Workout Nutrition vs. Calories

Discussion in 'Diet & Nutrition' started by BIGBANGSingh, May 19, 2005.

1. BIGBANGSingh

BIGBANGSingh New Member

I focus on pre- & post- workout nutrition, but not on total caloric intake. In other words, I take HS:CRE, PRIME+ & DRIVE+, but otherwise only eat when I'm hungry. Will I still see significant growth, or is it impossible to grow without a caloric surplus?

2. baby a

baby a New Member

497 posts and you still are wondering about that..... [​IMG]

3. Sure you can grow if you are eating enough. The question is, are you? without a way of tracking it you can only go by the scale and your body composition, are you gaining weight? Adding Size? this will tell you.

4. BIGBANGSingh

BIGBANGSingh New Member

I asked this question hypothetically - not actually doing this. I'm wondering what percentage of growth actually comes from pre- & post- workout nutrition vs. total caloric intake.

5. Totentanz

Totentanz Super Moderator Staff Member

From my understanding, pre and post workout nutrition won't matter at all if you aren't eating enough total calories throughout the day. If you have to choose between proper nutrition around your workout or eating over maintenance each day, choose to eat over maintenance. Missing a protein shake after your workout won't kill you as long as you get enough food in your stomach during the day.

6. skinnyman

skinnyman New Member

i've run out of protein shakes and i feel like death in the gym a while ago. thanks for this thread, i'm just going to eat some canned tuna later.

7. Falco

Falco New Member

You MUST have the caloric surplus. Reread the Diet & Nutrition FAQ. This is really full of all the "good stuff" you need to know. I find myself reviewing it every couple weeks.

So, to chop that up a little bit to answer your question:

So to some up, your pre & post workout meals are the most important. The rest of you day, you are most concerned with eating enough good calories - complex carbs, EFAs, & protein. Really if you are taking Prime+ & Drive+, for the rest of the day just eat clean & make sure that you are getting at least 500 calories over mainenance.