Whats the point in doing cardio?

Owndawg

Here`s an example: if you need 3000 cals for maintainance, and you burn 500 cals with cardio, why not eat 500 cals less instead?

I know that there are bodybuilders who never do cardio, f. eks. David Henry, and he only weighs 5 kgs more in off-season than on-season...

health reasons are one...also the heart and lungs are muscles and can only be exercised by cardio,they help push the blood to the muscles which inturn help you to work out with weights.
also the fitter you are the better your body is at food partitioning..ie..storing fat etc.
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

and helps you to eat more too.I read in one article where you have a protein shake in morning before doing cardio helps to rev up appetite

<div>
(faz @ Oct. 07 2006,14:34)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">health reasons are one...also the heart and lungs are muscles and can only be exercised by cardio,they help push the blood to the muscles which inturn help you to work out with weights.
also the fitter you are the better your body is at food partitioning..ie..storing fat etc.
cool.gif

biggrin.gif
</div>
Isn`t that with endurance training?

Also, I like to be able to eat roughly the same amount every day. If you don't do cardio on non-lifting days, then you have to eat a little less that day to avoid putting on fat. I figure I burn about 300 calories lifting, and 300 in cardio, so I can eat the same diet every day. Less thinking and planning, I guess.

<div>
(faz @ Oct. 07 2006,06:34)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">health reasons are one...also the heart and lungs are muscles and can only be exercised by cardio,they help push the blood to the muscles which inturn help you to work out with weights.
cool.gif

biggrin.gif
</div>
Not true...the heart and lungs are also exercised by weight training. Keep the reps high (10 or so), and the rest intervals short (30 secs), and tell me if it doesn't blast your heart and lungs...as well as strip the fat. Anyone ever heard of German Body Composition training?

Do your cardio for 6-8 weeks a couple of times each week. Do it HIIT style for only 15 minutes. Then notice how much more you are lifting.

Better cardiovascular capability means better squats, deadlifts... What's heavy now will seem light when your heart's in it (pun intended).

<div>
(Owndawg @ Oct. 07 2006,05:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Here`s an example: if you need 3000 cals for maintainance, and you burn 500 cals with cardio, why not eat 500 cals less instead?

I know that there are bodybuilders who never do cardio, f. eks. David Henry, and he only weighs 5 kgs more in off-season than on-season...</div>
Non. You dont have to cardio one minute if you dont feel for it. Highly overrated if you ask me.

Eat less, eat smarter, train faster. I will take care of the fat loss.

J-son

Have you tried eating less? Its friggen hard! 500 cals is a large plate of food, try going a day eating 1 plate of food less than what you normally eat and see how much your stomach hurts.

I figures it worse when you're used to stuffing yourself on a bulking diet, and forgetting what real hunger feels like.

Also cardio is good for your heart, lunges, vasular and resperatory systems as well, as mentioned. What most BBers don't care about that, which is why they die of heart attacks.

Cardio, in my opinion, is better for your mind as well. It relieves built up tension you didn't know you had, and releases &quot;feel good&quot; hormones in your brain. You are generally more relaxed and sleep better as well. Plus.....your joints are in much better shape doing sensible cardio, even just walking a good pace.

I used to walk 2 and sometimes 3 times a week and that was when I felt my best.

Our bodies were designed for hard work, and cardio training fools it into thinking its doing its job like never before (and thus it will stay in tip top shape)!
laugh.gif

<div>
(Owndawg @ Oct. 07 2006,05:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Here`s an example: if you need 3000 cals for maintainance, and you burn 500 cals with cardio, why not eat 500 cals less instead?

I know that there are bodybuilders who never do cardio, f. eks. David Henry, and he only weighs 5 kgs more in off-season than on-season...</div>
Doing cardio boosts the metabolism, and it's a must for me when I'm trying to cut.  Going low cals just doesn't cut it.  Guys who are naturally small don't understand how hard it is for larger guys to cut, and the larger guys usually can't empathize with how tough it is for smaller guys to bulk.  As for extremely genetically blessed guys like David Henry who is also on steroids, they can't relate to anyone who has a hard time bulking or cutting.

