Adding weight to dips and chins

SweetDaddyPatty

I'm sure you are all familiar with these, it looks like a weight belt but instead of a buckle there is a length of chain on which to hang plates to add weight to chins, dips etc. I used to see them all the time but never had any use for them, but now that I have gotten stronger the gym I'm at doesn't have one.

I want to incorporate chins and dips into my next HST cycle so I need one of these.

I just wonder where I can purchase one, and what is the technical name for these belts so I can search online?

As a temprary measure until my gym gets a dip belt, I use two lifting belts buckled together in a loop. I can hang a dumbell from this loop whilst the belt is hanging round my lowerback just like a dip belt does. It works great except that the dbs are the other end of the gym to the dip bars!

I use a spring clip, permanently in the buckle of my belt, to attach another spring clip to with a short chain on it. I loop the chain thru the plates and hang them from the buckle. I'm up to 75 lbs now with no problems; it feels about like a dip belt, but they are a bit more comfortable.
I used to bend a leg and put a dumbell behind the knee...but that's hard to do with a 70+ lb. DB!

A backpack has worked fine for me. I am going to start wearing it backward for dips. Pulling to the rear changes the angle a little much, taking the emphasis of the chest.

I got one of those dip belts for myself and my brother about 2 months ago. It's kind of a pain in the ass to put it on and take it off if you're working out with a partner and have to switch while other one rests.

and another thing, it's pretty hard to put it on if the weights on it go something like 35lb + 5lb + 2.5lb, since you have to hold all 3 weights with one hand while using another one to slide the belt up to your waistline.... can't wait til I start doing 45 + 10 + 5 + 2.5...
biggrin.gif

is there a better alternative?
rock.gif

I do the same as Quad. I have had over 90 pounds on it with no problem. It cost me less than $3.00 for the chain and two spring clips and have used it for over 6 years now.

As for putting it on, I simply put the plates on the floor standing up and slip the chain thru them with the chain already attached to the belt. I then squat down to fasten the belt around my waist. Or, you can put the chain and weights on top of a bench and then you don't have to bend as much to put the belt on.

I set my plate stack atop my weight tree, which has two 2x4 uprights, leaving the holes free to drop the chain thru. It's at waist height too, so I just clip 'em on.
When I was at the gym, I would lay them on a bench and pick up one side of the stack while dropping the chain thru.

If you can't pick that up, you don't need to be trying to LIFT it!
biggrin.gif

Yeah, i guess putting the stack on a bench would kinda help.
smile.gif

Back