a  Forget getting big arms

Bob Evans

I hope that Topic Title will generate some interest.

I took my kid to Disney last month.

At the hotel pool there was this guy with mind blowing body. One I had never seen before, not even in Mags.

He was 5'9 and had a super lean ripped musular body. His arms were all of 15 inches but he was so lean they looked great. Definatly muscle, and vascular. But not huge. He was lean muscle all over, great abbs.

But then he had this huge chest hanging off him HUGE.
And he had a tiny ripped waist so it even looked bigger than it was (he is 27)

He struck up a conversation (you know how that happens lifters like talking to lifters)

I asked him "How the hell did you get that build?"

He said "well I am a hard core biker, long distance bicycling. And I compeate in bench press power lifting. (His one rep max is 400.. I would guess he is all of 170lbs)

That explained it. But It got me to thinking how cutting, and all round training works. And that I should stop worring about my arm size. And work a bit more on cutting

Just a thought

Bob

bodybuilding is all about ilusions if you cut the fat,tan,get in good lighting,and stand a certain way you look bigger.
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

I suppose if he was doing heavy power traing for chest that could build the rest of him a bit and the cycling would keep him lean. I'd bet he would look a bit weird stood next to a reasonably sized bodybuilder though. He dosen't sound very symmetrical.
J
smile.gif

No, you guys are missing the boat, power lifting can get one hoooge gains, anyone who tried 5x5 or similar should know that.

I am starting to believe in this more and more, the more one can lift off the ground and some other important lifts the better one is going to look! IMHO.
cool.gif

<div>
(Fausto @ Aug. 10 2006,07:19)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">No, you guys are missing the boat, power lifting can get one hoooge gains, anyone who tried 5x5 or similar should know that.

I am starting to believe in this more and more, the more one can lift off the ground and some other important lifts the better one is going to look! IMHO.
cool.gif
</div>
Absolutely! Just imagine what Benedikt Magnusson or Andy Bolton would look like if they were cut!

<div>
(Lol @ Aug. 10 2006,19:51)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"></div>
I've never heard of anyone doing that mix, that's pretty wild. Powerlifting is just awesome for gains. Problem is, it can be hard on the joints and you have to do more cardio than usual or the fat comes up on you pretty fast(at least with programs like Westside). For that biker, cardio definitely wasn't a problem. I've never heard of anyone doing that mix, that's pretty wild.

Many powerlifting routines are very similiar to HST in the respect that they operate on a progressive load principle.

Fat doesnt magically appear on powerlifting programs,

powerlifters just generally eat more

eat more, get fat

<div>
(Aaron_F @ Aug. 11 2006,06:02)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Fat doesnt magically appear on powerlifting programs,

powerlifters just generally eat more

eat more, get fat</div>
Yeah, but it does show up if you are burning less calories doing a workout than your body is accustomed to burning. Many bbers experience that when going from a higher volume routine to a low volume routine like Westside. So, you have to adjust and eat less.

So what you are actually saying is that if you DO LESS and EAT THE SAME you gain fat.

Not that powerlifting programs cause &quot;the fat comes up on you pretty fast&quot;

Bob I hear what you mean. You're saying different proportions apart from the normal look great as well, right?

I'd agree with that, but personally I'm not big on that guys proportions I'd prefer a more classical look with a broader core (still ripped) and built shoulders and arms without too big a chest

(as a matter a fact I only do inclined bench for pecs)

Sandow is amazing.

All natural and the guy was strong as hell!!! If he lived in modern times, I am sure he would be a champion power-lifter or some other strength sport.
cool.gif

everyone has different physique goals...I am also trying to cut and get more definition right now, but I don't agree with the arm size thing...I have good genetics in my arms (long muscle bellies on biceps, triceps, etc.) and I think big arms are awesome, mine are only 15&quot; right now, but I would like 17&quot;. I remember reading in 'cosmo' or some other chick magazine a poll about which bodypart was sexiest on a guy.... ARMS won hands down, I think chest and butt were runners up. This surprised me, as I thought big arms were more for intimidating other guys, rather than for attracting ladies.

Anyway, just my opinion, like I said everyone has different physique goals, and everyone has different ideas about their 'ideal' physique.

My ideal physique would be something between schwarzenegger and zane....arnie with his incredible proportions, and zane with his perfect symmetry and definition that made him look like he was chiseled out of stone.

i am not sure what i was trying to say in starting this thread... other than there are more than one kind of great builds.

this guy was 5-9 (my guess is he was all of 160lb) and he benched 400. BIG CHEST. But the lean muscle rest of him looked great.

I guss I think I should stop worring about my arms. .. and cut more... and I realize there are many different great builds.

He is 27 funny how &quot;muscle guys&quot; or weight lifters will talk to each other ...me in my late 40s ... he sought me out and we talked shop.

I love the comardarry of the muscle subculture.

ok off to biking.

Bob

Sandow and his amigos were amazing due to the fact that they didn't have the dietary science we have now, or all the techniques, yet built themselves thru dedication and consistency, IMHO.
I saw a poll somewhere of women like that and the winner for attractiveness to them in that one was &quot;big shoulders&quot;. Second was arms and third was chest. (they like chest too? Wow...)
wow.gif

Anyone know what Sandow's exercise regime was? Amazing abs. My guess is big heavy weights. Suppose I should Google it...

from what I understand he (Sandow) mixed light weights - High reps with heavy weights - low reps

a excellent Sandow site is
http://www.sandowmuseum.com/sandowone.html

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> · Posted on Aug. 13 2006,16:02
i am not sure what i was trying to say in starting this thread... other than there are more than one kind of great builds.

... and I realize there are many different great builds.</div>

couldn't agree more Bob
smile.gif

it's kinda like taste in cars I'd like a C class Mercedes and someone else may much prefer a classic corvette
tounge.gif

Back