Ab & Rotator Work

Chthonian

I feel I tend to complicate some things in an attempt to perfect my training. I get caught up in such little details, that I don't look at some of the clear-cut stuff that's right in front of me.

For example, ab training has so much complexity behind it, that it's become a chore to think about. Here's a link to a thread on EliteFitness that has some good information pertaining to abs, but seems to be rather much: http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/showthread.php?t=386150

When it comes down to it, heavy squatting, deadlifting, chinups, along with some basic ab stuff (perhaps vicious' highly touted Nelson Situp, along with some isometric ab work like planks) should be more than enough for this area, right? I'm speaking in terms of functionality, by the by. I can't see how stressing about this area and throwing in tons of other garbage would help much - it's like a huge case of diminishing returns. Am I correct here?

Assuming I am, those basic exercises to isolate the abs can/should be done when to maximize efficacy and functionality? I want to say once a week, especially if one were to squat thrice a week and deadlift once, but I'm not sure if that's just wishful thinking. After all, I don't like to waste time if I don't have to.

Second, rotator cuff work. I know an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, so I try to throw in some sort've rotator work 3x a week, for a set or two, before I do any benching or shoulder-utilizing movement. I know there are internal and external rotations, plus an L-shaped raise once can do for the roators. Should one use all three of these? How often should rotator work be done, and for what kind've volume, assuming no previous injuries - just prehab?

Sorry for the loaded questions, guys.

I've come to a conclusion on my own due to being up all night with nothing to do, but input would still be appreciated. Check the other thread I made titled - A 5x5-HST Hybrid.

Back