Unsaturated Fat Levels

colby2152

I understand the importance of EFA's. I also understand that beyond that, good fats are ones which are unsaturated. I have read before that ratios of 2:1 (unsat:sat) or better are good. I have used this as a rule of thumb for foods I eat. However, in my complete daily diet, should I look at the ratio or the total amount of unsaturated fat grams per day?

Some common fatty foods that I eat that also have high ratios are ground meat, hot dogs, cheese, and peanut butter, and since they may have 3-5 grams of unsaturated fat per serving, I was wondering if this was an issue to be aware of.

Thanks,
Colby

i'm not sure about the ratio. but i could comment on the hot dogs... hot dogs?
sneaky2.gif
doesn't look like a good source of healthy fats for me.

Mmm, fats are a funny thing. For me, when trying to lose, it's seems the more fat I eat, when doing lower carb, the more fat I drop. As far as sources, peanut butter and cheese are great in my book, but eh, the hot dogs are probably not the best choice. Usually more crap in them than just the fat.

When going higher fat, I tend to lean towards leaner cuts of beef, cheese, dairy, certain types of fish etc.

As far as the ratios, I never really worry much about it as long as I know my choices are healthier foods, and I maintain whatever macro, protein, carbs, fat, ratio that I'm shooting for.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (skinnyman @ Nov. 17 2005,6:28)]hey Rotlex, do you also use olive oil? :D how high was your fat intake when you were on your low carb diet?
Skinnyman,
Eh, fat intake was pretty high when doing low carb. I'd say average 50-60% of my calories, hehe. Gram wise, probably in the neighborhood of 150-200 depending on my caloric intake at the time. I still go back to LC when I'm trying to cut, it just works wonders for me as far as being able to lose fat, and keep gains. :)
And oh yeah, I do use olive oil as well!

Back