after 5's?

Hazard445

I read the stickies, and am still confused on this "negatives" that one must do in the HST after the second week of 5's. Can someone enlighten me on to how to perform this?

Actually I think that most people DON'T do negatives. Instead then continue adding weight and extend the 5's as long as possible.

Oh, Im guessing this can lead to further hypertrophy, as well as see the potential increase in your 5rm.

So how about after 5's of the same routine, just slowly incrementing 5's, until I can't increment more, than make a PCT of the same weight for 2 weeks or something?

You have answered your own question. That sounds like a very smart way to train after the regular 5s.
smile.gif

I honestly love myself for coming accross this site. I have learned so much about training in general. I just can't wait until my first cycle is completed to start tweaking things, such as adding more volume, or frequency (AM/PM). Definantely need that anabolic kick to my body.

Negatives are when you look at the weight and mentally tell yourself "I am weak and puny- I will never be strong"....
biggrin.gif

Negatives are really just the lowering portion of a  movement without a spotter or machines they can be hard to accomplish. Another way I didn't see touched on yet in this thread would be to go to 3's after 5's adjusting the load accordingly so to be working heavier than possible with the 5's. Of course this is just one of many ways to "extend " the 5's or post 5's and not nessessarily the best for lifters with recurring injuries or joint issues. I personally love 3's , one of my favorite rep/set schemes is the 10(set) X 3(reps) routine- not something you are going to be able to do for an extended period of time , but for short bursts of a couple of weeks they give amazing results.

I must say though, I "train" a few friends and family and have used negatives  (and 10x3's) with great success for quickly making leaps and bounds in strength gains.

Definantely seems interesting...10x3 seems like a promising approach 2 weeks post 5's. You would need to increase the weight from the 5's to do the 3's right? Also, 3 minutes of rest would be ideal correct? considering this is very taxing on the CNS.

If you can do loaded dips and chins then give negs a try. I tend to try to use a load that I can get 3 normal reps with and then switch to negs. After the first set it's usually only possible to get 2 normal reps at most before switching to negs. I superset between chins and dips at this stage so that I don't spend ages waiting for my strength to come back. I take just a minute to catch my breath and then get onto the next set.

Do be careful though. Once the loads are at around your 2/3RM you need to make sure that your form stays really good. No sense in sustaining an injury just so you can increase strain a bit.

I don't quite understand what you are telling me here Lol. So instead of moving on to 3's I can do negatives? Or was it negatives only on dips and chins?

I Think what LOL is saying is that certain exersizes DO lend themselves to performing negatives w/o a spotter to assist in the lift portion- such as chins, dips also push press. THere's multiple ways to skin this cat so to speak (post 5's) , 3's are a suggestion I'm making as a viable alternative if negatives are impossible on a certain exersize(s), negatives are for sure the Ideal I would imagine -as most can lower at least 135% of thier 1rm , and as I said negatives can be almost unbelievable in thier ability to promote extremely rapid strength gains.
smile.gif

I hate you russ...Not because I have anything against you.
Its because "ability to promote extremely rapid strength gains." Makes me get a hard on...
wink.gif

It makes me eagerly want to try the negatives. It should elminate my plataue's! If anyone could point me in the right direction (a link or something) on how to properly perform them, I will be greatful!

P.S. Random Q: Where do I find the Modifying HST e-book? ive looked all over!

Ok, I read the negatives sticky, so heres what I got out of it:

Basically, after my 2 weeks of 5's I move to 2 weeks of negatives. Where I basically do more weight then I can handle (1.35x my 1rep max a bit too much?) And I must be able to control it down just enough to make it really chalenging, but I must still be able to control it. I basically get my spotter to make me look like one of those ego-lifting benchers (Only with a scientific reasoning behind it!) and help me up. Now my quesiton is, how many reps must I perform? Same volume as my 5's?

I'm curious as to why I should not move on to negatives, even though they give "tremondous gains" (Of course i'm talking a week before your SD)

Do negatives if you can, you need a reliable training partner to help you since you are using weights beyond your normal strength levels. I don't do them as they are dangerous for many barbell exercises and I mostly train alone.

I like negs for dips and chins but I don't use a load over my 1RM. That's only because I don't want to tear anything. Probably wouldn't happen but I'm just too old to risk it!
smile.gif
I also find them less taxing on my CNS than would be expected - actually because, as Russ pointed out, you can handle around 140% of your 1RM in a controlled fashion for a neg rep and I am using far less than that.

Don't forget to check out Max Stim reps which are a great way to keep progressing strain, manage fatigue and get a decent amount of work/volume done.

I tend to do 5-7 total reps per set. First set probably 3 normal reps and 4 negs, second set 2 normal and 4 negs, 3rd set 1/2 normal 3/4 negs. Basically, I do negs until I can't control the decent. A couple of seconds for each eccentric is fine, You don't need to lower really slowly as per the old HIT advice.

<div>
(Hazard445 @ Apr. 10 2007,19:42)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">What I wanna know is are the negatives a 1 rep thing? or a 5 rep thing?</div>
You could start @5 for a set and see how you feel /recover, you very well may experience significant DOMS and choose to stay at that volume (it's highly proportionate to % of 1rm as to severity of soreness), the HST calculator is set up to use a 2rm and that would be a wise starting point- assess how you feel ,add volume to taste. These won't make or break your hst cycle and the first cycle is really a time to assess your personal volume needs/capabilities.

Back