Straight Leg Deadlift 205# 1 X 15
Military Press 125# 1 X 15
Back Fly 15# 1 X 15
Barbell Shrug 275# 1 X 15
Lying Tricep Extension 90# 1 X 15
Barbell Curl 80# 1 X 15
Hammer Curl 30# 1 X 15
Weighted Situp BW + 15# 1 X 15

Notes: This is starting to feel more significant now.

Monday - Week Two

Dumbell Press 60# 1 X 15
Decline Fly 50# 1 X 15
Lat Pull 210# 1 X 15
Dumbell Row 65# 1 X 15
Deadlift 270# 1 X 15
One Leg Extension 65# 1 X 15
Lunge 50# 1 X 15
Dumbell Shoulder Press 60# 1 X 15 (Felt heavy but no partial plates and got it in with a little gas left in the tank)
Side Shoulder Raise 15# 1 X 15
Dumbell Shrug 135# 1 X 15 (Continued with the calf raises with this weight)
Close Grip Bench Press 200# 1 X 15
Seated Dumbell Curl 30# 1 X 15
Barbell Wrist Curl 105# 1 X 15 (Didn't have a starting weight so went up by 10. Ill make 115# I think)
Cable Crunch 110# 1 X 15

Notes: I could feel the cumulative effects of the first week on Saturday but felt good on Sunday and Monday. I can start to see where this is going now. Will monitor for CNS fatigue closely and adjust if needed. I hope I dont need to though. I like the isolation work. Considering a staggered approach to isolation work as opposed to dropping them completely. Pushing isolations for the A routine and pulling isolations for the B routine perhaps.

Life got in the way yet again for my cardio work Tuesday. The girls made me take them shopping.

Lots of walking about and standing but little sweating. Argh! We didnt get back until bedtime.

Funny how you beat yourself up for a skipped workout. It is a good sign of my dedication I guess, or my mania.

<div>
(Wildman @ Sep. 03 2008,1:09)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Life got in the way yet again for my cardio work Tuesday. The girls made me take them shopping.

Lots of walking about and standing but little sweating. Argh! We didnt get back until bedtime.

Funny how you beat yourself up for a skipped workout. It is a good sign of my dedication I guess, or my mania.</div>
I can completely relate, Wildman.

I have to believe that you're right both that the feeling is due to dedication AND mania. What normal person gets upset when they can't make themselves sore? I think every one of us on the board are a tad bit manic. Um, and dedicated....

It's a vicious circle.

Wednesday - Week Two

Bench Press 255# 1 X 16
Incline Fly 50# 1 X 16 - Decided to go an extra 5#
Barbell Row 195# 1 X 16
Seated Cable Row 195# 1 X 16 - Decided to go an extra 10#
Squat 305# 1 X 16
Two Leg Extension 165# 1 X 16
Straight Leg Deadlift 235# 1 X 16
Military Press 145# 1 X 16
Back Fly 20# 1 X 16
Barbell Shrug 315# 1 X 16
Barbell Calf Raise 315# 1 X 16
Lying Tricep Extension 105# 1 X 16
Barbell Curl 95# 1 X 16
Hammer Curl 35# 1 X 16
Weighted Situp BW + 20# 1 X 16

Notes: Took all lifts short of failure and added a rep to be sure I could excede my PR.

Most all of these lifts I had another rep or two left in the tank. Of course some I could have made that at the start but I have no micro plates to tune to that level.

Several of the larger lifts though where my PR so overall I would say a nice gain.

Traps were still sore form Monday. I went directly into calf raises from my dumbell shrugs. Holding the weight that long took my traps close to failure Im sure. I will rest them and treat the calf work as a real set instead of an after thought.

Good solid workout Wildman. I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on with Friday's session. Hope you get some good sleep and eats before then.
smile.gif

Seems you are doing calf raises while holding a bb or dbs. Are you standing on a platform so you can drop your heels down and if so, how do you find balancing? I'm working on a way to do standing calf raises with a bb in my rack but I think I'd rather have the bar on my traps than hang on to it.

<div>
(Lol @ Sep. 04 2008,10:01)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Good solid workout Wildman. I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on with Friday's session. Hope you get some good sleep and eats before then.  
smile.gif

Seems you are doing calf raises while holding a bb or dbs. Are you standing on a platform so you can drop your heels down and if so, how do you find balancing? I'm working on a way to do standing calf raises with a bb in my rack but I think I'd rather have the bar on my traps than hang on to it.</div>
Yeah we are doing the raises on a 3&quot; thick 16&quot; wide plank for these with the barbell hanging in front or dumbells at our side. I have done these before and have big feet so the balance isnt so bad for me but my partner has balance issues.

I didnt feel the need for these but my partner needs the calf work and this was the most expedient way to get them in without adding too much extra time to our routine. The weights that we are shrugging are really close to our calf work weights, maybe a little heavy for him.

