What did you do after your first cycle?

Hi guys I'm new to the board,

I've been very interested in HST for a while and just decided to jump in and get started, well, I love training and I love HST, I used to do H.I.T and H.I.T style training to failure but found that I hit my maxes pretty early and was pretty much good for nothing, but anyway I was interested to know what people did after their first full cycle of HST, did you tweak anything or did you keep things the same?

As for me I'm going to keep things the same, I do the standard rep range, 15, 10, 5 and I do one set of each exercise.

How bout you!

i kept things the same but increased the weight.
as long as your not bored and still making gains then stick with what works.
after you stop gaining or get stale you could change exercises/sets/reps/etc.good luck
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

<div>
(faz @ May 31 2007,10:33)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">i kept things the same but increased the weight.
after you stop gaining or get stale you could change exercises/sets/reps/etc.good luck
cool.gif

biggrin.gif
</div>
Nice one, yeah that's the plan....
wink.gif

How many cycles you done so far?

<div>
(RUSS @ May 31 2007,11:10)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Welcome to the board! What are your goals?
smile.gif
</div>
Hi there, my goals are to gain muscle mass first and strength second and enjoy my workouts, before this I was doing bodyweight exercises exclusivly but I found that althougth I got in great shape I was getting smaller, so now I'm starting over from scratch and I'm looking to have fun and build up again and then some.

wink.gif

<div>
(The Fruitarian One @ May 31 2007,15:49)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(faz @ May 31 2007,10:33)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">i kept things the same but increased the weight.
cool.gif

biggrin.gif
</div>
wink.gif

How many cycles you done so far?</div>
not sure
rock.gif
about 10
biggrin.gif

<div>
(faz @ May 31 2007,12:48)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(The Fruitarian One @ May 31 2007,15:49)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
cool.gif

biggrin.gif
</div>
wink.gif

How many cycles you done so far?</div>
not sure
rock.gif
 about 10
biggrin.gif
</div>
Are you seeing good results?

I'm already seeing some changes, but Im not expecting anything great until my 3rd-4th cycle when it starts getting real heavy....
wink.gif

i dont expect great results im 49
biggrin.gif
but in the last 2yrs i have gained 10k waist size the same as before so mostly muscle &quot;not all&quot;

<div>
(faz @ May 31 2007,13:05)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">i dont expect great results im 49
biggrin.gif
 but in the last 2yrs i have gained 10k waist size the same as before so mostly muscle &quot;not all&quot;</div>
Cool!!!
wink.gif

<div>
(bgates1654 @ May 31 2007,12:56)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I didnt change anything but the weight.</div>
Nice one, I'm planning on doing the same....

I think my 2nd and 3rd cycles are gonna be very interesting!

I jacked everything up ten lbs. and repeated for about 5-6 cycles before making any tweaks, which mainly was a linear progression. (there's a thread in here on it.)

You have probably the best base I've seen for building up from. A long slow bulk with HST and you'll look like you're on 'roids in half a year. Your strength will, yes of course, WILL come up on HST; that's part of how it works. I'm not surprised you started losing weight with BW exersizes. Study up in here and you'll separate a lot of fact from fiction.
The biggest thing about HST is getting used to the difference between it and failure training.

I started deadlifting instead of just squatting, and also started doing my bentover rows properly.

Welcome aboard.

What exercises are you doing? Your choices will have a bearing on how effective your HST cycles are.

From your avatar it looks as if you have some pretty good genetics and/or you've made some good gains prior to HST.

I'm on about my 7th bulking cycle now. Still keeping pretty much to the standard HST cycle but I do stretch out the 5s (partly because I enjoy them so much) and try for some PBs at the end.

Have a read of the Simplify and Win thread if you haven't already sone so. Link below.

<div>
(quadancer @ May 31 2007,19:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I jacked everything up ten lbs. and repeated for about 5-6 cycles before making any tweaks, which mainly was a linear progression. (there's a thread in here on it.)

