Rep Range

the RK

Do I have to follow the rep range of 15, 10, 5? The 15s just seem like to many for me (I've never responded well to high reps). Could I do something like 12, 8, 4?

Yes, you can follow alternative rep ranges. Be aware that the 15s are mostly to prep the joints for later, heavier loads, so it might be worthing doing them still.

You don't actually have to stick to any rep range at all, the 15/10/5 set up is to make the cycle easier to set up. I do a different number of reps each session as I go to 1-2 reps short of failure - so my '10s' equivalent might be 15,12,10 and my '5s' eqivalent might be 8,6,5. I usually do a couple of reps less in my 2nd set and so on.

More important than the number of reps per set is probably the number of overall reps which brings you onto clustering...

Cheers

Rob

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]More important than the number of reps per set is probably the number of overall reps which brings you onto clustering...
I totally agree with Rob. The 15-10-5 rep ranges are there just to help us set up a cycle easier. Remember, HST is not a prescribed number of reps or sets, it's the principles. That being said, the purpose of the high reps is to fill your muscles up with lactic acid (as a preparation for later heavier loads). If you do not have any aches or pains at all during your cycle, you can probably skip the 15's. However, if you do want to prepare your joints for the heavy weights later, just keep on doing reps until you get that feeling of "burn" inside the muscle. This is what you are really after, not an arbitrary number of reps. Thinking outside of reps and sets helps you get closer to the core of HST, which is the principles.

Hope this helps a bit,
Dimitris

Back