Whats the point in doing cardio?

<div>
(quadancer @ Oct. 10 2006,14:13)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(faz @ Oct. 10 2006,04:37)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">weights are not cardio because you are stoping for a rest,even if its 30secs,
it might get your heart beating but it is not giving your heart a cardio type workout,running,cycling,etc keep the heart beating faster without rest.</div>
Faz, it depends. I haven't done cardio (except for skating) in almost a year, since my heart condition was making it risky and uncomfortable. (I also hate it) Since the procedure, I've had no excuse, and for my health I want to get back into it...post HRT maybe.

When I do 15's with less than a minute rest, it kicks my butt aerobically! Since I'm not cardiovascularily trained, my conditioning is down and weightlifting high reps qualifies as cardio for me.

The really sad part is my seven cardio machines getting dusty out in the sunroom...
blush.gif
</div>
quad cardio is aerobic (with oxygen)
weights is anearobic (without oxygen) so even though your heartbeat might have gone up enough untill the next set its not really aerobic
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

Faz, that's not strictly true. I think the body can perform for about 10 seconds anaerobically so even during a set of heavy squats you are working aerobically and anaerobically.

The terms anaerobic and aerobic are a bit misleading. Yes, anaerobic means &quot;without oxygen&quot; but all exercise longer than a few brief seconds requires oxygen as does everything this side of death!  
biggrin.gif

oxygen is not used during the actuall lifting only inbetween to burn lactic acid so weightlifting can never be aerobic.

Anaerobic Threshold
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anaerobic threshold (AT) is a frequently used term that sometimes causes a little confusion. What is the AT and how can you use it to run faster? For starters, the AT is an extremely reliable and powerful predictor of performance in aerobic exercise. To explore further, I will begin with a brief, oversimplified, review of physiology. Muscles can &quot;burn&quot; glucose two ways, aerobically (&quot;with oxygen&quot;) and anaerobically (&quot;without oxygen&quot;). Both systems generate a temporary energy store, called ATP, which in turn produces mechanical work. However, there are some major differences.

An all out sprint, which requires a great deal of power output in a short period of time, uses the anaerobic system. The energy is quickly available, but the anaerobic pathways are not very efficient ; short term energy stores are rapidly depleted, lactic acid builds up, and exercise soon comes to a halt. After a brief rest, the system is recharged and ready for the next sprint. Distance running, which requires a steady power output over a long period of time, uses the aerobic system. These pathways can't generate the speed of the anaerobic, but they do possess a great deal more efficiency and endurance. Depending upon the distance, and effort, the body can use different proportions of both of these systems. Those who have raced the 800 meter know it's too long to be a sprint, but too short to be distance. This is right at the cross-over between the aerobic and anaerobic systems.

While running at a comfortable pace you use both systems, but the anaerobic:aerobic ratio is low enough that the lactate generated is easily removed, and doesn't build up. As the pace is increased, eventually a point is reached where the production of lactate, by the anaerobic system, is greater than its removal. The AT, also known as the lactate threshold, is the point where lactate (lactic acid) begins to accumulate in the bloodstream.

The AT varies from person to person, and, within a given individual, sport to sport. Untrained individuals have a low AT (approximately 55 % of VO2 max), and elite endurance athletes, a high AT (approx. 80 - 90% of VO2 max). You can train your body to remove lactate better and to juice up the aerobic mitochondrial enzymes, thus raising the AT. Don't worry you still get to experience the joy of lactate-laden legs that won't move, but it will happen at a faster running speed. Applying the right types of workouts is the key to properly shape your AT.

Interval work consists of a repeated series of short, high intensity, runs alternating with rest periods. Regardless of the race distance you are training for, 5k or marathon, interval work will help you run faster. Intervals should be creative, fun, and definitely not done every day. Whether it's 10 x 800m, or a 200m, 400m, 800m 400m, 200m pyramid, continually pushing yourself into a lactate burdened state makes your body adapt. Your aerobic enzymes get supercharged, and you become better at processing lactate.

So how do you know if your workouts are pushing your AT? After several track workouts, you'll notice the feeling when in the anaerobic zone. There are also exercise tests which can estimate your AT (e.g. Conconi test), and now, through the miracle of modern medical technology, a hand-held device for directly measuring lactate. A small pinprick, one drop of blood, and in less than a minute you know the exact blood lactate concentration. The corresponding heart rate at the AT gives you a convenient way of monitoring your workouts. Regardless, always pay attention to how running feels. Repeat testing several months later can show you how your training is shaping your physiology, and can help fine tune your training plan.

Good post Faz. That makes perfect sense and is exactly what I was meaning. Exercise is rarely one or the other but nearly always a combination of the two processes. Sometimes situations will demand a heavy bias towards anaerobic energy production (like lifting weights) and other situations may bias the demand towards aerobic energy production (like walking). As far as I know the muscle does still receive oxygen during anaerobic exercise so it's not like it completely shuts down one process over the other.

Try doing a set of squats during 15s while holding your breath (er, no don't, you'll probably pass out!).
biggrin.gif

I've always thought this since being taught about it in school but perhaps I need re-educating now? It is a fascinating subject.

<div>
(Owndawg @ Oct. 07 2006,05:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Here`s an example: if you need 3000 cals for maintainance, and you burn 500 cals with cardio, why not eat 500 cals less instead?

I know that there are bodybuilders who never do cardio, f. eks. David Henry, and he only weighs 5 kgs more in off-season than on-season...</div>
many have actually strayed from the topic slightly.if i understand his post,hes talking about weight loss or homeostasis,not how fit it would or wouldnt make him.

but with that said his statement has floors,the main one is that throughout the day your body comsumes callories at different rates,you also grow and repair at different times of the day(mainly at night).if you deprive your body of necerssary(maintainence) callories you run the risk of using muscle as well as fat as an energy source and thats not good,but with the right type of cardio and enough callories to boot you can shave fat off very efficiently without going catabolic.

and all the benefits of improved cardio vascular function as mentioned in previous posts will be yours.

I just did some reading last night about aerobic exercise. Aerobic exercise (cardio) increases enzymes that assist in the process of fat burning. A high metabolism is one thing, but metabolism can burn fat, sugar, or muscle. Having a metabolism that burns (proportionally) more fat is ideal for the body builder who wants a &quot;lean bulk.&quot;
... OK, I know, &quot;lean bulk&quot; is a contradiction in terms. Let's call it an optimal bulk, or efficient bulk, or whatever. In bulking, you will gain fat and muscle, but you might as well do what you can to get the best muscle to fat ratio you can, and cardio helps in that department.

Sure, it can help during a bulk. Unless you're trying to push for new maxes in deads and squats, that is.

<div>
(Lol @ Oct. 11 2006,15:13)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Good post Faz. That makes perfect sense and is exactly what I was meaning. Exercise is rarely one or the other but nearly always a combination of the two processes. Sometimes situations will demand a heavy bias towards anaerobic energy production (like lifting weights) and other situations may bias the demand towards aerobic energy production (like walking). As far as I know the muscle does still receive oxygen during anaerobic exercise so it's not like it completely shuts down one process over the other.

Try doing a set of squats during 15s while holding your breath (er, no don't, you'll probably pass out!).  
biggrin.gif

I've always thought this since being taught about it in school but perhaps I need re-educating now? It is a fascinating subject.</div>
lol your lungs use oxygen during anerobic activity but your muscles dont,they only use oxygen inbetween sets,whereas aerobic activity needs oxygen all the time,thats why i am saying weights can never be aerobic

Back