Wildmans log of HST trial cycle one...

Wildman

Even though HST doesnt really start until next week I think I can safely log my findings so far for the starting weights.

Bench Press 255# 1 X 15
Incline Fly 45# 1 X 15
Barbell Row 195# 1 X 15
Seated Cable Row 185# 1 X 15
Squat 305# 1 X 15
Two Leg Extension 165# 1 X 15
Straight Leg Deadlift 235# 1 X 15
Military Press 145# 1 X 15
Back Fly 20# 1 X 15
Barbell Shrug 315# 1 X 15
Lying Tricep Extension 105# 1 X 15
Barbell Curl 95# 1 X 15
Hammer Curl 35# 1 X 15
Weighted Situp BW + 20# 1 X 15

Dumbell Press 65# 1 X 15
Decline Fly 50# 1 X 15
Lat Pull 235# 1 X 15
Dumbell Row 75# 1 X 15
Deadlift 305# 1 X 15
One Leg Extension 75# 1 X 15
Lunge 60# 1 X 15
Dumbell Press 65# 1 X 15
Side Shoulder Raise 20# 1 X 15
Dumbell Shrug 155# 1 X 15
Close Grip Bench Press 225# 1 X 15
Seated Dumbell Curl 35# 1 X 15
Barbell Wrist Curl 225# 1 X 15
Cable Crunch 125# 1 X 15

Wish me luck and I will keep updating.

That sounds like a awful lot of exercises. How are you distributing them on your workouts?

<div>
(Wildman @ Aug. 13 2008,1:29)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Wish me luck and I will keep updating.</div>
wishing you luck!

how big a boy are you? nice squats.

<div>
(electric @ Aug. 13 2008,4:20)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">That sounds like a awful lot of exercises. How are you distributing them on your workouts?</div>
I use an antagonistic superset scheme. Chest / Back, Legs (Squat or Deadlift) followed by superset for quads and hamstrings, shoulder work (Pressing work followed by superset of shoulder isolation and shrug work). superset Tris and Bis. Polish it up with a superset for abs and forearms. Running me up to the hour and a half mark to finish. I modeled after the example routine from this sight for my design.

I too thoughtthat the volume on the sample could be high so I reduced the set counts on the isolation work to one through out the routine. So far so good getting through but I am coming off of a volume periodized routine using shocks. I seem to be fine for now as my endurance was pretty good from this training. I can always drop work from the isolation work if the 5s offer me too much inroads into CNS. In my introduction I list my routine with asterisk denoting the core lifts. These will always get done in the routine. The others are the icing on the cake. Since I really like cake, Ill still eat all I can even without the icing. I will be watching for the overtraining signs and plan not to work to failure.

15 minutes of the speedbag
(striking for singles each hand for most of it now. Switch to doubles for last few minutes) Shoulders so tight they might just burst out of the tank top. Good!

15 minutes heavy bag
Whoo! Whoo! breathing like a freight train. I can feel the tension melt away in a wash of sweet sweat.

30 minutes of speed walking

At 2.5 miles for the speed walking. Will get that 3 mile mark soon!

Note: Look at ze big girlie man prancing around ze neighborhood doing his speed walk. You got a license for dose hips girlie man? Try und not bump into any old ladies!

<div>
(Wildman @ Aug. 14 2008,12:58)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Note: Look at ze big girlie man prancing around ze neighborhood doing his speed walk. You got a license for dose hips girlie man? Try und not bump into any old ladies!</div>
I'd love to see that!! Welcome to the forum Wildman. Read your post &quot;chomping at the bit&quot; and am really looking forward to following your log. Good luck!!

Bench Press 285# 1 X 10
Incline Fly 55# 1 X 10
Barbell Row 225# 1 X 10
Seated Cable Row 220# 1 X 10
Squat 350# 1 X 10
Two Leg Extension 190# 1 X 10
Straight Leg Deadlift 275# 1 X 10
Military Press 165# 1 X 10
Back Fly 25# 1 X 10
Barbell Shrug 360# 1 X 10
Lying Tricep Extension 120# 1 X 10
Barbell Curl 110# 1 X 10
Hammer Curl 40# 1 X 10
Weighted Situp BW + 25# 1 X 10

Dumbell Bench Press 75# 1 X 10
Decline Fly 65# 1 X 10
Lat Pull 250# 1 X 10
Dumbell Row 80# 1 X 10
Deadlift 350# 1 X 10
One Leg Extension 85# 1 X 10
Lunge 70# 1 X 10
Dumbell Press 70# 1 X 10
Side Shoulder Raise 25# 1 X 10
Dumbell Shrug 170# 1 X 10
Close Grip Bench Press 245# 1 X 10
Seated Dumbell Curl 45# 1 X 10
Barbell Wrist Curl 240# 1 X 10
Cable Crunch 135# 1 X 10

Bummed out about my partners groin injury. I will be watching the goober like a hawk for a while to be sure he stays in form. This was to be our starting week on HST but will bump it to next week. We will finish up setting our five rep maxes tonight and Friday. Took Monday off to give him more time to heal up.

