shoulders and arms.

I just kind of throw shoulders and arms into the mix whenever I feel like it no set schedule...this could become a problem down the road...its to early to tell.

My thinking and HOPE was with all the pushing and pulling 6 days a week my shoulders would get enough training without having to actually work them with a direct exercise...the same with arms.

I don't know if this will hold true or not? But my arms have grown the past 3 months and I have worked them less than normal?

I have been reading a lot of work by Dan John as well as Pavel and others and there are a lot of opinions (not much research) that seems to think as we get older and closer to 40 years old frequency should increase and stay away from failure.

If you look at the Norwegian frequency project you will see that those guys worked at around 70% of there maxes staying well away from failure and they train 6 days a week. They also use a higher volume than I do.

Borge Fagerli has a great article on this and I looked at his dose response curve of how many sets per muscle group to be optimal. Bascially 4 sets is about the sweet spot of training for the average lifter. So using that logic I set my routine up for 4 sets and just varied the reps from low to high...which equals between 24 to 50 reps depending upon the load.

But back to your point what I can't figure out is if I should fit shoulders and arms into the routine everyday or just as needed. I guess one could always cut sets by 1 across the board and then add them that way. So instead of 4 sets of push pull legs...you could do 3 sets of push pull legs and then that would give you room for 1 set of shoulders / bicep and tricep.

I just have really gotten use to not training arms...and to be honest I don't even like direct arm work anymore because I like training minimalist full body...I am more into functional training now and not being all show and No go...if you know what I mean.

But the old bodybuilder in my from 20 years of lifting still wants to do some curls every now and again!

Have you tried doing the myo-reps on the Monday workout doing one set of 20-25 with a set or two of 5 after? You could work your arms in there and see if the occlusion effect works. Also, has Blade updated any information or is his workout discussed in depth in any other forum?

Don't myo-reps violate one of the principals of HST?

"HST suggests that you limit the number of sets per exercise per workout to 1 or 2, based on evidence that sets beyond the first effective set do little to contribute to hypertrophy."

HST is based on only 4 principles. The number of reps/sets is not one of the laid-in-stone principles. That is dependent upon a number of factors that are too numerous to mention here. Review the first chapter of Totz's excellent e book as we all need reminders now and then. I read it "cover-to-cover" at least once per month to keep me pointed in the right direction.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nz28u6ifk7h36he/HST+Ebook.pdf

However, to your underlying question , in general, Myo Reps are meant for advanced lifters who need to break through a plateau.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great feedback Joe.Muscle - I am seeing similar results and benefits (e.g. joint and tendon health) with my clients. I am 4 weeks post-surgery (AC resection + biceps tenodesis) and my recovery wrt strength and painless ROM on a bodyweight-only routine (various Convict Conditioning + calisthenics exercises) is beyond anything both my surgeon and my appointed physical therapist has ever seen... That alone is reason enough for me... :)

Great feedback Joe.Muscle - I am seeing similar results and benefits (e.g. joint and tendon health) with my clients. I am 4 weeks post-surgery (AC resection + biceps tenodesis) and my recovery wrt strength and painless ROM on a bodyweight-only routine (various Convict Conditioning + calisthenics exercises) is beyond anything both my surgeon and my appointed physical therapist has ever seen... That alone is reason enough for me... :)

Hey Blade, I'd be curious to know the specifics of this type of routine. I've been giving thought lately to a stretch of calisthenics-oriented training as part of PT for my shoulder / generally making myself healthier as I creep further into my 30's.

Being older than dirt, I need more frequent SD's and find that extending the 5's can lead to joint pain. In fact, I think my next cycle will be every other day of 12's and 8's and leave the heavy weights for you young buckaroos.

frequency and consistency

I do some of my lifting at home. On my days off I'm tempted to hit my routine 5 or 6 times, while I can only work out twice a day during the week. Is there any reason I shouldn't up the frequency on my days off? Am I at risk of over conditioning on my days off, making my week day workouts less effective?

Back