Rest-Pause with HST ?

Supero

Looks like negatives and drop sets can be used during the last weeks of an HST cycle. What about rest-pause ? Get 5 reps, then rest 10 to 15 secs (or breaths as with DC) then get a few more and repeat and try to get one last rep.

Any thoughts ?

Note: I've had a lot of success with rest-pause and getting ready to do my first HST.

From an HST pov, rest pauses will not improve the hypertrophy stimulus, since HST states that hypertrophy is promarily a matter of load.

Most likely doing rest-pauses will stress the CNS too much for the frequency that we try to maintain.

I think it would be interesting to see how well those would work during the negatives. If you try it out, let us know what happens.

Thanks. negatives wont be an option as I train alone but HST mentioned drop sets and during the final week(s) I'm wondering if rest-pause could replace this for added stress on slect compound movements. Would be interesting to know if any of the advanced HST'rs think or tried rest-puase.

Again thanks !

I know Dan (DKM) and Ron (Nw lifter) like rest pause in terms of failure training (i.e. if you're going to train to failure that is the best way).

Obviously HST isn't usually about going to failure but it might be a good way to finish off a cycle (last couple of weeks or something).

Incidentally I train alone but you can still do negatives for some exercises such as dips, chins, seated row, leg press, leg ext, leg curl, bicep curls, db extension...apart from the first 2 that would be using 2 limbs for the concentric and 1 limb for the negative.

Cheers

Rob

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Get 5 reps, then rest 10 to 15 secs (or breaths as with DC) then get a few more and repeat and try to get one last rep.

Isn't that just clustering with less rest time?

I think the difference is clustering is actually about doing multiple sets - it's just that the number of reps per set aren't pre-fixed.

Rest-pause is about extending a set, i.e. getting a few extra reps after failure.

Cheers

Rob

Back