I doubled up on my cardio this week so two days of:

15 minutes speed bag
15 minutes heavy bag
30 minutes speed walking. 2.5 miles Monday, 2.75 miles Tuesday. Will try for three miles in thirty minutes next week.

Very interesting approach, Wildman. Sorry to hear about your partner's injury! I hope you can start the cycle next week as planned.

Good luck!

Good news. My partner appears to be healed up and was ready to start the first cycle last night. Odd to start it on a Wednesday but that wont hurt anything. We needed to start soon since he is going through divorce and will be moving away soon. It went pretty well. We finished the lifting in 45 minutes or so. Some lifts felt light but the progression will come as we go. It is nice to come off of a three day split of failure training to a full body routine. There is something very satisfying about getting a full body workout in.

Bench Press 190# 1 X 15
Incline Fly 35# 1 X 15
Barbell Row 145# 1 X 15
Seated Cable Row 140# 1 X 15
Squat 230# 1 X 15
Two Leg Extension 125# 1 X 15
Straight Leg Deadlift 175# 1 X 15
Military Press 110# 1 X 15
Back Fly 10# 1 X 15
Barbell Shrug 235# 1 X 15
Lying Tricep Extension 75# 1 X 15
Barbell Curl 70# 1 X 15
Hammer Curl 25# 1 X 15
Weighted Situp BW + 10# 1 X 15

15 minutes speed bag - Got all single strikes this time. Man my shoulders got fried though. Good stuff.

15 minutes heavy bag - Added more bob and weave practice to the punches. Got a real nice tightness in the obliques for my effort.

30 minutes speed walking. 2 miles - Was going to do a few more laps but the neighbor caught me and needed help moving a fridge.

(I wonder if everyone who lifts gets treated like the moving company or something? Or is it just me?)

Ok, back to the B routine again tonight. Lets see if my partner can handle the lighter deadlifts.

Dumbell Press 55# 1 X 15
Decline Fly 40# 1 X 15
Lat Pull 180# 1 X 15
Dumbell Row 55# 1 X 15
Deadlift 230# 1 X 15
One Leg Extension 55# 1 X 15
Lunge 45# 1 X 15
Dumbell Press 50# 1 X 15
Side Shoulder Raise 10# 1 X 15
(easy but I dont have micro plates)
Dumbell Shrug 115# 1 X 15
Close Grip Bench Press 170# 1 X 15
Seated Dumbell Curl 25# 1 X 15
Barbell Wrist Curl 95# 1 X 15
(changed this exercise from the reverse style to the bench)
Cable Crunch 95# 1 X 15

holy cow dude

that volume/variety is amazing

lol. i'm watching closely

I think you'll find my coming set up amusing. total noobville, 3 compounds maybe nothing more.

<div>
(beingisbeing @ Aug. 25 2008,11:52)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">holy cow dude

that volume/variety is amazing

lol. i'm watching closely

I think you'll find my coming set up amusing. total noobville, 3 compounds maybe nothing more.</div>
Yeah. Me and my partner are concerned we went to aggressive too. We decided to keep the isolations to single sets throughout and only do multiples on the compound / core lifts. I am hoping that will be enough to get us through without undue stress. If not, I will drop isolation work from the torso first and then move to the extremeties if further reduction is needed. I tend to have pretty good instincts about overtraining. We should be able to catch it early enough. I just modeled after the sample on the site. After seeing so many using an abbreviated version of HST I still have doubts but wanted to give it a reasonable try as prescribed by Bryan.

Decided to post this here so people would have some idea as to what my program looked like this cycle.

Following a traditional HST as prescribed including the 15s. We will be using an A / B scheme to incorporate more variance in our exercises. All exercises will be done in a single set during the 15s including the isolation work. I will use a 2 X 10 scheme for the 10s for the compound core movements and a 1 X 10 for the isolation work. Following that will be a 3 X 5 for the compounds and a 1 X 5 for the isolation work. I want CNS load low and I know with the intensity I can muster a single set is enough. Will polish this up with two to three weeks using progressively over 5s weight but will utilize Max - Stim (Milk Squats), negatives, drop sets, static holds (after reaching max reps), and 3 X 3s. All of these tecniques will be used across all of the lifts during this final phase. I believe in shocking and muscle confusion to a degree and even if it is B.S., this will kick my @#$! out of a plateau guaranteed. When the gains stop on half the lifts, lets take a break and reflect on our hugeness and repeat baby.

