AG's Learning Curve...

Correct. I don't do flat bench anymore after having to rehab both shoulders a few years ago. Strictly incline (albeit low, 1st or 2nd setting) for a couple years now.

Same here. Alternate between the first and second "prong" on the bench. Different weights for each as Im stronger at the first prong. I feel how the workout at the second prong works the "little" higher pec more.

Sweet, ill alternate from now on and see how it feels/goes.

It's I'd the second cycle of the same exercises and the beginners gains are coming along nicely, I'm just finishing my first week of 10s tonight so still 1 more week at 10s, 2 weeks at 5s and then I think I'll do 1 week at 3s before finally testing my new Max's.

Would people recommend I continue with those exercises for a 3r cycle or change it up (only exercise I dislike is squats as its my weakest)? I'm more than happy to continue mentally whilst I'm seeing good growth, or should I move onto other exercises that hit the main muscle groups?

Deadlift - 2 x 15 x 25 (wide grip)
Bench - 2 x 15 x 25 (wide grip)
Chin up - 2 x 8 x BW (hands inward)
Cable crunch - 2 x 15 x 38.25
Arnold press - 2 x 15 x 10
Dips 2 x 8 x BW

Seems to me tour already hitting all the major muscle Groups with these.

Last edited:
So the second cycle was going very well through the 15's and 10's (new PRs) until I got a throat infection last week. Pret much went 7 days with no exercise and probably dropping to 1,800 Cal's at a push.

Weight has dropped down to 72kg,s which is annoying as I'd got up to around 78 (from memory). On the plus side, atleast I know I can drop weight quickly in a few weeks for a wedding, jus need to get into a batter shape first.

Question on the sequence of my routine, should I start with the smaller muscles or larger? Reason being if I leave the bench, chin-up and dip till the end I cannot complete the full sets with good form? I'm sure my old gym teacher used to say stat wit the larger muscles and end on the smaller ones (or I read it somewhere). Kinda makes sense as if I bench last, if the smaller muscles are shot I won't be able to lift?

Also, I read Bryan's article on pre/post work out drinks, can anyone recommend anything cheap/home made for a pre-work out drink?

Preworkout, I prefer simple whey isolate and for carbs I rely on milk added to the isolate. I actually use fat free powdered milk, whey isolate and ice cold water, which the fat free powdered milk has a decent amount of protein so it works out well. Then intra workout, I use gatorade powder in cold water. Post workout is simply whey isolate in water. With the carbs taken intraworkout, postworkout carbs are unnecessary.

Of course this is just what works best for me, your mileage (or kilometerage, I guess) may vary.

So as a cheap alternative I'm guessing these would do the same thing (deliver a decent hit of carbs in the form of sugar)?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/health_and_fitness/4289704.stm

Ok, unless there's a chemical reaction from the salt in the juice (which I doubt, I guess the salt is simply there as a digestive aid), I don't think those will deliver half the carbs of Gatorade or an equivalent sports drink.

I'll have to run some numbers to compare...

No comparison really, 6g carbs/100ml in Gatorade (all sugar), lucozade is 6.4g carbs but only 3.something from sugar (maybe for running the extra from slower realease carbs would be useful, but not in a 1 hour gym session) home made from squash+salt is 2.9g carbs (with nothing else added).

Only close comparison would be Orange juice which has 10.something grams of carbs/100ml, but would be watered down probably by 50%.

On another note, even though I thought i was getting enough carbs in my diet this has just made me realise that each evening after being in the gym I can drink squash/juice with water or lemonade like a fiend. I just can't seem to get enough and can drink more than 2 pints in 2-3 hours after an evening work out. I know I hydrate properly during the day as I drink several (up to 7 cups) of tea and a pint of water, with my shakes on top (an extra 300-400ml milk).

I think I might start taking a small juice drink in with me and see how that changes things..

Gatorade powder is just what I use. I mix it double strength for my workouts, but I'm sure you could really use just about anything that is a carbohydrate drink. I would probably not suggest carbonated soft drinks for obvious reasons. Either way, I have come to believe over the last couple years that intraworkout carbs can help tremendously.

