About to start 2nd Cycle...

I

imported_delichani

I finished my first cycle with great results....(watch for my pics and measurements next week)
Im getting ready for my 2nd cycle, I read in the FAQ's that for your 2nd cycle you should just increase your weights by about 10-15 lbs.

Now my questions: If I plan to take creatine this time around, do you think I would be able to increase my weight more?

Also, I did Flat bench Press, this time Id like to do Incline Bench to get a little upper chest growth....SHould I re-test my maxes? Or should I just increase the weight 10lbs and start inclining?

thanks in advance

Generally, creatine DOES help you put more weight, but I'd stick to the "guideline" increase for this cycle. If you find you can push more - adjust as you go along.

As far as I know, 20% should be a decent incline. Your maxes shouldn't really change. Any other opinions people???

so your saying....my flat bench max from last cycle should be my incline bench max for my second cycle?

The best way (I find) to increase weights and find your new maxes (creatine or not) is by prolonging each microcycle until you find out what your new maxes are. So instead of having 6 WO of 10s, you could end up having 7-8 WO (example). Same thing applies for 5s.

Generally, I don't care about my maxes until I get to my 5s where things get heavier and more dangerous -- I just prolong my 5s until I reach my 5 RM and then do my 5RM for a while, and them go into negs. My cycles are always loinger than 8 weeks. (even If I usually skip my first week of 15s -- Sometimes even the two weeks -- depending on my level of conditioning)

Del...thought you meant increasing the weight due to using incline.
Whatever increase you worked out SHOULD be okay.

Ignorants method is lazy..but hey...if itworks!

I increase my 15s, 10s and fives anywhere from 5-10lbs. The way I look at it is small increases reep large rewards. As for creatine, people make it a bigger product than what is really is. Finally, I would stay with the bench then incline. Why, because you can handle more wieght. Thats the name of the game to get big.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Ignorants method is lazy..but hey...if itworks!

:confused:

lazy? why? Because I'm not *guessing* and *doing* instead?

By doing that, you don't take the chance of overrating your maxes and you can also prolong your gains.

Ignorant, how can anybody say you are lazy when your cycles last 2 weeks longer than normal cycles? However, you also short change yourself 1 cycle out of year. Nevertheless, I don't understand your theory of increasing weights only on the 5s. If I do not increase my 15s and 10s proportionally, my 5s will suffer. Increasing weight every time you touch it is one of the principles of HST

Reread my post carefully. I said :

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Generally, I don't care about my maxes until I get to my 5s

I'm not sayin I'm not increasing weights (reread my post). I'm only saying I don't care whether my last workouts for 10s or 15s were my true max (10RM or 15RM) or not. I just prolong my cycle until I reach my 5RM.

Basically, what I'm saying is : who cares about maxes. They're just guidelines to help setting up the cycle. Just increase the weight until you reach a level where safety can be an issue. Then go into negs. Then stop when you don't grow anymore or when you're tired or whatever.

So delichani can just start where he was last cycle (especially if he’s throwing in inclines instead of flat bench) and either adjust his weights (larger increments?) as he feels and/or prolong each microcycle, or just follow each microcycle and prolong 5s until 5RM and then go into negs. Who cares. ***As long as weights increase enough, from beginning to end***.

(and remember : each *cycle* doesn't really need to be "heavier" than the one before to allow hypertrophy. That's the beauty of SD)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (khonis @ Mar. 19 2005,10:37)]your cycles last 2 weeks longer than normal cycles?
Where did I say that?

No : I said my cycles were longer (didn't say how much) AND that I skipped 1 or 2 weeks of 15s.

dozingoff.gif

I hope delichani is not to confused by now...

wow.

(and remember : each *cycle* doesn't really need to be "heavier" than the one before to allow hypertrophy. That's the beauty of SD)
not you got me confused.  You mean to tell me that I can stay with the same wieght as before and get bigger because of SD.  Where does HST say that?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]SD is simply a method that allows (not “tricks”) your muscles to continue to grow, using weights that your muscles have seen before.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]When Strategic Deconditioning is properly applied to ones training, growth can resume, even when using weights previously used.

Strategic Deconditioning (FAQ)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It is this practice of frequent loading followed by Strategic Deconditioning that allows a person to reuse submaximal poundages to elicit new muscle growth.

Strategic Deconditioning (Articles)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Undoubtedly, you will rapidly get stronger, making your previously established max inaccurate. This is NOT important. You will adjust the weights when you start your second cycle.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The next time around, rather than finding your maxes all over again, simply add 5-10 pounds to all your lifts. In other words, go back over your previous cycle and add 5 – 10 pounds to each weight that you recorded before for the next cycle. Keep in mind that training at your absolute max weight is not necessary to grow….trust me.

Topic: Setting up the HST cycle (FAQ)

Back