Zone Diets

Discussion in 'Diet & Nutrition' started by Aaron_F, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Aaron_F

Aaron_F New Member

There are a couple of interesting papers released today in the latest issue of Journal of Nutrition

Article One

Article Two

I havent had much of a chance to read them yet, but it looks relatively interesting. They are both the same subjects, but looking at different areas of measurement.

2. Steve McDermott

Steve McDermott New Member

Nice studies, Thanks.

It seems that once higher protein diets are looke at more scientifically that they are showing some real benefits over higher carb diets.

3. Aaron_F

Aaron_F New Member

They are really dragging the bottom of tbe barrell in these paper to get a significant finding. Things like weight loss, they couldnt show any differnce in body weight, LBM or fat mass. or fat loss lbm loss/gain etc. So they divided g of fat lost with g of lean lost/gained and they got a signficant difference, and the main reason for this is the high carb group probably wasnt getting adequate protein.~0.9g/kg (0.4g/lb) on a relatively low calorie diet 1600kcal for 187lb people (from memory here, its early)

The interesting things were increase in satiety and energy on the higher protein diet, which is to be expected. There is some interestin things, like T4 being kept up on the higher protein etc, changes in post prandial glucose tolerance etc.

My department at University is comparing Zone with Atkins and an normal high carb diet, and in the preliminary trials the subjects all lost similar weight (small numbers cant show much of a difference) and all increased in insulin sensitivity with the weight loss.

4. Keebler Elf

Keebler Elf New Member

But insulin makes you fat :D
    The great thing about the Zone is that it gives the appetite suppression and the resulting steady blood sugar levels keep energy higher while eating very low cals but what of the selective research Seras uses to support 40/30/30 [​IMG] Some of it seems to support that higher prot/mod carbs for health.
    Take a look at some of these: (I'll just cut&paste cos u need to sign up at Sears' sight)

5. Aaron_F

Aaron_F New Member

Insulin maes you fat just like carrots are high GI :)

I will look at them later, as its 3am here and I cant sleep (dont wanna make it worse [​IMG] )