<div>
(Laycock1 @ Oct. 07 2006,16:30)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(faz @ Oct. 07 2006,06:34)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">health reasons are one...also the heart and lungs are muscles and can only be exercised by cardio,they help push the blood to the muscles which inturn help you to work out with weights.
cool.gif

biggrin.gif
</div>
Not true...the heart and lungs are also exercised by weight training. Keep the reps high (10 or so), and the rest intervals short (30 secs), and tell me if it doesn't blast your heart and lungs...as well as strip the fat. Anyone ever heard of German Body Composition training?</div>
weights are not cardio because you are stoping for a rest,even if its 30secs,
it might get your heart beating but it is not giving your heart a cardio type workout,running,cycling,etc keep the heart beating faster without rest.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">David Henry who is also on steroids, they can't relate to anyone who has a hard time bulking or cutting. </div>

Good reminder there Steve, guys on steroids obviously need not worry about cardio
laugh.gif

Cardio even though to me at least is a love-hate relationship, has its place in every body builders life or at least it should, all the reasons have been posted already!

<div>
(faz @ Oct. 10 2006,04:37)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">weights are not cardio because you are stoping for a rest,even if its 30secs,
it might get your heart beating but it is not giving your heart a cardio type workout,running,cycling,etc keep the heart beating faster without rest.</div>
Faz, it depends. I haven't done cardio (except for skating) in almost a year, since my heart condition was making it risky and uncomfortable. (I also hate it) Since the procedure, I've had no excuse, and for my health I want to get back into it...post HRT maybe.

When I do 15's with less than a minute rest, it kicks my butt aerobically! Since I'm not cardiovascularily trained, my conditioning is down and weightlifting high reps qualifies as cardio for me.

The really sad part is my seven cardio machines getting dusty out in the sunroom...
blush.gif

<div>
cool.gif
biggrin.gif
</div>
Slow down boys.
Weight lifiting increases the strength of the heart and blood vessels.
Cardio, in its ideal form, is for training endurance, i.e. several hours of running or biking or whatever.
It is wrong to think that your cardiovascular system is not getting a good workout through weightlifting---it is getting a good workout-but different than endurance training. One hour of cardio doesn´t do that much for endurance. For the unfit, it helps a lot, but the guys and gals on this board who train regularly, the 45 minute cardio does little more than burn calories, not fat. If you want to do cardio to burn fat, you gotta do it for at least two hours, 3 or 4 times a week. Then the body &quot;LEARNS&quot; to burn stored fat.

HIIT style areobics is great for increasing lung volume and burning calories, but does little to burn fat fast.

Lift hard and your heart and blood vessels will get what they need.

Think about it, anyone who can dead lift 400+ lbs, squat 300+ lbs, for Reps MUST have a nice big strong heart and nice strong flexible blood vessels.
About the only thing cardio is good for as it is used by the most of you cutting, i.e., 45 minute cardio sessions, is to burn extra calories whihc you may ingest during the day. Your not burning much, if any, stored fat if you do a 45minute cardio and take in enough calories to support even the most mininmal amount of anabolic activity.

i can't get enough protein if i don't eat a certain amount of calories - so i do cardio to burn off the bit that i am &quot;over&quot; rather then eating under maintenance (because i wouldn't get enough protein)... to answer the topic creator's question

<div>
(drpierredebs @ Oct. 10 2006,10:49)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">
HIIT style areobics is great for increasing lung volume and burning calories, but does little to burn fat fast.</div>
In the studies that I have read on HIIT, it burns much more fat than traditional cardio.

One that I have read implies that HIIT is more muscle sparing than traditional cardio, while burning a magnitude more fat -- of course like (seemingly) all studies we read, it was carried out on obese women, not athletes. Still, I would not knock HIIT without some research to back it up.

An brief, intense bout of exercise (good for muscles) followed by sustained fat burning (what we want, right?) sounds like a winning combination to me.

drpierredebs
HIIT style areobics is great for increasing lung volume and burning calories, but does little to burn fat fast.

if you look at tabatas studies you will see that hiit burns 9 times the amount of fat per minute trained as ss cardio,this is because it raises you vo2 max increases your metabolism for the rest of the day

Back