Adding weight to dips and chins

Discussion in 'Hypertrophy-Specific Training (HST)' started by SweetDaddyPatty, Sep 4, 2006.

1. SweetDaddyPatty

SweetDaddyPatty New Member

I'm sure you are all familiar with these, it looks like a weight belt but instead of a buckle there is a length of chain on which to hang plates to add weight to chins, dips etc. I used to see them all the time but never had any use for them, but now that I have gotten stronger the gym I'm at doesn't have one.

I want to incorporate chins and dips into my next HST cycle so I need one of these.

I just wonder where I can purchase one, and what is the technical name for these belts so I can search online?

2. dkm1987

dkm1987 New Member

3. SweetDaddyPatty

SweetDaddyPatty New Member

that's the name I was looking for! Thanks!

4. bskp

bskp New Member

Dip belts are great, but you could also hold a dumbell between your ankles.

5. Lol

Lol Super Moderator Staff Member

As a temprary measure until my gym gets a dip belt, I use two lifting belts buckled together in a loop. I can hang a dumbell from this loop whilst the belt is hanging round my lowerback just like a dip belt does. It works great except that the dbs are the other end of the gym to the dip bars!

6. quadancer

quadancer New Member

I use a spring clip, permanently in the buckle of my belt, to attach another spring clip to with a short chain on it. I loop the chain thru the plates and hang them from the buckle. I'm up to 75 lbs now with no problems; it feels about like a dip belt, but they are a bit more comfortable.
    I used to bend a leg and put a dumbell behind the knee...but that's hard to do with a 70+ lb. DB!

7. mostlyallan

mostlyallan New Member

I lost the clip for my dip belt and decided to use a clip from a suitcase strap. Its holding pretty well so far.

8. A backpack has worked fine for me. I am going to start wearing it backward for dips. Pulling to the rear changes the angle a little much, taking the emphasis of the chest.

9. I got one of those dip belts for myself and my brother about 2 months ago. It's kind of a pain in the ass to put it on and take it off if you're working out with a partner and have to switch while other one rests.

and another thing, it's pretty hard to put it on if the weights on it go something like 35lb + 5lb + 2.5lb, since you have to hold all 3 weights with one hand while using another one to slide the belt up to your waistline.... can't wait til I start doing 45 + 10 + 5 + 2.5... [​IMG]

is there a better alternative? [​IMG]

10. style

style New Member

Iv woven together a dip belt using a unicorns mane.

11. Old and Grey

Old and Grey Super Moderator Staff Member

I do the same as Quad. I have had over 90 pounds on it with no problem. It cost me less than $3.00 for the chain and two spring clips and have used it for over 6 years now.

As for putting it on, I simply put the plates on the floor standing up and slip the chain thru them with the chain already attached to the belt. I then squat down to fasten the belt around my waist. Or, you can put the chain and weights on top of a bench and then you don't have to bend as much to put the belt on.

12. quadancer

quadancer New Member

I set my plate stack atop my weight tree, which has two 2x4 uprights, leaving the holes free to drop the chain thru. It's at waist height too, so I just clip 'em on.
    When I was at the gym, I would lay them on a bench and pick up one side of the stack while dropping the chain thru.

If you can't pick that up, you don't need to be trying to LIFT it! [​IMG]

13. Yeah, i guess putting the stack on a bench would kinda help. [​IMG]