zinc aparate magnesium B6

I know everyone maligns ZMA, but I don't know... I really felt generally more energetic and healthy when taking this supplement compared to generic Zinc/Magenesium formulations. Maybe it had something to do with the $50.00 price tag I was paying per bottle.
tounge.gif

This is the problem when attempting to judge the efficacy of a certain product by such subjective measures as having "more energy" or "feeling healthier". Are they coincidental or a product of the placebo effect?

One thing that I definitely did notice about ZMA and have since read other reports of a similar effect, is the hard time I had falling asleep when taking the product. It is recommended you take the product relatively close to sleep time, but this is when I found it imparting the largest boost of energy. Once I was able to fall asleep though, I never slept better.

A few years ago I also was suckered into buying the ZMA forumation. it didnt do anything, not even help with sleep, which is the most reported advantage. Probably because I had sufficient zinc intake because I eat a reasonable amount of red meat.
Most of the research that is shown on it, provides little information, is published (if at all) in small, relatively unknown journals. And because Victor Conte sponsers a LOT of people, he uses them to show off how great his supplement is (he also defends them when they fail their drug test by huge amounts)
Hes also a spammer, which is bad at the best of times

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ Jan. 05 2003,8:55)]Probably because I had sufficient zinc intake because I eat a reasonable amount of red meat.
Ahhhh, I on the other hand don't really like red meat, except for lamb twice a week.

Maybe it's like those that had great results from creatine (me included) were also people that didn't eat much red meat.

ZMA products may "work" for people who are deficient in the vitamin/minerals it contains. But for the average joe taking a multi, I can't imagine any further benefit.

If nobody in the medical community is using a product for something, then I usually avoid it.

d.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dahammel @ Jan. 05 2003,10:49)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If nobody in the medical community is using a product for something, then I usually avoid it.

What about fish oil? Whey Protein?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]But for the average joe taking a multi, I can't imagine any further benefit.

Actually I would consider most multivits quite useless. If you are eating a 3000 cal diet or there abouts, you should be rounding out your various nutrients quite nicely.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Camelia @ Jan. 06 2003,5:52)]What about fish oil? Whey Protein?
Certain parts of the medical community will be using fishoils for certain purposes, especially after infarcts and the like

Whey protein, apart from certain immunological possibilities, for the general Joe blow it is useless.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Actually I would consider most multivits quite useless. If you are eating a 3000 cal diet or there abouts, you should be rounding out your various nutrients quite nicely.
A well balanced 2000kcal diet can provide the RDI and then some..

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Whey protein, apart from certain immunological possibilities, for the general Joe blow it is useless.

Uhh...well, whey protein is probably the most purchased supplement ever. Would you care to support that claim?

-Calkid

Aaron's probably right about whey protein. A friend of mine, who visited a whey factory, claims whey protein sold to BBers is a "damaged" product somehow (it must be taken with casein to be used correctly) and that this a huge scam perpetuated by the whole industry. I've heard that it jacks up insulin levels like bread, so most of it does get converted to glucose. Eh? (My friend scares me :) )

I just take it because it's convenient.
laugh.gif

cheers,
Jules

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Calkid @ Jan. 07 2003,8:09)]Uhh...well, whey protein is probably the most purchased supplement ever. Would you care to support that claim?
-Calkid
Just because it is best selling doesnt mean that normal people need it. Why do people need an expensive supplement to add to the already high intake of protein that they get in the first place. It offers nil advantage over meat or anything else, well apart from being oxidised off quickly because its absorbed so quickly (conversion to glucose is probably small, usually gets changed into AcetylCoA etc).
What use would the medical community have for it, basically nil. If they want a protein to increase lbm, casein is a better source, or preferably whole food. if they want quickly digested, they can get pure hydrolyzed proteins, or pure combined amino acids. Whey is pointless for most people.
The main postive possibilies for whey is post training, and in some cases (when its extracted correctly - and not ionexchange) there is immunological benifits available from it.

It does have a small insulinogenic profile as well, if thats of any advantage.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ Jan. 06 2003,10:02)]What use would the medical community have for it, basically nil.
I've heard of a number of doctors using whey protein in cases of people with wasting diseases (ie cancer, aids, etc) when the ability to hold down regular food is next to nill and none. That and the immunological benefits supposedly imparted from whey protein.

They shouldnt be using it for wasting based diseases, casein (or any whole food based protien like meat) would be the better option, this has been. Whey is in general oxidised off too quickly to be of any use.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]They shouldnt be using it for wasting based diseases, casein (or any whole food based protien like meat) would be the better option, this has been. Whey is in general oxidised off too quickly to be of any use.

A quick search of Medline reveals a lot of studies showing the use of Whey Protein as an adjutant to other cancer therapies ie increasing glutathiothe levels in healthy cells, assisting with catabolic wasting.

Then there was this extract I found on whey protein for Aids patients.

Whey proteins as a food supplement in HIV-seropositive individuals.

Bounous G, Baruchel S, Falutz J, Gold P.

I also have some (especially for burns patients) showing casien to be a better option. Sure increased protein intake from any source would be useful, but when comparing the two, casein is better.

Whey protein is better than no protein in wasting disease. But when comparing casein and whey in clinical conditions, casein is the better one due to maintaining plasma amino acid levels for a longer duration.

Back