You have probably the best base I've seen for building up from. A long slow bulk with HST and you'll look like you're on 'roids in half a year. Your strength will, yes of course, WILL come up on HST; that's part of how it works. I'm not surprised you started losing weight with BW exersizes. Study up in here and you'll separate a lot of fact from fiction.
The biggest thing about HST is getting used to the difference between it and failure training.</div>
Thanks man...yeah I wanna train my muscles and not so much my CNS...
wink.gif

I'll post some progress pics when I get my journal up and running....
wink.gif

<div>
(Lol @ May 31 2007,21:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Welcome aboard.

What exercises are you doing? Your choices will have a bearing on how effective your HST cycles are.

From your avatar it looks as if you have some pretty good genetics and/or you've made some good gains prior to HST.

I'm on about my 7th bulking cycle now. Still keeping pretty much to the standard HST cycle but I do stretch out the 5s (partly because I enjoy them so much) and try for some PBs at the end.

Have a read of the Simplify and Win thread if you haven't already sone so. Link below.</div>
Yeah thanks, I read that and I'm going to re-read it, I'm still going over posts, it's all very interesting and I like how information readily available, some sites you go on they jump down your throat for enquiring how to do something.

So far I'm doing weighted:

Chins
Dips
Sit ups
Deadlifts

I don't have access to a gym or a lot of weights so this is my bread and butter workout....
wink.gif

<div>
(Totentanz @ May 31 2007,20:10)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I started deadlifting instead of just squatting, and also started doing my bentover rows properly.</div>
Yeah I'm just getting into deadlifts.

Wecome Fruitarian one
wink.gif

Interesting site you have, lots to consider, specially with my adventist background!

Anyway, changing subjects...I changed things a lot and have done perhaps about 30 odd cycles since then since I started, eventually I bit the &quot;bullet&quot; and started doing simple compound workouts, and have been addicted to them ever since.

Eventually I started the Simplify and Win thread mostly for HST newbies but also because I wanted all the &quot;vets&quot; and experts to jot down their workouts and experiences and it has payed off.

Your workout looks cool as it is rather simple, when you can you must get yourself or build yourself (Quad's got some tips with wood racks and stuff) a rack and get some weights, so that you can start squatting and well lifting some real deadlift weight.

Let me say that you build looks very cool, a solid foundation there for sure, but always some space to build more.

Cheers

Fausto

<div>
(Fausto @ Jun. 01 2007,02:32)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Wecome Fruitarian one
wink.gif

Interesting site you have, lots to consider, specially with my adventist background!

Anyway, changing subjects...I changed things a lot and have done perhaps about 30 odd cycles since then since I started, eventually I bit the &quot;bullet&quot; and started doing simple compound workouts, and have been addicted to them ever since.

Eventually I started the Simplify and Win thread mostly for HST newbies but also because I wanted all the &quot;vets&quot; and experts to jot down their workouts and experiences and it has payed off.

Your workout looks cool as it is rather simple, when you can you must get yourself or build yourself (Quad's got some tips with wood racks and stuff) a rack and get some weights, so that you can start squatting and well lifting some real deadlift weight.

Let me say that you build looks very cool, a solid foundation there for sure, but always some space to build more.

Cheers

Fausto</div>
Yeah man there's always room for improvement, this is my time to go for it as I've always been doing other things.

Yeah my legs are terrible as I don't have access to a gym and I hate doing squats, etc.
biggrin.gif

I used to play pro rugby years ago and I never did weights on my legs because it greatly effected my speed.

Anyway, I was glad to see that you've done multiple cycles because one of my concerns is that I will be able to build strength and keep getting new maxes and keep on doing more cycles so I can get bigger and not quickly reach a point where I can't progress anymore, for me my 3-4 cycles should be getting pretty heavy, so your 30 plus must be pretty hardcore by now!

how has your progress been and have you found that your strength has improved beyond your own expectations?

Thanks for all you do around here buddy.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">how has your progress been and have you found that your strength has improved beyond your own expectations?</div>

Definitelly, once I simplified things and started doing more barbells than anything else.

Beyond my expectations? Yes, one that comes to mindis the deadlift, although there are new targets to chase and improvements to make, the other was ATG squats.

Some of the improvements I did not make where totally my fault, one has to eat a lot to put on the required mass, and I have not always been there, but am happy with my progress.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Thanks for all you do around here buddy. </div>

It is my ultimate pleasure to help others conquer or master their difficiencies!
biggrin.gif

Back