Back to the basic

bodyguard

My last 5 cycles were a 6 day workout. I enjoyed the it very much but noticed that I got leaner. Looks good but now I wanna grow in size ;)
When doing a 6 day than you have to eat a lot, special the glycogen is an important issue. I have a high digestion so I burnt a lot.

So, I go back to the basics and that will be a 3 day workout. Next week, I will start with my 21 cycle.
tounge.gif

Who went more back from 6 to 3 days workout?
:)

i've gone for 6 to 4. But even on the off days I still do a lil burn set here and there. After i figured out that I could handle 6x a week... its hard going back and not feeling bored
dozingoff.gif

pzhang

Bodyguard,
I'm sad to see you lost weight doing 6 day per week cycles as I just recently started a short, 5 day a week cycle to finish before I go back to school on the 27th.
I started the cycle in the middle of the 10's so I will be sure to complete it and depending on my results, I will do a 5 day, full body workout each week when I return to school. I perform 2, sometimes 3 sets per bodypart per workout and I have definitely had no trouble with overtraining or CNS fatigue.
I would imagine it is quite possible to make fantastic gains working out 5 days per week (hits muscle 5 times) as it is actually less volume than a 3 day per week AM/PM split (hits muscle 6 times). Working out 5 consecutive days per week also ensures one will gain the "summation" effect as the anabolic effects of training last up to 36 hours, so you would in fact be training while the body is already anabolic.
Even with this logic, I feel I should ask, has anyone had success in bulking while working out 5 days per week?

I had success but it was not as good as when I worked out only 3-4 times a week. This was merely because I have a very fast metabolism and simply could not get enough food with 5-6 times a week. If you can eat enough, you should make impressive gains.

Maybe its the fact that I have been in HST since 2002 and doing 3 time a week will be enough for me. We have to try it out.

I met also natural bodybuilder, who is against drugs and promote the natural bodybuilding in Holland. He has done also HST btw. Over the years (maybe 15 years) he got good progressive and has got now 50 cm arms. He told me also that 5 or 6 time a week is to much for a natural body special when you have a fast metabolism.

I think some people have mentioned that it's less taxing because you have a full 24 hours between workouts for CNS recovery.
I think its less taxing personally, but now im doing 2x a day every other day plus burn sets on off days. So I'm taxed to the max =).

pzhang

I actually felt more energized doing 5-6 times a week than doing 3 times a week. The only difference was that I was always hungry doing 5-6 times a week.

I have been a member for a while so pardon me for such a dumb question, but how do you guys set up your 5 day routine? I am still a little confused on that? Does that mean you are doing typical HST full body mon-friday? If so I would then the day of rest inbetween workouts is beneficial and on 5 day workout you are not resting so how does this work? Thanks

I'm sure everyone has their own method for doing a higher frequency HST routine, but here's at least what I do. MWF I'll do a regular full body workout. Tuesday and Thursday I drop all my isolation moves (except for calves because I need them to grow--I have natural chicken legs).

I know some here believe isolations except at the late 5's are fairly worthless, but I'm not sold and I won't let them go. But my logic there should be discussed in another thread.

In a 5 day a week routine it is convenient to repeat weights for two days.

[/QUOTE]If so I would then the day of rest inbetween workouts is beneficial and on 5 day workout you are not resting so how does this work? Thanks
The principle reason we use rest days in an HST routine is not to give the muscle tissue rest but rather our CNS. Since for most of HST one is not performing at their rep max, CNS fatigue is less of a problem. The key for a 5 day per week workout is to figure out your limits--if you can do two or three sets 5 days a week without any symptoms of overtraining, you should do it. Adjust volume accordingly!

The weekend is off and allows your joints and CNS to rest nicely. Good luck.

Joe, how ya doing?

Some have used Mon thru Fri full body, some go 2 on, 1 off, 2 on, 2 off or any combination.

It all depends on your schedule and what is available to you.

Hey Joe, regarding how the routine is setup, what I did was increment every other workout, or in some cases every third workout. I kept each rep range at two weeks in length, however, so there were about 10-12 workouts per rep range. It works out pretty well.
I would not normally recommend higher frequency when trying to bulk. I actually think that next time I bulk, I'm going to start in the 10s, using my 15 RM for my starting weight, do 3 times a week, incrementing every other workout, and using larger increments. I'm considering 2-3 weeks for the 10s, and possible 6-8 weeks for the 5s and negatives, possibly longer if I can keep going.

However... if you are going to do a slow bulk like you were talking about, you may want to give higher frequency a shot. Eat at maintenance or slightly above and do 4-5 times a week. I think that would work well for you, though the progress would be pretty slow. You'll probably get more ripped though.

Thanks guys for making it clear!

DKM I am doing well. I am at the last week of my cutting cycle. I have gone from 190 down to 179 now...and a lot better defined with some some muscle loss but not to much.

I think I am going to use the 5 day routine for cutting in the future and I am starting after my next SD a all compound HST routine. I am going to expierement with that a little. I am hoping that for winter months I go with all compound HST 3 days a week and come summer when I want to be leaner I will go with the 5 day routine. I like the 5 day routine concept just with career and family ( I have a baby on the way 1st time ever!!!) it hard to keep it up year round...plus the extra calories! Well thanks again guys for the response I will let you know how my compound routine workouts out. I need upper body work some I am thinking of routine just being incline bench, dips, lat pull, rows and some shoulder presses...so we will see how that goes.

P.S. this is off topic but is it okay to mix your protein shake in a blender and refrigerate for say 3 days ahead of schedule for convience...just wondering if the protein stays good??

Thanks again guys!

Joe
worship.gif

Back