very basic gaining question

Okay, I'm still playing the game for some reason. (since you were clarifying; all I ask)
I once again went on the hunt for pics of BB'ers on lowfat, this time using your suggestion. Once again I found virtually nothing, except a few tweedy looking dweebs who are skinnier than I was before I started lifting. Only one guy I find is using it, having been skinny, then fat, then a trainer, but he bulks and then cuts with CKD from Lyle.
http://images.google.com/imgres?....rl=http
He actually looks pretty good.

<div>
(quadancer @ Apr. 12 2008,10:03)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Okay, I'm still playing the game for some reason. (since you were clarifying; all I ask)
I once again went on the hunt for pics of BB'ers on lowfat, this time using your suggestion. Once again I found virtually nothing, except a few tweedy looking dweebs who are skinnier than I was before I started lifting. Only one guy I find is using it, having been skinny, then fat, then a trainer, but he bulks and then cuts with CKD from Lyle.
http://images.google.com/imgres?....rl=http
He actually looks pretty good.</div>
You found one that met your standard. It doesn't answer the original poster's question though. Did that guy gain muscle and lose fat simultaneously? What about all the other pictures of people you dismissed because they didn't meet your requirement, did they lose fat and gain muscle simultaneously?

<div>
(Martin Levac @ Apr. 12 2008,12:23)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">blah blah blah</div>
LOL wut

<div>
(Aaron_F @ Apr. 12 2008,03:45)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">there is nothign wrong with a well formulated low carbohydrate diet.

Other than not being magic.</div>
Is there a magic diet?

<div>
(Avi1985 @ Apr. 13 2008,20:25)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Is there a magic diet?</div>
Yes,

Protien, carbs and fat sprinkled with secret seasoning

DNP

<div>
(Aaron_F @ Apr. 13 2008,02:35)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Avi1985 @ Apr. 13 2008,20:25)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Is there a magic diet?</div>
Yes,

DNP</div>
I guess the answear is no. So ill stay with the low carb diet.

<div>
(Avi1985 @ Apr. 13 2008,03:09)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Aaron_F @ Apr. 13 2008,02:35)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
Yes,

DNP</div>
I guess the answear is no. So ill stay with the low carb diet.</div>
there are loads of good diets out there unfortunately you can get bogged down in the bs trying to find a decent one.

lowcarb diets do work but they arent necessarily the best. im having some success at the moment with mine but i much prefer to eat a regular bodybuilding diet and just add cardio to drop weight.

<div>
(lcars @ Apr. 13 2008,05:28)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">lowcarb diets do work but they arent necessarily the best. im having some success at the moment with mine but i much prefer to eat a regular bodybuilding diet and just add cardio to drop weight.</div>
What's your current diet? I mean the macro ratio. Also, what do you mean by &quot;some success&quot;? Are you bulking or cutting on this diet or, as the original poster asked, are you doing both simultaneously?

What's a regular bodybuilding diet (ratio)?

Don't fall for this Icars. Reason has left the building and you will be drawn into another rant. I've given up. And part of the reason for it all was instigated by the HST posters to some degree, but not to the amount of wrath that is being regenerated.

Once a badger is cornered by a pack of wild dogs, he will do what badgers do: become even more fierce than the dogs, hoping to find a weak defense to escape by. But in the case of humans, it sadly turns to revenge and rebuttal rather than merely returning to the forest for peaceful foraging and nesting. Sometimes animals have more tact than humans.

<div>
(quadancer @ Apr. 13 2008,09:03)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Don't fall for this Icars. Reason has left the building and you will be drawn into another rant. I've given up. And part of the reason for it all was instigated by the HST posters to some degree, but not to the amount of wrath that is being regenerated.

Once a badger is cornered by a pack of wild dogs, he will do what badgers do: become even more fierce than the dogs, hoping to find a weak defense to escape by. But in the case of humans, it sadly turns to revenge and rebuttal rather than merely returning to the forest for peaceful foraging and nesting. Sometimes animals have more tact than humans.</div>
I asked questions. To get answers. To learn. Is there any other way? His post is vague. I want clarification. Isn't it unfortunate that I have to justify my questions. Note that I'm not the one who instigated the trouble. I merely responded to it with the express intent of exposing the troublemakers. And I'm the one to blame?!? I'm the one who should be watched?!?

Yeah, reason has left the building.

nevermind
biggrin.gif

I think Martin does have a point. I have recently gained muscle while losing fat. And I just happen to eat higher fats/lower carbs.

However, I make sure to take in a lot of carbs before and after workouts, and I count that in my total carbs/calories per day. My body has no problem burning fat if that's whta I give it to burn, so I could be an exception to the rule. I don't know.
biggrin.gif

ignore his questions because that's all he's got: Questions. He doesn't have any answer. He's not participated in a discussion otherwise.

If I may jump in....

I lost fat and gained muscle at the same time (arms and chest got bigger, waist got smaller) and I was on a fairly high carb diet. (carb/protein ratio about the same, low-fat was my thing at the time)

I have since changed my macros around to more protein and fat, but still by no means a low carb diet, and I am still leaning out and gaining weight even a year and a half later.

I think it comes down to the simple fact that you need to actually try a low carb diet for a couple of months and see for yourself what it will or will not do for you.

I haven't done a low carb diet in years.  But I have never felt better as far as energy levels and overall well being are concerned or made better overall training progress than I did when I was doing a CKD.  I easily (relatively speaking compared to a typical high carb diet) lost fat and gained muscle eating at a maintenance calorie level and had tons of energy all the time.

There are two reasons I don't eat low carb or CKD style now:

1) it is much more expensive to eat that way
2) it is hard to stick to when everyone else in the family doesn't eat low carb.

That being said I will probably give it a go again some time in the not to distant future.

I know that some people around here don't think much of Dr. Mauro Di Pasquale because he pimps his supplements in his books.  Personally I don't think it is that big of a deal.  And his first book didn't pimp any supplements at all.  But I think his site is a great resource with a lot of information and I would highly recommend anyone interested in going the low carb route to check it out.

The Metabolic Diet

Well I'm going into my second week of 15s now and started on a diet restricting my carbs down to 1g per lb of bodyweight and moderate fat intake and its working great. My protein intake is higher than 1g per lb though.

I've lost no size so far but lost some off my waist.

I think the most important thing purely as far as macro nutrients go is to make sure you take proteins/carbs in around the workout period.

Back