Since it is so heavy I had him actually pause at the bottom once his heel hits the floor. This has let him get through the set since he can make minor adjustments and come out of the hole strong. I have been doing them with constant tension and just brushing my heel to the floor. Thank our maker for big wide feet.

15 minutes of the speedbag - All single strikes again. I think I got it now. Sweet!

15 minutes heavy bag - Added variety and went south paw this time. That was fun.

Stood at the garage door and watched the rain for my walk today. My old AirDyne bike is still needing a new hub for the fan.

Friday - Week Two

Dumbell Press 65# 1 X 16
Decline Fly 55# 1 X 16 (Went for a little more weight and made it)
Lat Pull 235# 1 X 16
Dumbell Row 75# 1 X 16
Deadlift 305# 1 X 16 (It is a long way to 16. Lost form a little at the end from fatigue. Might have pushed out one more if someone beat me with a whip)
One Leg Extension 75# 1 X 16
Lunge 60# 1 X 16
Dumbell Shoulder Press 65# 1 X 16
Side Shoulder Raise 20# 1 X 15 (The one movement I didnt make progress on.)
Dumbell Shrug 155# 1 X 16
Dumbell Calf Raise 155# 1 X 16
Close Grip Bench Press 225# 1 X 16 (Had another two in the tank I think. Very pleased)
Seated Dumbell Curl 35# 1 X 16 (Was difficult but made it. I never really had great bis anyway but the increase was a pleasant surprise)
Barbell Wrist Curl 115# 1 X 16 (Nearly dropped the weight at the end but I got it baby!)
Cable Crunch 125# 1 X 16

Notes: Much the same results for the finish of the B routine as I seen in the A routine. I made progress pretty much across the board.

Added the pause between my trap work and calf work and the soreness issue in my traps has been resolved. That was a long time to try and hold a weight.

I need to work on my grip strength. I will start to use straps for deadlift and trap work I think during the tens and beyond.

Monday - Week Three

Bench Press 225# 2 X 10
Incline Fly 45# 1 X 10
Barbell Row 180# 2 X 10
Seated Cable Row 175# 1 X 10
Squat 280# 2 X 10
Two Leg Extension 150# 1 X 10
Straight Leg Deadlift 220# 2 X 10
Military Press 135# 2 X 10
Back Fly 15# 1 X 10
Barbell Shrug 290# 2 X 10
Barbell Calf Raise 290# 1 X 10
Lying Tricep Extension 95# 2 X 10
Barbell Curl 90# 2 X 10
Hammer Curl 30# 1 X 10
Weighted Situp BW + 15# 2 X 10 (These are getting easier. Was only using crunch work for a long time so nice to add weight.)

Notes: Recovered well from last week and felt strong for Monday. The workout took about 70 minutes. The prior meso cyle was around 55 minutes. So I think that we will get to maintain the volume of exercises into the 5s even without a reduction. We will adjust if we excede 90 minutes. Our rest times between sets has been around between a minute and two minutes depending upon the lift. I expect this to increase as we progress towards the 5s.

Tuesday - Week Three

25 minutes speed bag - Was in a groove and spent more time on the speed bag. Considering switching down to the micro-bag soon. Not sure if I have the hand speed for it yet.

5 minutes heavy bag

30 minutes speed walking 2.5 miles

Wednesday - Week Three

Dumbell Bench Press 60# 2 X 10
Decline Fly 55# 1 X 10
Lat Pull 200# 2 X 10
Dumbell Row 65# 1 X 10
Deadlift 280# 2 X 10
One Leg Extension 65# 1 X 10
Lunge 50# 2 X 10
Dumbell Press 50# 2 X 10
Side Shoulder Raise 15# 1 X 10
Dumbell Shrug 135# 2X 10
Close Grip Bench Press 195# 2 X 10
Seated Dumbell Curl 35# 2 X 10
Barbell Wrist Curl 100# 2 X 10
Cable Crunch 105# 2 X 10

Notes: We went for about 75 minutes this time with a one or two minute rest perioddepending upon the lifts. I changed my lunge to a reverse lunge. My form has been bad and I find it easier to hit the right form reverse style with no loss of effectiveness.

Friday - Week Three

Bench Press 255# 2 X 10
Incline Fly 50# 1 X 10
Barbell Row 200# 2 X 10
Seated Cable Row 195# 1 X 10
Squat 305# 2 X 10
Two Leg Extension 170# 1 X 10
Straight Leg Deadlift 245# 2 X 10
Military Press 150# 2 X 10
Back Fly 20# 1 X 10
Barbell Shrug 325# 2 X 10
Barbell Calf Raise 325# 1 X 10
Lying Tricep Extension 105# 2 X 10
Barbell Curl 100# 2 X 10
Hammer Curl 35# 1 X 10
Weighted Situp BW + 20# 2 X 10

Notes: I mentioned to my partner that I feel fuller all the time on this routine. Fuller all over too not just a lingering pump like in a split routine. Much like the feel of a 5X5 routine. It is satisfying to be reminded of the hard work and rewarded this way. Not happy with my shoulder strength at all. I will be working to address this with more focus next cycle.

