Why do I feel like this on 2nd day following HST

Hardrock

I've noticed that I always start to feel sh*tty on the 2nd day following an HST 3 x per week full body workout, just when I'm suppose to be doing the next workout. What's up with that? Is it the accumulation of metabolic waste? Does it mean I should start putting an extra day between workouts, and, if so, how will that affect my gains?

Hello? Any experts out there care to help a noobie figure out this dastardly impediment to my progress?:confused:? :D

I believe Bryan had already mentioned about managing your workouts. With that in mind and since you are trying to reduce body fat my suggestion is concentrate more on losing the body fat than worrying about trying to do Full Body workouts 3X week.

Reduce the frequency for now so you don't feel so fatigued, maybe 2X week, or reduce the volume to only 1 set with just the basic compound exercises. This will help you retain the lean mass while dieting. But at our level of BF a reduction in calories along with your cardio that you are doing will eventually get the BF down which may also help with the fatigue issues you seem to be having.

So first things first, if you wish to loose the fat you must set your priorities to that goal and manage your training/nutrition accordingly.

Thanks for replying dkm. Sorry if I am rehashing the same crap but this has really got me perplexed. Psychologically it is hard to give up or reduce lifting in order to concentrate on conditioning but I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet.

The problem is if you don't you will only cause more stress as you will be spinning in circles. But you don't have to give up weight lifting, just realize that you might not be at a point in your life where it should be the priority, so tone it down to whatever allows continued, consistent lifting but without the additional fatigue.

DKM,

Would it be the same if he trained 4X a week but only half the exercises each session? THis way he wouldnt get fatigued and wouldnt feel like he was reducing the amount of lifting.

Joe G

It depends on his own exercise tolerance and what it is he is exactly doing throughout the remainder of the time.

Fatigue develops because of many factors. He would have to try and see.

Hey mate, Ive just been dealing witht the same problem. I seem to have a low tolerance for exercise and require a bit more recovery than most people to avoid fatigue. Are you doing any med-high intensity cardio/activity at all? If you are this may effect your recovery. So will poor nutrition and sleep.
At first I tried to avoid any cardio training but this still didnt help. Then I tried splitting up my reps so that I was having more rests during my sessions but the workouts didnt feel as good and it only helped reduce fatigue for a short while. Then I bit the bullet and last week I finally cut my training sessions back to twice a week and its made the world of difference.
Its only early days so Im not sure how it will effect my training and hypertrophy long term but all is going well for now and I feel great going into each workout. Not much you can do about genetics-some people with higher tolerance can train everyday so it makes sense that some will have a lower than average tolerance like me. Youve gotta do what works for you.
Good luck-Will

How long have you been training full body 3 times a week?
You have to give any exercise regimine some time to take effect. I don't know what your present level of conditioning is currently but possibly the problem is that you are "out of shape". Allow yourself to adapt to the exercise. When you first get started it will definitely leave you feeling like you've gotten your @$$ kicked, but itis those who persist and endure who become successful. Remember also that carrying a lot of bodyfat will definitley make you feel lazy and sluggish. And also remember that Ronnie Coleman wasn't born with a Mr. O physique.

thehamma

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dkm1987 @ Oct. 02 2005,4:36)]It depends on his own exercise tolerance and what it is he is exactly doing throughout the remainder of the time.
Fatigue develops because of many factors. He would have to try and see.
I am starting to believe my exercise tolerance is indeed low. I have to face the fact that I'm 46 now, test levels just aren't what they use to be. I may have to go back to a conventional split doing each bodypart once per week.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (thehamma @ Oct. 03 2005,9:45)]How long have you been training full body 3 times a week?
You have to give any exercise regimine some time to take effect. I don't know what your present level of conditioning is currently but possibly the problem is that you are "out of shape". Allow yourself to adapt to the exercise. When you first get started it will definitely leave you feeling like you've gotten your @$$ kicked, but itis those who persist and endure who become successful. Remember also that carrying a lot of bodyfat will definitley make you feel lazy and sluggish. And also remember that Ronnie Coleman wasn't born with a Mr. O physique.
thehamma
Well, this is the start of my 4th HST cycle so I would think I should be use to fullbody 3 x weekly by now. My conditioning is not as good as it should be, I know. I just started back training seriously about a year and a half ago after a layoff of many years. Although I am carrying alot of bodyfat right now I have a powerlifter's physique and carry fat well, as if that's a good thing. I guess I'll just have to buckle down and start emphasizing cardio over weights until my endurance/fatigue tolerance is enhanced.