I will run through two cycles and go back to my beloved 5 X 5 to set some records. Then maybe back here to HST if it really works well. Giving it two cycles seems fair to me. I can control my diet well enough so if it works, it will work on me.

Exercises chosen:  The * denotes core movements
***** A Split *****
* Bench Press
Incline Fly
* Barbell Row
Seated Cable Row
* Squat
Two Leg Extension
* Straight Leg Deadlift
* Military Press
Back Fly
* Barbell Shrug
* Lying Tricep Extension
* Barbell Curl
Hammer Curl
* Weighted Situp

***** B Split *****
* Dumbell Bench Press
Decline Fly
* Lat Pull
Dumbell Row
* Deadlift
One Leg Extension
* Lunge
* Dumbell Press
Side Shoulder Raise
* Dumbell Shrug
* Close Grip Bench Press
* Seated Dumbell Curl
Barbell Wrist Curl
* Cable Crunch

Special notes:

Weighted situps are being done over a bench to allow for hyperextension during the movement.

Dumbell Rows are being done with the elbows out away from the torso to force more work into the rhomboids and rear deltiods. I felt I needed a little more work in this area.

Dumbell shrugs are being performed with a forward roll of the shoulders at the peak contraction instead of straight up and down. This tends to increase the time of the contraction and adds a little antagonistic work for the traps as the upper chest contracts to roll the weight forward while the traps are under load.

Barbell wrist curls were originally being done behind the back, so reverse barbell wrist curls would have been more accurate. We change to doing these over the edge of a bench and reduced the weight a bit. This will place more of the work on the extended portion of the lift as opposed to the cntracted portion. We wanted a change of pace.

Monday - Week One

We decided to repeat last weeks efforts to get us on track again with our A / B scheme. So we just used the same weights again and are really considering this our first week even though we worked Wed. and Fri. last week.

Bench Press  190# 1 X 15
Incline Fly  35# 1 X 15
Barbell Row  145# 1 X 15
Seated Cable Row  140# 1 X 15
Squat  230# 1 X 15
Two Leg Extension  125# 1 X 15
Straight Leg Deadlift   175# 1 X 15
Military Press  110# 1 X 15
Back Fly  10# 1 X 15
Barbell Shrug  235# 1 X 15
Lying Tricep Extension  75# 1 X 15
Barbell Curl  70# 1 X 15
Hammer Curl  25# 1 X 15
Weighted Situp  BW + 10# 1 X 15

Skipped out on cardio yesterday. I had a good excuse! Two coworkers asked me to put together a general fitness workout for them given they can workout on Tues. Thurs. Fri. only. So I laid out a nice circuit of the machines for them for Tues. and used a upper split lower split for Thurs. and Fri. using the little bit of the free weights our company gym has to offer. I spent about an hour with them demonstrating the lift and proper form. I actually worked up a sweat since I went through all of the lifts with them for all three days. I used light weight but counted this as cardio work.

Two more potential iron heads in the making perhaps.

Evil Mr. Burns Voice (Excellent Smithersss.. Excellent!)

Abscent minded me... I had taken some measurements at the end of my SD before starting up so will log them now. I will measure again at the end of the SD this cycle to note my results.

Weight - 317#

Measuements:

Neck - 20&quot;
Upper Arm - 19.5&quot;
Forearm - 14.5&quot; (I think that is too thin and will work on that I think)
Chest - 58&quot;
Waist - 46.75&quot; (Yuck! but it will be a while before I cut. I did it to myself.)
Upper Thigh - 29.5&quot;
Calf - 20.5&quot;

Wednesday - Week One

Same as last week but this is the official starting week.

Dumbell Press  55# 1 X 15
Decline Fly  45# 1 X 15 - (Felt really light to me so added 5#.)
Lat Pull  180# 1 X 15
Dumbell Row  55# 1 X 15
Deadlift  230# 1 X 15
One Leg Extension  55# 1 X 15
Lunge  45# 1 X 15
Dumbell Press  50# 1 X 15
Side Shoulder Raise  10# 1 X 15
Dumbell Shrug  115# 1 X 15 (Added calf raises back in for my partner, we are just using the same weight as these so we can get em in quickly.)
Close Grip Bench Press  170# 1 X 15
Seated Dumbell Curl  25# 1 X 15
Barbell Wrist Curl  95# 1 X 15
Cable Crunch  95# 1 X 15

15 minutes speed bag (I didnt hit the bag fat even once so no settle the bag and restart. A small victory but you have to look for those and enjoy them.)

15 minutes heavy bag (Change of pace today, I worked it south paw. Interesting leading out right handed in my mental boxing match I play as I do these.)

30 minutes speed walking. 2.5 miles (It felt like enough work so I didint push)

Back