What has worked for me.

I know alot more about training than I do nutrition, but I have been having real good results with both lately and decided to post my nutrition regimen.

Basically I just eat above maintenance, with an emphasis on protein to gain weight, SIMPLE AND EFFECTIVE.

1) I take a shake after exercise which consists of lowfat milk, 40 grams of whey protein, a banana or other carb-source and a multi-vitamin. I believe this gives my strained muscles all the nutrients they need right after training to start the hypertrophy process.

I have gained about 14 lb.s since May, (4 months) with maybe a 1% gain in bodyfat. So obviously something is working.

2) This is really primitive stuff, but I am slow when it comes to nutrition!
blush.gif
I finally realized that hydrating and carbing up before and during a workout makes a HUGE difference in strength and performance levels. Basically I just drink a fairly large amount of water with some simple carbs added like fruit juice or gatorade, both right before and during my workout I sip the water/carbs. I ALWAYS KNEW ABOUT THIS, BUT UNDERESTIMATED THE EFFECTIVENESS...CARBS/WATER ARE LIKE FUEL FOR THE MUSCLES....IT IS NOT JUST A CATCHY SPORTS DRINK ADVERTISEMENT!

Just wanted to post this for any other dolts like me out there who don't give nutrition its proper roile in training.
wink.gif

Funny how when "old news" like this finally sinks home for us it's simply amazing to us how our bodies respond to it.

I gave the same nutrition speech to my diabetics for years. Then the day I was sitting in the floor and my weakened legs couldn't lift my 300lbs of flab - it hit me. Eat the way I tell my fat diabetics to eat.

Then this past July, I saw a photo of my bony self and it hit me - eat the way I tell people who think they are hardgainers to eat and cut back on the cardio. WOW it worked too.

Congratulations on your own realization. Self discovery and finding our own keys to success is always wonderful. Keep up the good work.

I've been doing that myself this summer, with some extra cals for bulk. I also went with the old school system of making a giant shake with mucho protein, mucho simple carbs (maltodex and dextrose for me, maybe some fruit) and drinking on it from 1/2 hr. before the workout until 1/2 hr. after. - Welcome to fartville.

I gained mass, but can't seem to drop the carbs enough to cut the fat off and it's October! Hope the HRT helps.

TBH like a lot of guys i did the pre-post protein shake and a lot of other supps.
now pre-workout if i dont have time for a meal i drink milk..1 pint 15gms protein plus fats,carbs, what more do you need.
i dont eat processed food (very rarely if any) healthy real food is what you need thats it
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

I feel like the tryptophan in the milk slows me down a bit, doesn't make me feel as jacked in my workout as water with stuff in it. I do milk and CC before bed, not before workouts!
wink.gif

Milk doesn't sit with me well before or after tough workouts. Whey and fruit juice (sweet stuff like orange juice and grape juice) before, during, and after workouts is what does it for me. Is there any special reason people drink milk with their whey?

Just wondering if I'm missing out on something.
wink.gif

I have fruit juice and water with my whey prior to w/o and a pint of milk with whey blended with a banana afterwards. I have the milk because the shake is gorgeous!
biggrin.gif

<div>
(Key Of David @ Oct. 12 2006,00:42)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Milk doesn't sit with me well before or after tough workouts.  Whey and fruit juice (sweet stuff like orange juice and grape juice) before, during, and after workouts is what does it for me.  Is there any special reason people drink milk with their whey?

Just wondering if I'm missing out on something.  
wink.gif
</div>
no reason water with whey is fine, but if you add milk your getting more protein.
i just drink milk because its natures natural protein shake
cool.gif
and its cheper than whey
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

<div>
(quadancer @ Oct. 12 2006,18:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Aw, tell the truth! Milk instead of water makes the shake taste more like a SHAKE!!! YUM!!!
wink.gif
</div>
So I suspected. LOL

That's cool though....I would drink more it if I could stomach it around the tougher workouts......maybe I'll try some during the lighter ones.
laugh.gif

@ KofD: Don't drink full-fat milk before a w/o if you can help it. I think I remember reading that fat should be avoided pre-exercise unless the exercise is for endurance. It's probably in the FAQs somewhere?

Yes fat will slow down down the protein uptake, which is not always a bad thing, but the point of a shake before, during or after is mostly because you want a fast uptake, right?

I have semi-fat milk in my shake anyways (trying to use 1.5% fat milk) I dont think it matters that much really, and besides, studies I´ve read say that casein + whey protein is more effective than whey alone when it comes to a long term effect (14 days) of building muscle.

I don't drink whole milk anyway.....especially when bulking.
biggrin.gif

I love 2% though, which is probably what I would use. I agree that I wouldn't think it would make that much of a difference, especially on the lighter workouts.

The heavier workouts, like I said.....are getting fruit juice.
laugh.gif

Back