Hardrock,

Why go back to a "traditional" split routine? Just take the overall weekly volume you would be doing with that routine, and split it into 3 fullbody workouts. This way of course you wouldn't be increasing the overall volume, so exercise tolerance should not be a problem.

All I'm trying to say is that exercise tolerance should not dictate the way we train, but only the volume we use.

Thought i'd chime in here.

I noticed as well that I don't feel great after my 15 workout. I had mine last night and feel "off" today.

I'm wondering if its a combo of a few things:

1.) Not enough calories/food.
2.) Not recovering quickly enough.

I'm thinking of dropping some sets and maybe even the workout frequency to 2x a week.

After the 10's and 5's workout, I feel pretty good. No problems the next day.

For whatever reasons though, the 15's seem to really work me over pretty good.

Any ideas why?

Thanks,

Jason

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hardrock @ Oct. 01 2005,1:45)]I've noticed that I always start to feel sh*tty on the 2nd day following an HST 3 x per week full body workout, just when I'm suppose to be doing the next workout. What's up with that? Is it the accumulation of metabolic waste? Does it mean I should start putting an extra day between workouts, and, if so, how will that affect my gains?
Well, the obvious question is what do you mean by sh*tty? If you mean that you feel fatigued to the point of being too tired to do your regular daily routine, then my guess is you are overtaxing your CNS by either doing too many sets/exercises in the gym, pushing to failure or beyond, not getting enough rest between sets, or not getting enough sleep. You may not have your diet quite right either.
If you mean that your muscles/joints are too sore, then either this is a good thing and you aren't accepting this as a sign that what you're doing is working - delayed onset soreness is expected and covered in some of the articles on this site - or same as above and you are doing too many sets. Could be caused by poor exercise form too.

thecoffeeguy,
The first thing that comes to mind is volume. The 15's are taxing, and multiple sets may just be too much. However, if you know you can handle the volume (e.g. from a previous cycle), then the most likely reason is nutrition (not enough calories, usually from carbohydrates).

If everything else is right ie. nutrition,rest etc and you are doing the minimum sets per workout-1 per body/exercise and you still arent recovering then drop it back to 2x/week. If it doesnt work you can always switch back easily during the cycle. If you do switch to 2x/week then I would always do it with the view that at some stage, when tolerance has built, up you will switch back to 3x/week training.
I have just recently switched to 2x/week and am feeling the better for it. Going into each session feeling fully recharged is great but my reason for switching is I have just taken up kickboxing and 3x/week weight training combined is too taxing for now but I will switch back once I have adjusted to the new training.
You could even alternate 3x/week for the first week of each rep range and do 2x/week for the second week when the cns is more taxed as you push towards your rms. Another option could be to set up your rep ranges so that you are doing 5-10% less(or use the same weight from the previous cycle) than your given rm at the end of each two week block to reduce cns fatigue and maintain the 3xweek as the frequency is important for hypertrophy. As long as you have a long enough sd the weight will still be effective and you can aim to bump it up next cycle. I personally am sticking to 2x/week because I like to test my strength/rms at the end of each two week block but its at the sacrafice of frequency.
In a recent thread dkm said that protein synthesis can last up to 96hours after training. Now Im deffinately no expert and I dont want to simplify an extremely complex process(some of the brainier guys might be able to explain this more) as certain anabolic reactions may last the 96hours and some will be a lot shorter, but what it does mean is that you will hopefully stay anabolic for most of the time between each session while training twice/week.
Its not as ideal as the 3x/week for growth as anabolic reactions peak at the 24-48 hour mark but sometimes youve gotta do what you can to move forward with training. Its better to be in the gym training than for the cns to fatigue and not finish your training cycle. We all adapt to training differently and you just need to see it as a stepping stone to something better.
Good luck
-Will

