A Health Sc. teacher told me that Grape juice....

VIPER

....Doesn't really allow the body to absorb macronutrients very well. For example if you had a meal with grape juice it may hinder the absorption of other nutrients in the meal.

This doesn't make to much sense to me, and I've never heard anything like this before. I checked around on the net and found nothing backing this up. Anyone know anyhting similar to this?

you don't want to make a habit of trying to back up things that health teachers say. It's often a wild goose hunt.

You need to ask your teacher to provide some evidence (i.e. references) for her comment. I don't mean that you should be a jerk about it or anything, just that you are curious and would like to understand the mechanism.
thumbs-up.gif

Gimme the paper, haha. Yeah I'll definitely be respectful. She's really nice and I love that class. I'll have to ask and see.

I've read that pineapple, uncooked (and pref. chewed properly :p) will release a particular enzyme (or set of), a peptidase that starts breaking down proteins in the stomach.

Ok, I should have put a disclaimer on this first; I don't put an awful lot of faith in this claim.

But I just read it in the newspaper health&lifestyle section. Hardly the most credible source obviously, but on the other hand I wouldn't be surprised if it was true. I find that eating pineapple, apple or citrus fruits after a heavy meal 'lightens' the load in your gut.

Not very scientific at all
tounge.gif

I checked quickly pubmed.com and found some articles about using additional peptidases in your digestion. Maybe scientific after all ;)

The most commonly used proteolytic enzymes (digest proteins) for supplementation are papain and bromelain. Bromelain from pineapples, papain from papayas

Back