A must have for your library and a few interesting

• Thread starter imported_drpierredebs
  • Start date
I

imported_drpierredebs

Those so inclined should have this book:
http://www.exrx.net/Store/HK/TextbookWorkPhysiology.html

Two interesting ( amongst thousands) from this book and a topic much discussed here on this forum:

1. Cortisol levels are highest in the morning
2. The data doesn´t show any obvious casual relationship between genotype and response to weight training.

read and discuss

Way ta go, Fazman! I had to save that one to my files...and start taking vitamin 'C' again! And once again, another bonus to gingko biloba...that I just started taking also!

Hey Quad are you finding your concentration levels are higher while on the gingko?

And how can I put this...do you feel any smarter? (not to say you're not smart now
biggrin.gif
)

I can´t remember if I took Gingko
wow.gif

I think gingko will have more of an effect on cortisol then it will on memory as I DO remember reading
several articles that gingkos effect on memory is minimal at best.

Drink a liter of OJ a day and forget taking pills.

<div>
(Peak_Power @ Nov. 16 2006,20:26)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Hey Quad are you finding your concentration levels are higher while on the gingko?

And how can I put this...do you feel any smarter? (not to say you're not smart now  
biggrin.gif
)</div>
I can't say. I just started; had to get permission from my doctor, since I'm on a pacer and have a history of heart problems. (until recently, since the ablation procedure).

My wife says I'm allready a smart@ss.

<div>
(drpierredebs @ Nov. 17 2006,08:23)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I can´t remember if I took Gingko
wow.gif

I think gingko will have more of an effect on cortisol then it will on memory as I DO remember reading
several articles that gingkos effect on memory is minimal at best.

Drink a liter of OJ a day and forget taking pills.</div>
even better forget the oj and eat oranges for satiety and fibre.

Here's a good article on a recent study showing that drinking several cups of tea a day lowers cortisol.

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/media/library/tea

They did a study between 37 men that drank 4 cups/day and 38 that drank placebo. They did some stress tests and 50 minutes after the tests the tea drinkers' cortisol levels dropped on average 47% vs 27% for the placebo group.

Guess I can drink some more tea now
biggrin.gif

Wow; as an ex-coffee drinker who's gotten used to tea (green), I may have to switch to the black tea. I never saw any real results from the green anyway. Thanx for the link.

I can´t imagine life without coffee-I don´t even drink that much-maybe 100ml italian coffee per day.

being british i like my cuppa tea,and they do reckon that when the industrial revolution came about in cities like manchester and liverpool thats what stoped us getting desease and plagues.
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

Here's a good article on a recent study showing that drinking several cups of tea a day lowers cortisol.

''http://www.ucl.ac.uk/media/library/tea

They did a study between 37 men that drank 4 cups/day and 38 that drank placebo. They did some stress tests and 50 minutes after the tests the tea drinkers' cortisol levels dropped on average 47% vs 27% for the placebo group.

Guess I can drink some more tea now''

Not necessarily. While drinking tea would lower cortisol among tea drinkers, their resting cortisol would be higher most of the time. Just like if you took a drug addicts cortisol levels 20 mins after they got high they're cortisol levels would be lower, but their cortisol levels are generally higher.

<div>
(faz @ Nov. 16 2006,11:14)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">here is some good info on cortisol
http://www.hypertrophy-specific.info/iB_html....own.doc</div>
Just read this from that document:

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">L-Glutamine: This is the most abundant free amino acid in muscle tissue. (12) It seems to play a very important role in protein synthesis and is very important to weight-training athletes. Some research suggests that glutamine levels may be a good indicator of over training or overreaching. (12) In other words, athletes who were over trained generally had low levels of glutamine along with high levels of cortisol.

One study actually showed that glutamine directly prevents the cortisol-induced degradation of muscle contractile proteins.(13) Some of its positive effects include enhancing protein synthesis; increasing GH levels, which can counteract some of the catabolic effects of cortisol; potent cell-volumizing effects, which can create an anabolic environment in muscle cells; and partially determining the rate of protein turnover in the muscle. An oral glutamine supplement can help athletes prevent some of the symptoms of over training. It may also enhance glycogen synthesis through an unknown mechanism. It also helps provide a source of fuel for the small intestine and may enhance anti-inflammatory function. It has been shown to boost immune function. I hope you get the point -Glutamine is a vital nutrient for weight-training athletes.</div>

Isnt most of this the complete opposite to what brian claims it can do in the faq? Anyone seen good results from supplementing with glutamine?

i have just bought some usn protein it has ten grams of glutamine in every shake not had enough time to give results yet but it seems to be giving me a bit more energy in the gym.

Back