Whey Powder or Milk

I almost always use milk+whey powder so I was unable to take the poll
biggrin.gif

I've heard some compelling arguments for low-fat chocolate milk being "best" , but I'm used to and happy with 2%+whey powder (+banana 9 times out of 10).
smile.gif

I use both together most of the time and add some fruit but I leave out the milk in my pre-workout shake: I mix whey with fruit juice for that.

I prefer to use whey due to the significant protein it makes easily available. However, I am not averse to milk. I sometimes mix my whey powder with milk; other times with juice, and on some occasions (when my calories have gotten too high for the day) I'll mix it with Crystal Lite.

<div>
(TunnelRat @ Oct. 01 2007,22:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">the significant protein it makes easily available.</div>
please explain

<div>
(Maximuscrates @ Oct. 02 2007,20:02)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(TunnelRat @ Oct. 01 2007,22:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">the significant protein it makes easily available.</div>
please explain</div>
An 8 oz. of milk gives me 8 grams of protein. One scoop of whey protein, in 8 oz. of whatever, gives me 25 grams of protein, plus the protein in the whatever.

e.g. one glass of milk = 8 grams of protein; one glass of milk plus a scoop of whey protein = 33 grams of protein...

Perhaps I should have said &quot;the significant amount of protein it makes easily available&quot;.

The whey I have bought in the past only had 12grams per cup.

My milk also has 8g.

A significant difference for me only when you factor in cost and taste. This is why I choose milk. Seems like my whey was a ripp off. However, my milk has whey and caseine protein in it.

Such a hard comparison.

If you used skim milk powder you could add as much protein as you could dissolve.

But doesn't the body store amino acids in the labile pool for later anyways?

I'm not sure what the labile pool is, but I do understand that the body utilizes proteins uh, more effectively? in the hours after the workout, and there is an advantage to protein uptake if it is allready in the body before the workout, so I start sipping 1/2 hr. early and through the workout. If not, I do the whole blenderful right after the workout, then eat solid food later.

My experience with supersaturating skim powder was to create a dense cream mush. I don't know how much I used though.

I think the whey you bought in the past was crappy or something.  Here is a link to Bodybuilding.com for their top selling whey protein by Optimum Nutrition.  You can get 5 lbs. for $40.  25g of protein per serving...or you can go for whey isolate but it's more expensive.  I just finished a 10 lb. bag of the double rich chocolate flovor and it tasted good as well.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html

<div>
(soflsun @ Oct. 03 2007,22:34)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I think the whey you bought in the past was crappy or something. Here is a link to Bodybuilding.com for their top selling whey protein by Optimum Nutrition. You can get 5 lbs. for $40. 25g of protein per serving...or you can go for whey isolate but it's more expensive. I just finished a 10 lb. bag of the double rich chocolate flovor and it tasted good as well.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html</div>
Yup, I buy my Twin Lab whey protein from Bodybuilding.com. I get 25 grams of protein per scoop. It mixes well and doesn't taste bad.

My protein shake consists of whey protein powder (plain, can't stand the flavored stuff with the inevitable artificial sweetener ), 1/2 cup of eggs, 1 cup of soy milk (sweetened or unsweetened) , 1 tbsp of fiber, 5g of creatine, plenty of ice and two bananas.

I have been buying EAS whey powder at Sams Club in 6lb bags for $29. I like the taste of the Optimum stuff better but I can't beat this price buying any other whey powder anywhere else.

Back