A few questions about my pre/post WO shakes.

s7e

Well, I used to just take my whey and creatine (cell-tech) after workout. Lately I have been taking about 2 cups of milk, 40G whey protein, 3G creatine, and about 1/4 cup dextrose.
I have a few questions since I have been reading more.

There has been a debate on taking creatine pre/post workout. I only want to take it once without dividing it up, which would be the best time?

As far as my dextrose, I have read that 1/3 cup is about 75Gs....Is that correct? Is that a good amout to take for bulking? Only take it post workout, correct?

I want to start taking something for pre workout that will give me a little more energy through my workout. I was thinking something along the lines of maybe a coke or something. If I were to drink maybe a 20oz coke beofore workout (3 times per week) would this be ok? Give me some options/opinions. I have only been drinking water/milk for the last few months, maybe a cup of juice once a week or so, and sneaking a coke in about once per month.

Basically could somebody just give me a straight out answer for a good mix on pre/post workout shakes,

dont take any carbs pre-workout. Insulin interferes with andrenalin production, which means less power. Carbs may give you a feeling that youre strong etc, but its actually quite the contrary. Some suggest not eating for 3-4hrs pre workout, because then fats can be used more effectively and adrenalin and noradrenalin production works better. There was a thread i wrote some info from an article/website to here

i know, its very different from the popular beliefs, but i think it makes more sense

I do what Nike suggests. My workouts tend to be better (much more energy, no nausea) when I avoid small or large pre-workout meals/shakes. I try to avoid eating food at least 2 hours before a workout and usually eat most of my carbs right after.

It sounds like a recipe for disaster, but I've consisently have had better workouts this way.

cheers,
Jules

I thought we were supposed to have a protein shake before working out?
I always thought pro + carbs were best postworkout, compared to protein or carbs alone?
What are anyone's thoughts on consuming BCAAs prior to or during training, such as Glutacene?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I thought we were supposed to have a protein shake before working out?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

That's the general idea -- I just eat a big protein meal a few hours before my workout.

I generally agree with Bryan's article. The idea is to have a &quot;high&quot; blood glucose level with elevated glucogen levels going into your workout. (This isn't easy to pull off without *some* pre-workout carbs.)

However, I agree with Nike too. Insulin interferes with adrenaline production, and though adrenaline increases cortisol levels, that cortisol can be dampened by sufficient glucagon levels from pre-workout protein. Only carbs with high GI can be digested quickly enough to be used in the bloodstream for a pre-workout situation. But, high GI = raised insulin levels.

That all said, whatever works best for you is the best answer. Just eat. :)

cheers,
Jules

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">There has been a debate on taking creatine pre/post workout. I only want to take it once without dividing it up, which would be the best time?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

There isn't a debate about the best time to take creatine. It is best to take it before you train. Now this doesn't mean that everybody will do this. They will still go on taking it whenever they want to.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">As far as my dextrose, I have read that 1/3 cup is about 75Gs....Is that correct? Is that a good amout to take for bulking? Only take it post workout, correct?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

&quot;bulking&quot; is about total calories. If you are eating enough to actually gain weight, you will never be running low on glycogen stores. 75 grams is &quot;enough&quot; if you have just ran for 2 hours or so. Most people don't deplete there glycogen stores while training, unless they are on a very low carbohydrate diet for a few days before hand.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I want to start taking something for pre workout that will give me a little more energy through my workout. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

If you need a stimulant just take a no-doze or generic brand caffeine pill. If you do not usually use caffeine, 50mg taken &quot;as you begin working out&quot; should be enough to keep you interested in your workout.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">could somebody just give me a straight out answer for a good mix on pre/post workout shakes [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

If you need energy, carbohydrates will NOT give them to you unless you are eating less than 50 grams carbs per day. You must be whole body carb depleted before carbs will give you any noticable stimulant/mental focus effect.

In most cases, a big dose of high GI carbs will actually make you unmotivated and a bit sleepy.

For energy use caffeine.

For bulking use 16 x bodyweight for calories = 1 gram protein per pound, 4-6 grams essential fatty acids, the rest carbs.

Pre-workout you should take a protein drink if you want to optimize the anabolic effect of training. This is the whole reason I formulated Primer. Whether you take carbs with it or not is up to you. Its not necessary to take anymore than 20-30 grams of sugary carbs before you train with your protein drink. Afterwards take some more carbs with your protein. The amount depends on how long you train. Once again, the whole purpose of creating HSN was to make the most of HST. So, take your protein before and after. Carbs are all about whether you are trying to gain weight or lose weight. So its about calories...

Thanks for the great information.

What is a good amount of dextrose to take after workout? I have heard people taking ~75G, is that too high of a number? I have only been taking it 3 times per week (post workout) and I am doing the basic HST.

Also, my question about a soda/pop say a coke for example. Would this be a good idea to take for pre workout, just to give me some caffeine for energy during my workout. I have tried caffenie pills, but they give me the jitters pretty bad, even when i take half the given dosage. I never drink cokes, I had my first one in about 2 months the other day. I figured if it was pretty good as far as energy, would it be okay to drink one 3 times per week, for pre-workout?

Thanks for the help once again.

s7e-- I was wondering the same thing. I am about 80kg (176 lbs) right now and have been taking 1g/kg of carbs (half dextrose, half maltodextrin). I am still bulking and wondering if this is enough or maybe even too much.
Bryan-- you wrote 1g of protein per lb bodyweight and 4-6g of EFA? that would be 176g of protein and about 880g of fat for me. :) what would the correct amount of fat have to be when bulking? Thanks
thumbs-up.gif

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (iarumas @ Sep. 14 2002,7:42)]Bryan-- you wrote 1g of protein per lb bodyweight and 4-6g of EFA? that would be 176g of protein and about 880g of fat for me. :)
<span =''>
He means a total of 4-6 grams of EFA not 4-6g per pound of body weight.

Back