5rm + and old injury

Jazzer

Hi all,
a few years back I broke my left arm at the elbow and its making doing anything past the 5's pretty difficult. Its not really a muscle pain but I think it is from connective tissue moving over a now uneven or unsmooth surface around the elbow area.
I'm not sure wether to call it a day and SD when I get this pain or to try and take extra days off and carry on. I'm also curious if there may be an effective alternative like maybe partial reps that may not aggravate my arm.
Cheers,
Jazzer :)

Jazzer I feel your pain literally. I to tore my bicep tendon were it ties into the shoulder joint about 4 years ago lifting very heavy and stupidly on bench press. I overtrained after the injury and never got my strength back due to overtraining is my guess, until i started HST.

The good news my injury feels better since starting hst and strength is way better but like you when i start getting a lot heavier with the weights the joint and ligaments seem to get a little sore.

What I try to do is judge the soreness. I feel an old injury is going to always be a little agravated so I go ahead and lift if its just a slight soreness but if it starts to get bad...I always SD. And the SD has always taken care of the soreness or pain. I due sd for 2 weeks normally with the injuried area.

I have only expierenced this when I get to the heavy 5's.

The way I see it is stay precautioned and SD before you get hurt. I rather lift moderate weight the rest of my life then get another injury by lifting to heavy!

Regards Joe.

PAIN and BLEEDING - you've gotta deal with both seriously.

Don't ignore pain, that is your body telling you of it's misery.

------------

Have you tried using dumbbells for exercises? Dumbbells are great for doing work-around exercises with old injuries.

Get on the web and look for exercises, do some good research and you will probably find some good exercise/s that will allow you to exercise respective muscles without pain.

Barbells are tough on joints. You have to hold a good grip on the bar especially if you're working with any kind of load. This gripping often can force your joints into semi-unnatural positions, which aggravate old injuries.

Dumbbells take getting use to, but they're great for all around bodybuilding work. Flexibility of movement and balance are just a couple of their benefits.

thumbs-up.gif

Thanks guys,
I guess I'll just have to work round it. I was thinking about asking if they could break it again and set it properly but that is probably a bit of a gamble.
It is made worse by pressing movements so maybe I'll try a cycle with upright rows and DB flyes instead of my beloved presses.
sad.gif

Also all work is BB at the moment so Dbs is definately worth trying too.
Thanks for your responses.
Jazzer :)

Back