warmup questions

Discussion in 'Basic Training Principles and Methods' started by xarfox, Jul 5, 2005.

1. xarfox

xarfox New Member

how should i warm up
    how long and with what intensity
    what exercises

does anyone have a structured warm up routine that i could borrow

i know hst says to do 1 to 2 sets, i'm not sure how many warm ups i should be doing before those

thanks!

2. Old and Grey

Old and Grey Super Moderator Staff Member

My entire warm up consists of 1 set each of bodyweight pushups, chinups and squats before my regular worksets. I have doing that for a lot of years and never had an injury. If you do too much, it can take away from the overall effectiveness of your workout.

3. Totentanz

Totentanz Super Moderator Staff Member

I agree with O&G. My warmup is similar to what he stated. I think that as long as you get your temperature elevated and your blood pumping a bit, you should be fine. Although I suppose if you are more prone to injury, you may need to do more. I've never had to though.

4. BoSox

BoSox New Member

I like to do at least a couple warm-up sets with most movements, concentrating on an explosive concentric to myself neurally primed for the movement. This is less of a physical warm-up than a performance-related thing.

5. xarfox

xarfox New Member

thanks guys, i like the pushup, chinup, squat warmup
    those compound movements pretty much hit all of the muscles

one thing i learned while reading max OT, is that before the real sets it said to do 1 rep of near Max weight (called weight acclimation), this of course is HST, not max ot

i was trying this for awhile and i felt like it helped me push heavier weight

i also read that stretching does nothing to reduce the risk of injury, and previously i've spent a lot of time stretching

i never had a serious injury before, i guess thats why i'm being so cautious

6. Totentanz

Totentanz Super Moderator Staff Member

Stretching can actually reduce your performance, according to some studies, so I wouldn't do stretching around weightlifting at all. I recommend stretching though, but in my opinion you should do it at a different time of day or at least wait until after your workout.

7. Pickles

Pickles New Member

According to Thomas Kurz, author of stretching scientifically it is a good idea not to use passive stretches in a warm up but to do them after a work out, maybe as part of a cool down. But dynamic stretches (not to be confused with the potentially injurous ballistic stretching) should be okay for a warmup.