a little question from a little guy

• Thread starter imported_foreverfun
  • Start date
I

imported_foreverfun

Hello,
a little help please.
I'm in my second cycle. I've been eating the "right" amount of calories and protein. Working out regularly. I cut my cardio on off days bc I didn't seem to be gaining much mass.
Maybe it's my workout.

This is what I do:
Bench Press (I wanted to add inclines, but they aggrevate my shoulder)
Arnold Press
Wide Grip Pull Ups/Cable Rows
Leg Press
Leg Curls
Hammer Curls/Preacher Curls
Variety of Tri workouts
Ab stuff.......

How does that sound? I'm aiming to add Deadlifts as soon as I feel comfortable with my form......

Thanks in advance.....

looks a good beginner program to me.

put deads in now,dont wait,just start off light to make sure you got them down.

Agree with Icars. You could also add in dips (wider than shoulder width grip) for chest and tris. Alternate wide grip pulldowns with underhand grip chins for lats and bis. Then you can drop the arm isos (if not entirely then down to only a single set). Alternate between leg press and squat. Drop leg curls and do deads.

If you think you are eating enough calories but you aren't gaining then you aren't eating enough calories! Eat an extra couple of eggs and a pint of milk each day for a week and see how you get on (2 large boiled aggs and a pint of whole milk is around 450 cals).

Yeah!  How do you know you are eating the 'right' amount of calories?  The only way to know is if you are steadily gaining weight.  If not, you are not eating enough...period.  Eat MORE and you will grow, if not you will never grow no matter how you train.
smile.gif

You have an eating problem, not a training problem!
biggrin.gif

Yeah, you're not eating enough and your routine is off. Listen to lcars, start deadlifting and alternate with full ROM squats, drop the leg press & leg curls. Do old reliable: A&B workouts MWF 3x a week:

A: squats, bench, pendlay rows, standing OH press
B: deadlifts (conventional), dips, chins, standing OH press

You should also do power cleans, maybe alternate with rows. When you max (5RM) with OH presses, then next workout just keep adding weight and do push presses. If you add 50-100 pounds to these 7-8 lifts in a year you'll be much bigger, unless of course you are not eating enough.

Keep a daily journal of calories.

Thanks for all the advice.
I'll have to get with a trainer to work on my form for the deads.
I do leg presses bc squats tend to aggrevate my knees while presses don't.
About eating
I'm 160lbs and I eat 3200 cals a day. I have been gaining most noticable fat, I eat as clean as possible but sometimes I through in some crap just to get the calories in.
Thanks for all the advice

I would bet that if squats are hurting your knees you are doing half squats and not full ROM olympic squats. When I was doing parallel squats my knees ached from the 10's straight through to SD. Since I started squatting correctly my knees never get sore. And I do some kind of squat 5-6 days a week.

you may be right.

you do squats 5-6 days a week?

are you doing hst? or rather, how do you work out 5-6 days a week if you are doing hst?

sorry i'm a noob.

Liege will correct me if I'm wrong but I think he does HST based training three times a week and Oly lifting on the other three?

There is nothing to stop you from applying HST principles to 10/12 x weekly training if you so desire (ie. twice a day, 5/6 days a week). Some have experimented with doing this and keeping volume to a minimum each session. Over the period of a week they might not do a whole lot more volume than a three day a weeker.

I think the consensus of opinion would be that for most folks with a life outside of the gym this is impractical as when not training, the rest of the time you would be eating! Also, over a three-times-a-week frequency and it's a case of diminishing returns even if you get all your eating and rest sorted. I'd still like to try it for a month if I had the time though, just to see.
biggrin.gif

in my uneducated opinion...you might wanna pick one tri exercise or two to alternate per workout and go from there....

your actually getting a variety of tri exercises, doing other exercises...
biggrin.gif

Good luck

Ditto to Scientific.

Eating is the biggest part...I struggle with this as well.

I think we all do that have a life outside of the gym!

<div>
(foreverfun @ Nov. 07 2006,00:08)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">you may be right.

are you doing hst? or rather, how do you work out 5-6 days a week if you are doing hst?

sorry i'm a noob.</div>
LOL is right, 3x a week MWF I do HST and the other days, except Sun I do olympic lifting, so there is some type of squat every day. I only back squat Mon &amp; Fri though, the other days the loads are much less, especially with OH squats. I do keep volume very low because of the frequency. HST is usually 3x5 and maybe some triples and olympic lifting is 3-4x3.

<div>
(liegelord @ Nov. 07 2006,23:29)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(foreverfun @ Nov. 07 2006,00:08)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">you may be right.

sorry i'm a noob.</div>
LOL is right, 3x a week MWF I do HST and the other days, except Sun I do olympic lifting, so there is some type of squat every day. I only back squat Mon &amp; Fri though, the other days the loads are much less, especially with OH squats.  I do keep volume very low because of the frequency.  HST is usually 3x5 and maybe some triples and olympic lifting is 3-4x3.</div>
i'm eating. for sure.
i mean i'm gaining fat mass. so i must be eating enough right?
I suppose i'm gaining muscle mass too, it's always hard for me to judge, i am getting some &quot;you are looking bigger&quot; type of comments.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">i'm eating. for sure.
i mean i'm gaining fat mass. so i must be eating enough right?
I suppose i'm gaining muscle mass too, it's always hard for me to judge, i am getting some &quot;you are looking bigger&quot; type of comments.</div>

Sounds like you are doing just fine.

If your worried about results then start measuring them, take your body measurements (shoulders, chest, waist, legs, arms, calves), your scale weight, and your bodyfat percentage if you can get some calipers. Then monitor from week to week, you want your shoulders, chest, arms and legs to be getting bigger, and preferably your waist staying the same/minimum gain.

That way you will know exactly how much you have/haven't gained, and can make an educated decision about your diet.

<div>
(liegelord @ Nov. 05 2006,17:33)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Yeah, you're not eating enough and your routine is off.  Listen to lcars, start deadlifting and alternate with full ROM squats, drop the leg press &amp; leg curls.  Do old reliable: A&amp;B workouts MWF 3x a week:

A: squats, bench, pendlay rows, standing OH press
B: deadlifts (conventional), dips, chins, standing OH press

You should also do power cleans, maybe alternate with rows.  When you max (5RM) with OH presses, then next workout just keep adding weight and do push presses.  If you add 50-100 pounds to these 7-8 lifts in a year you'll be much bigger, unless of course you are not eating enough.

Keep a daily journal of calories.</div>
are you saying alternating A and B? so monday is A weds is B, Friday is A?

Back