[b said:
Quote[/b] (9to5lifter @ Oct. 04 2005,8:50)]Hardrock,
Why go back to a "traditional" split routine? Just take the overall weekly volume you would be doing with that routine, and split it into 3 fullbody workouts. This way of course you wouldn't be increasing the overall volume, so exercise tolerance should not be a problem.
All I'm trying to say is that exercise tolerance should not dictate the way we train, but only the volume we use.
Before I give up and go back to conventional splits, I think I will decrease the volume on lower body first. I've been reading about the lower body taking longer to recover than upper body and I've got a feeling this has something to do with it. When I was training legs once a week I never had this problem. Squatting 3 x per week plus all the walking, stooping, and bending I do at work may be overworking lower body and affecting my entire system.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SDMuscle @ Oct. 05 2005,2:27)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hardrock @ Oct. 01 2005,1:45)]I've noticed that I always start to feel sh*tty on the 2nd day following an HST 3 x per week full body workout, just when I'm suppose to be doing the next workout. What's up with that? Is it the accumulation of metabolic waste? Does it mean I should start putting an extra day between workouts, and, if so, how will that affect my gains?
Well, the obvious question is what do you mean by sh*tty? If you mean that you feel fatigued to the point of being too tired to do your regular daily routine, then my guess is you are overtaxing your CNS by either doing too many sets/exercises in the gym, pushing to failure or beyond, not getting enough rest between sets, or not getting enough sleep. You may not have your diet quite right either.
If you mean that your muscles/joints are too sore, then either this is a good thing and you aren't accepting this as a sign that what you're doing is working - delayed onset soreness is expected and covered in some of the articles on this site - or same as above and you are doing too many sets. Could be caused by poor exercise form too.
The feeling I have is hard to describe but I feel tired, slightly nauseous, a dull pressure sensation in my head (not a headache though), and my legs feel kind of "heavy". The fatigue is nothing severe enough to prevent daily activities, I just don't have any energy. Maybe it's diet, I don't know. I keep a food log (Fitday) and I average about 2700 to 3000 cals a day on workout days which is slightly below maintenance to maintenance as I am trying to drop bodyfat. I usually don't keep as close a track of calories on non-workout days and probably get less than 2700 cals. Maybe I need to do a better job of tracking cals on these days since they are recovery days. As for number of exercises, sets, rest, etc. I am only doing compounds this cycle (7 exercises), 2 x 15, with 30 secs to 1 minute rest.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (stealthboy @ Oct. 06 2005,5:32)]If everything else is right ie. nutrition,rest etc and you are doing the minimum sets per workout-1 per body/exercise and you still arent recovering then drop it back to 2x/week. If it doesnt work you can always switch back easily during the cycle. If you do switch to 2x/week then I would always do it with the view that at some stage, when tolerance has built, up you will switch back to 3x/week training.
I have just recently switched to 2x/week and am feeling the better for it. Going into each session feeling fully recharged is great but my reason for switching is I have just taken up kickboxing and 3x/week weight training combined is too taxing for now but I will switch back once I have adjusted to the new training.
You could even alternate 3x/week for the first week of each rep range and do 2x/week for the second week when the cns is more taxed as you push towards your rms. Another option could be to set up your rep ranges so that you are doing 5-10% less(or use the same weight from the previous cycle) than your given rm at the end of each two week block to reduce cns fatigue and maintain the 3xweek as the frequency is important for hypertrophy. As long as you have a long enough sd the weight will still be effective and you can aim to bump it up next cycle. I personally am sticking to 2x/week because I like to test my strength/rms at the end of each two week block but its at the sacrafice of frequency.
In a recent thread dkm said that protein synthesis can last up to 96hours after training. Now Im deffinately no expert and I dont want to simplify an extremely complex process(some of the brainier guys might be able to explain this more) as certain anabolic reactions may last the 96hours and some will be a lot shorter, but what it does mean is that you will hopefully stay anabolic for most of the time between each session while training twice/week.
Its not as ideal as the 3x/week for growth as anabolic reactions peak at the 24-48 hour mark but sometimes youve gotta do what you can to move forward with training. Its better to be in the gym training than for the cns to fatigue and not finish your training cycle. We all adapt to training differently and you just need to see it as a stepping stone to something better.
Good luck
-Will
Good info and advice. Thanks.

Legs are a killer for me too. They get worked a fair bit with everything else I do so I only train them once at the end of the week.
I also noticed you are doing 2x15 for each exercise. I iknow mentally its hard but if you dropped back to 1x15 for each exercise you would probably be fine for the 3xweek training

Back