best way to do superset and 5s?

Yeah I know that at the last set of each exercise of the 5s you should lower the weight by 10-15 percent and do 19 or 20 reps for superset. However, when you do 5s with minimum weight, is there really a need to lower weigths? I mean i am sure I can continue to do 19-20 reps, beause I am using minmum weights. Or should I lower weights by less like say 5 percent?

I wouldn't think you should be able to do 15-20 reps with your first increment in the 5s, since it should be pretty close to your 10 RM. Anyway, I usually just use my 15 RM for metabolic work and pump out however many reps it takes to get a burn. That's all you are really after is the burn.

I've never heard of lowering the weight and doing 20 reps after the last set of 5s before. Is this something that has just started in the forum or is a part of HST? If it is a part of HST where does Bryan suggest to do that? (just curious so I can read it)

Joe G

I read about it a lot on the forum. You may really need it after a few cycles, I did.

Toten is right, there's no way you should be able to do 15-20 reps with the weights in the 5's (unless you're using 30+ pound increments). That would be an insane amount of zig-zagging. I always start the 5's at least 5 pounds heavier than my 10RM from the previous Friday.

Joe, it isn't "officially" part of HST, but it's a good idea to do this during the 5s and most especially during the negatives. You can read a lot about it in the Customizing HST thread, which is in the General Training board.

Basically the idea is that during the 5s, you aren't getting as much of a burn during your workouts i.e. not as much metabolic work. So if you bust out a few sets of 15-20 reps after your workout, that will get your metabolism going, which will help your muscles get the nutrients they need.
From what I have read, you don't actually need to do this. You will still gain muscle, but doing this can help the quality of muscle you gain. I've found that it is a tremendous help to me, especially during the post-5s.

so what youre saying is on the last reps of each exercise, do 15-20 reps instead of the 5? im a noob, and all these customizing thing is confusing me.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chickenmonkey05 @ Sep. 09 2005,2:57)]so what youre saying is on the last reps of each exercise, do 15-20 reps instead of the 5? im a noob, and all these customizing thing is confusing me.
This is what I do, Im still new to the HST so if I'm wrong someone please tell me, but lets say Im doing bb curl with a 5 rm of 100 lbs. this is what I do

100 lbs - 5 reps
rest 1 min.
100 lbs - 5reps
as soon as I pump out the 5 reps I strip 20 lbs off the bar and go to failure (10-13) reps.
as soon as I finish those, I strip another 20 lbs off the bar and go to failure. usually around 5-7.

after this, I move onto the next exercise, say triceps and repeat the process.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (xxfunguy007xx2000 @ Aug. 19 2005,7:59)]Yeah I know that at the last set of each exercise of the 5s you should lower the weight by 10-15 percent and do 19 or 20 reps for superset. However, when you do  5s with minimum weight, is there really a need to lower weigths? I mean i am sure I can continue to do 19-20 reps, beause I am using minmum weights. Or should I lower weights by less like say 5 percent?
thats not a superset thats a metabolic set...a superset is when you go from say bench to chins with no rest inbetween
you dont do metabolic sets or drop sets untill you are in the 3rd week of the 5s..if your not doing negs

Yes "burn sets" are recomended by Bryan, Vicious et al. for your 5s and post 5s. but you don't need to do them after each excersise --just for each muscle group. So say for chest do a heavy set of 5s on incline, then a heavy set of 5s on dips Then do a burn set. This gives you metaboic stress that you got automatically in the 15s and 10s but with the lower reps of going heavy you aren't getting it -- so you need to suplement it.

Cheers, bob

Back