1) Deadlift VS. 5) Bench Press

I am not sure what I should consider to make a decision here, if it is really an exercise I enjoy doing, if it is an exercise I think gives the most bang for the buck, or if it works the muscles I want to focus on...
But, alas, since I am afraid of the bench press
biggrin.gif
, I'll go with the Deadlift.

deadlift - I "enjoy" their brutality.

Deads with 400+ on the bar is more fun than Bench with 270+ on the bar - but it's quite close in my opinion.

<div>
(_tim @ Apr. 28 2008,2:14)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Deads with 400+ on the bar is more fun than Bench with 270+ on the bar - but it's quite close in my opinion.</div>
I agree. Both exercises are extremely useful in general fitness as well as function for sports and other activities. It'll be interesting to see who wins this one. I'll stop voting by the end of next week.

<div>
(TunnelRat @ Apr. 29 2008,10:19)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">This is an easy one: Deadlifts -- big time!</div>
TR, you and four others seem to agree!

I like bench better, as it allows you to move a lot of weight AND works the &quot;beach&quot; muscles ;)

I may as well spark some conversation while this voting process continues...

Form
My DL form has been an issue since I began the lift two years ago. I started out with an SLDL form that became slightly Romanian, but my butt was still not out as much. In the past four months, I have changed my technique as per Rippletoe's suggestions of form in his book, Starting Strength. I believe I have over compensated my bad form of yesteryear to the point where my butt is pushed out too much (angle between my thighs and calves is too acute) and my knees are bent too much (angle between floor and calves is too acute).

Best way to show my current form (that needs to change) is by this elementary drawing...

DDDDD
DDDDD
DDDDD
DDDDD
DDDDD
LLLL
LLLL
LLLL
LLLL
LLLL
LLLL
LLLL
LLLL
LLLL
FOOTFOOT

<div>
(cookieftm @ May 06 2008,11:18)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The gym I use has no faciltys to perform a deadlift</div>
All you need is a bar and some plates?

If you are talking about a Barbell bench press then you are all set for the deadlift. Just put that BB on the floor, rack the plates and it's a go.

<div>
(Minime @ May 06 2008,12:03)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(cookieftm @ May 06 2008,11:18)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The gym I use has no faciltys to perform a deadlift</div>
All you need is a bar and some plates?</div>
Closest thing to that would be the smiths, but from what i've heard it wudnt be wise to use that for deads, or am i wrong?

I go to a new fancy 'fitness suite', nothing else I could use for about 10 miles.

There are a few of us moaning on at the guys that run it to get a bar bell, but i seriously doubt anything will come of it as the gym is ran by the local council and there'd be to much 'red tape' and 'health and safety' risks for them to do it. (I do live in the UK afterall!!!)

<div>
(cookieftm @ May 06 2008,4:08)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Closest thing to that would be the smiths, but from what i've heard it wudnt be wise to use that for deads, or am i wrong?</div>
I use the Shirley Machine for my standing calf raises (it helps to keep me from falling over when I'm balancing on my toes on a block of wood). On lazy days, I'll then just add a coupla plates to the bar and do some Power Shrugs. Other than that, I don't trust the Machine with any exercise, especially not squats or deads.

Back