Monday - Week Four

Was sick this day. I ate a can of beef stew Sunday night and was very ill. I dug that sucker out of the trash and found that it was five years old. The wife is searching through all of the cabinets today and tossing our anything not made this year. Funny it didnt taste odd.

I did do isometric squeezes for the entire body while I was in bed. Two sets of twenty static holds for five seconds. I am actually a little sore today from this.

The plan is to go forward with the PRs on Wednesday and Friday. I believe I will swap the order of A and B this week so that the B are not not so far from the last workout. Will be back on track next week.

<div>
(Wildman @ Sep. 16 2008,8:32)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Was sick this day. I ate a can of beef stew Sunday night and was very ill. I dug that sucker out of the trash and found that it was five years old. The wife is searching through all of the cabinets today and tossing our anything not made this year. Funny it didnt taste odd.</div>
Jeeebus! Five years? That's awesome. I once had an unopened tetrapack of milk that was so old it eventually &quot;exploded&quot; (started leaking that is). One morning the fridge floor was full of milk - and an absolutely vile smell. That's when I realized the package had been there for quite some time. Can't remember exactly how old it was though...

Tuesday - Week Four

20 minutes speed bag - I think the heavy bag is getting jealous...

15 minutes heavy bag

Speed walk 2.5 miles

<div>
(Minime @ Sep. 16 2008,2:31)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Wildman @ Sep. 16 2008,8:32)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Was sick this day. I ate a can of beef stew Sunday night and was very ill. I dug that sucker out of the trash and found that it was five years old. The wife is searching through all of the cabinets today and tossing our anything not made this year. Funny it didnt taste odd.</div>
Jeeebus! Five years? That's awesome. I once had an unopened tetrapack of milk that was so old it eventually &quot;exploded&quot; (started leaking that is). One morning the fridge floor was full of milk - and an absolutely vile smell. That's when I realized the package had been there for quite some time. Can't remember exactly how old it was though...</div>
Ewww! Old milk is one of the worst smells too. The wife found several more cans of various goods that were older than a year. She said it actually made our lazy susan cabinet easier to turn.

Wednesday - Week Four

Bench Press 285# 1 X 10, 1 X 11
Incline Fly 55# 1 X 11
Barbell Row 225# 1 X 10, 1 X 11
Seated Cable Row 220# 1 X 11
Squat 350# 1 X 10, 1 X 11
Two Leg Extension 190# 1 X 11
Straight Leg Deadlift 275# 1 X 10, 1 X 11
Military Press 165# 1 X 10, 1 X 8, 1 X 2 - Had real trouble on this weight this time.
Back Fly 25# 1 X 11
Barbell Shrug 360# 1 X 10, 1 X 11
Lying Tricep Extension 120# 1 X 10, 1 X 11
Barbell Curl 110# 1 X 10, 1 X 11
Hammer Curl 40# - Skipped
Weighted Situp BW + 25# - Skipped

Notes: As we suspected, the volume is getting to be a bit high. Both my partner and I were quite gassed out after the SLDLs. The remaining lifts suffered and we stopped short of finishing at 90 minutes.

We will continue the full routine for Friday as well but we will discuss what to remove from this routine for the 5s. I believe that we will be able to simply remove the isolation work from the larger muscle groups and do well but I am open to debate.

Over all the performance was very good with new PRs for this rep range. As I write this I am feeling the effects of last nights work quite a bit.

<div>
(Wildman @ Sep. 16 2008,8:26)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Notes: I mentioned to my partner that I feel fuller all the time on this routine. Fuller all over too not just a lingering pump like in a split routine. Much like the feel of a 5X5 routine. It is satisfying to be reminded of the hard work and rewarded this way.</div>
With your fives coming up, you'll really be reminded of your 5x5 work and how these two routines get similar results. Great work on your first 4 weeks. Enjoy your 5's and beyond!!
mad.gif

<div>
(BAX67 @ Sep. 18 2008,10:23)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Wildman @ Sep. 16 2008,8:26)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Notes: I mentioned to my partner that I feel fuller all the time on this routine. Fuller all over too not just a lingering pump like in a split routine. Much like the feel of a 5X5 routine. It is satisfying to be reminded of the hard work and rewarded this way.</div>
With your fives coming up, you'll really be reminded of your 5x5 work and how these two routines get similar results.  Great work on your first 4 weeks.  Enjoy your 5's and beyond!!
mad.gif
</div>
Thanks for the support bud. I believe it will be similar too. I never used this many isolations in my 5X5s, just a few extras to hit arms and shoulders directly. I think this will be the key to get through this as well.

Back