What is the minimum amount of protein I need to

[b said:
Quote[/b] (baby a @ Sep. 05 2005,2:29)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ruhl @ Sep. 05 2005,5:37)]What is the minimum amount of protein I need to grow?
I will say exactly 37.893489349363693843847g.
N00b! that`s wrong!

real answer is 37.893489349363693843848 :D

If you are trying to gain mass why do you want to keep the amount of protein that low?

Building muscles will require extra intake of proteins. You can manage with that amount protein but it will be hard to gain anything

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ruhl @ Sep. 12 2005,4:09)]Can a person grow on 1g protein per kg body weight?
Yes, you can.

Would growth be less than 1g/lb? Maybe maybe not.
What's optimal? There isn't any such thing but a range from .8g/kg to 1.5g/kg is sufficient.

These things change with overall calories, macro content, timing of ingestion, duration of workouts, and a list of other variables.

Personally speaking, I wouldn't go below 1g/kg and I would concentrate on timing of ingestion.

Dan

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dkm1987 @ Sep. 13 2005,1:53)]Would growth be less than 1g/lb? Maybe maybe not.
What's optimal? There isn't any such thing but a range from .8g/kg to 1.5g/kg is sufficient.
1g/lb should cover 98% of the population so the range of 0.8 - 1.5 is on the higher end of anything...

From memory of the older papers the means are around 0.7g/lb and a they worked off a 95% CI of 0.56 - 0.84 or there abouts...

And then there is the rounding up to 1g/lb or there abouts...

thats assuming adequate energy.

I was just reading this in the ebook
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Actually, most guys take in too much protein. It isn't that too much protein will hurt them - assuming they are healthy to begin with - but too much protein can actually inhibit gains. I know, it sounds totally contradictory to what you read everywhere, but it is true. Let me explain.
The ability of the body to grow is effected by the ratio of protein to carbs. It is an inverted U shaped curve - or bell curve - where the top or highest point of the curve is a ratio of 12-15% protein to carbs (diet consisting of ~15% protein). At one peak you have all carbs, at the other you have all protein. It has to do with thermogenesis and hormones. So, if a skinny guy wants to gain weight, he needs to plan a diet where he gets 15% of his calories from protein. Now this may seem contradictory to the general rule of 1 gram per pound bodyweight. I'm not saying that a guy can't gain weight with more than 15% calories from protein, I'm only saying that weight gain is greatest at 15%. He will be ok with an intake of 0.75 grams/pound FFM to gain muscle. In fact, everybody should use FFM instead of bodyweight to plan protein intake, but sometimes it's just too hard to figure it out, so most people use bodyweight. For a guy who isn't all that skinny, or even a little fat, he should increase his protein intake to 20-25%. This will increase thermogenesis and prevent some fat gain as calories increase above maintenance. The problem with protein cycling is that it is hard to get ahead of your body when it comes to managing protein. The body adapts fairly quickly to changes in protein intake. If you eat more during the day, your body will get rid of more during the night. That changes according to intake on a daily basis. Longer term, your body will adjust to a drop in protein intake over the course of 12-14 days. In other words, you will go into a negative nitrogen balance on day one, and it takes about 12-14 days for your body to be able to reduce protein breakdown to the point of reaching balance again. Some may argue about the different turnover rates of muscle protein and splanchnic proteins. This should have led to real success from protein cycling, yet it hasn't. If you do decide to cycle your protein, I would not drop your intake below 15% (or ~1g/kg bodyweight) while maintaining total calories. Then keep protein intake at this lowered level for at least 2 weeks. Your diet can effect Test and IGFBPs. IGFBPs dictate how much IGF-1 is actually available for your body. Too much protein relative will lower insulin, and thus available IGF-1 and free test levels. Too little fat will also lower test levels. Keeping fat at 30% of total calories is optimum for testosterone.

thehamma

Yeah, I've read the same thing hamma. I'm going to experiment with that on my next bulk, getting only around 15% of my calories from protein. It will obviously vary a bit, but I'm going to try my damndest and see what happens. It will be fun.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ Sep. 12 2005,8:55)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (dkm1987 @ Sep. 13 2005,1:53)]Would growth be less than 1g/lb? Maybe maybe not.
1g/lb should cover 98% of the population so the range of 0.8 - 1.5 is on the higher end of anything...
From memory of the older papers the means are around 0.7g/lb and a they worked off a 95% CI of 0.56 - 0.84  or there abouts...
And then there is the rounding up to 1g/lb or there abouts...
thats assuming adequate energy.
Aaron, which is why I said .8 to 1.5g per Kilogram (read my post above)not Lb. This would translate to what you are saying in pounds.

The high side of 1.5g/Kg equates to what was seen in the CSFII, the highest mean consumption of 104g/day for all life stages and genders. Based on a 70Kg body.

Added note: BTW, that info was from the 98 CSFII, if you have a newer it could be different, don't see how but who knows.

The hamma..intresting text you got there
dozingoff.gif

where did you pick that up?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dkm1987 @ Sep. 16 2005,3:54)]Aaron, which is why I said .8 to 1.5g per Kilogram (read my post above)not Lb. This would translate to what you are saying in pounds.
cos you changed from lbs to kg within the post... bloody americans

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Added note: BTW, that info was from the 98 CSFII, if you have a newer it could be different, don't see how but who knows.
how does data from the CSF have anything to do with optimal amount for anything? What people eat and what is optimal is a different thing

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ Sep. 16 2005,3:28)]
cos you changed from lbs to kg within the post... bloody americans

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Added note: BTW, that info was from the 98 CSFII, if you have a newer it could be different, don't see how but who knows.
how does data from the CSF have anything to do with optimal amount for anything?  What people eat and what is optimal is a different thing[/QUOTE]
Hey we Americans can't help it if you New Zealanders don't know how to read ;)

I was just pointing out that optimal where protein is concerned is largely varied and that most (or at least within the top 99 percentile) eat more with no ill effect.

unless we isotopically tag all dietary protein and watch its utilzation in all protein synthesis (not just limited to muscle cells), then its hard to know for certain.

Back