Question Regarding Pullups and HST

speedy5323

Just started the 15's the other day and realized I completely overestimated setting up my maxes for the pullups. I am able to do 15 with my body weight, so I figured that I would work up to that by doing weighted pullups starting with the 5 on the machine, then gradually getting to 0, which is body weight on my last days. However, I found out the hard way today on my second day of 15's that 15 of the 4's is actually nearly equivalant to body weight. This throws off my whole estimation of pullups throught my cycle, as I had body weight the max for 15, 10lbs additional weight the max for 10's and I believe 20 for my 5's. Any insight on how to set this up? Thanks.

I'm not sure I understand you exactly... So why don't you answer the following question for me.

If you were to do normal pull ups (without the assisted machine), could you perform 15 of them?

Yes, what I'm saying is that I can do 15 reg, without the machine, that is my 15 rep max. I was trying to figure out how to build up to this max in the 6 workouts prior to it. I figured that if I took the first five settings of the weighted pullup machine, it would be equivilant, however, I failed today at 15 on the 4 setting of the machine. My question is what is the proper way to work up to my 15 rep max of body weight.

I just do them at bodyweight until I can start incrementing heavier... I guess it's probably not optimal for hypertrophy, but I can get pretty heavy with them once I get into the fives, so I think it's okay.

Describe the machine to me. Setting 4 is comparable to your bodyweight you said. How many settings are there?

Speedy, I think the machine probably holds your body in a more rigid position than free-style pull ups which would lower your rep max. I am a big believer in strict form so, in your case, I would suggest that you reset your maxes for 15's and 10's using the machine and hold off on doing free-style pull ups until you max out on the machine. I am also assuming that the machine you are referring to is the one that you put your knees on or something similar to that.

The machine I'm referring to is a standard assisted pullup/dip machine where you place your knees on a platform. I believe it has weight settings from 15-1, with one supposodly being equal to unassisted.

That's the machine I thought it was. I think you will find that it holds you to such strict form with virtually no body sway that your rep maxes are lower than they would be doing free-style pull ups. Adjust accordingly and carry on.
thumbs-up.gif

Back