What is the minimum amount of protein I need to

Discussion in 'Diet & Nutrition' started by Ruhl, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Ruhl

Ruhl New Member

What is the minimum amount of protein I need to grow?

2. Tcup

Tcup New Member

Optimum is somewhere about 1g/lbs

3. baby a

baby a New Member

I will say exactly 37.893489349363693843847g.

4. Tcup

Tcup New Member

N00b! that`s wrong!

real answer is 37.893489349363693843848 :D

5. Ruhl

Ruhl New Member

Can a person grow on 1g protein per kg body weight?

6. Tcup

Tcup New Member

If you are trying to gain mass why do you want to keep the amount of protein that low?

Building muscles will require extra intake of proteins. You can manage with that amount protein but it will be hard to gain anything

7. Yes, you can.

Would growth be less than 1g/lb? Maybe maybe not.
    What's optimal? There isn't any such thing but a range from .8g/kg to 1.5g/kg is sufficient.

These things change with overall calories, macro content, timing of ingestion, duration of workouts, and a list of other variables.

Personally speaking, I wouldn't go below 1g/kg and I would concentrate on timing of ingestion.

Dan

8. Aaron_F

Aaron_F New Member

1g/lb should cover 98% of the population so the range of 0.8 - 1.5 is on the higher end of anything...

From memory of the older papers the means are around 0.7g/lb and a they worked off a 95% CI of 0.56 - 0.84 or there abouts...

And then there is the rounding up to 1g/lb or there abouts...

thats assuming adequate energy.

9. thehamma

thehamma New Member

I was just reading this in the ebook
    thehamma

10. Totentanz

Totentanz Super Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I've read the same thing hamma. I'm going to experiment with that on my next bulk, getting only around 15% of my calories from protein. It will obviously vary a bit, but I'm going to try my damndest and see what happens. It will be fun.

11. Aaron, which is why I said .8 to 1.5g per Kilogram (read my post above)not Lb. This would translate to what you are saying in pounds.

The high side of 1.5g/Kg equates to what was seen in the CSFII, the highest mean consumption of 104g/day for all life stages and genders. Based on a 70Kg body.

Added note: BTW, that info was from the 98 CSFII, if you have a newer it could be different, don't see how but who knows.

12. Tcup

Tcup New Member

The hamma..intresting text you got there [​IMG]
    where did you pick that up?

13. Aaron_F

Aaron_F New Member

cos you changed from lbs to kg within the post... bloody americans

how does data from the CSF have anything to do with optimal amount for anything? What people eat and what is optimal is a different thing

14. cos you changed from lbs to kg within the post... bloody americans

how does data from the CSF have anything to do with optimal amount for anything?  What people eat and what is optimal is a different thing[/QUOTE]
    Hey we Americans can't help it if you New Zealanders don't know how to read ;)

I was just pointing out that optimal where protein is concerned is largely varied and that most (or at least within the top 99 percentile) eat more with no ill effect.

15. unless we isotopically tag all dietary protein and watch its utilzation in all protein synthesis (not just limited to muscle cells), then its hard to know for certain.