Wrist Injury and resulting problems

brent217

I have been following the HST formula for a while now.

During my last week off, I fell backwards and landed poorly on my outstretched arms, hurting my left wrist. My physiotherapist told me wrist injuries take a good 6 weeks or so to heal. I decided to play it by ear and see what I could do anyways.

First day back, every exercise is fine except bench press. I went to lift out the empty bar, and my wrist hurt. I discovered that if I kept the wrist straight and holding the weight in my palm instead of letting the weight rest on the meatly part of the palm I could bench with no real pain, and I was able to do my exercise this way.

The heavy 15s week sucked harder, as the weight was getting heavy enough that I was having trouble keeping my hand in this odd position, but I made it through. Light 10s was much easier.

I ran into problems at the end of my heavy 10s week. Up to that point, I had felt my wrist was healing at about the same rate the weights were increasing, but my second last 10s day with 185 pounds caused my wrist a lot of pain. The last workout was a wash. I did 4 reps with 195, then my wrist hurt so bad I had to rack it. I waited for the pain to subside, then did another 4 reps, and repeated for my last 2 reps. Ya, not the way you are supposed to do the 10s set, I know. ( I only do 1 workset per bodypart).

Last week was light 5s, and my wrist isn't getting better. Friday I had the same problem with 197.5, I did 4 reps, racked the weight from pain, waited for the pain to go away, then did my last rep.

So. This is supposed to be heavy 5s week. What do I do this week? try 195 again all three times? Try and go heavier and (probably) do multiple sets of 1 to 2 reps? How do I work this in, and how do I build my routine next cycle? Do I call this bench cycle a wash out, and try the weights I was supposed to do again next time? Do I repeat my last good cycle?

Looking for advice/reccomndations.

Hi Brent

To be totally brutally honest mate, you really need to rest it, as your physio says...

I know its a pain in the butt, but if you keep training, with an injury, it really isnt gonna get better.

Pain is your body's warning system. If it hurts... rather than an ache... it means something is wrong.

Believe me, we've all probably been there. I know I've trained through injuries... (I'm very clumsy - I fell over backwards once, squatting! Damn that hurt, and nearly busted my spine) but in the long run, all you're doing is damaging the wrist more.

I really suggest you take a lay off from the training. Even exercises that you dont think use your wrist much - like squats or leg work, still involve gripping... and you just dont know how much pressure you're putting on the injury.

Look at it like you're starting your SD early.
Get some good rest. Maybe run/jog a bit, if you're frustrated by it, but just dont put workload on that injury.

Otherwise it'll come back and haunt you when you get older...

Just my opinion.... based on shed loads of injuries over the years!

Brix

Brent

First thing I'd ask is if you've strapped it, if you did and you still getting the pain...quit and heal first.

If not, take a few days off, do a lot of wrist exercises without weights, then try it well strapped, it may work, but I am of the opinion that brix's advice is spot on!
wink.gif

You also could stop benching and use the pec deck, doing myo-reps. Or you could also use the cables and the ankle strap. It isn't so long of a healing process that you'll shrink down into a pencil.
Machines sometimes actually have a use.

I did something similar to my wrist about 6 weeks ago and I still have pain and it occasionally "locks up" on me. Be smart and don't rush into any exericses that cause pain. Let it heal.

Hey Brent,

Sounds like you've found the way to hold the bar that puts less strain on your wrists. You should be holding the bar (proper thumb-around-bar grip) so that it sits vertically above your wrist and forearm (wrist-arm angle almost straight). If you allow your wrist to drop back into extension so that the bar sits more in the palm of your hand you are obviously going to be putting a lot more strain on the ligaments and tendons in your wrists.

You should be gripping the bar hard while benching; if this also makes your wrist hurt then you are being further warned to let it heal more.

All the best.

Back