Gatorade powder is just what I use. I mix it double strength for my workouts, but I'm sure you could really use just about anything that is a carbohydrate drink. I would probably not suggest carbonated soft drinks for obvious reasons. Either way, I have come to believe over the last couple years that intraworkout carbs can help tremendously.

Thanks for the advice, I'll see how I get along.

Finished my second week of 10s on Friday, 2-3 PRs on set, but interestingly since I've started mixing up my bench incline across the exercises I've noticed I've lost strength?

It's the only one that's not progressed (2 weeks ago would flat bench 37.5kgs 10x3, his time I only hit 35).

Weight has gone up from 11st 4 to 11st 10 in just over 2 weeks, and at the start of my 5s yesterday I felt stronger than ever (started on some new PRs).

Will see how it goes tomorrow I guess and take it from there.

Bear in mind one is stronger on the flat bench than incline. Thats probably why you only hit 35 this time, unless you´ve changed the order of your workout. Regradless, well done!

2nd set of 5's today:

Chins (parallel grip): BW+5, 5x5
Dips: BW+7.5, 5x5
IBP: 37.5, 5x5
Cable crunch: 48.25, 5x5,
Arnold press: 18, 5x5
Squats: 60, 5x5

Mixture of new and matched previous PR's.

Not going to be able to get to the gym for a few days now, so ill try some different work outs using my body weight and maybe do a little cardio.

Dead chuffed, can't wait to get back into the gym when I come back and continue on the 5's. I felt there was more in the tank for chins, dips and bench. Maybe even squats (although they were hard).

Since I have 4 weeks before I go off on holiday and won't be able to train I've decided to extend the 5's until then, have to say its working great.

Chins: BW+7.5, 5x5 PR
Dips: BW+12.5, 5x5 PR
Bench: 40, 5x5 PR
Arnold Press, 16x5,5,5,5, 18x5 (Not the greatest form on the last 2 reps),
Deadlift: 60, 5x5.

The last 2 sets on both deadlifts and chins needed a lot of focus on my grip rather than my form so I'm going to order some straps tonight.

Weight is still 73kg's and not really going up any more, but I'm not sure whether to not worry about it as my back, chest and deltoid are growing and the weights are going up. Ill take a look at my diet on the weekend when I'm off, still getting around 150grams of protein a day.

Going to switch out cable crunch to something for my obliques and add in a bicep isolation as its starting to look thin and twig like (ok, it's always looked twig like, but its not growing like the rest of mu upper body).

Chins: BW+7.5, 5x5,
Dips: BW+15, 5x5, PR
Flat bench: 65, 5x5, PR
Arnold Press: 16, 5x5,
Squat: 65, 5x5 PR

Thoughts:
Got the routine in the wrong order which left my feeling it on chins, definitely needs to be first on the list in future. Dips felt great, but I'm not feeling a lot of tension or soreness in the tricep felt it more in the shoulder (deltoid). I think the bars are a little too wide for my frame and thus I'm struggling to get my elbows right in tight and to lower them behind me. Ill have to check some YouTube videos to see.

Bench felt awkward, tried a few different techniques (PL vs BB), I don't know how power lifters can do it, it's uncomfortable as hell. I have noticed that I've never kept my elbows in, or clenched my shoulder blades back before and it felt like worked my chest more. I do think I've done something to my clavicle though as its a little odd feeling. Probably not the best to mess about on a PR weight.

I've dropped cable crunch for now as I'm running out of time on the routine, will put them or something else back in when I start over.

I ignore all the benching advice online, largely. Without a coach in real life, you may just hurt yourself trying to "tuck in the elbows" and all that bull****. There are millions of different shaped shoulders in the world, and not all of us are the same. I actually have much more comfort with a an extra wide grip and elbows flared out, the so-called "dangerous" "bodybuilding" style, and I have MORE shoulder pain, and it feels awkward for me, trying to copy powerlifter style, which sucks for my frame. Although, I do think you should try to keep your shoulder blades pinned back to a certain degree, to stabilize the shoulders, you don't need to worry about it too much.

Just press in a natural manner, for YOU, wide grip, narrow grip, elbows in, elbows out, whatever works for YOU.

Same with dips, I have WIDE clavicles, so I like wide grip benching, wide grip dips, etc. Although my friend at the gym has a smaller frame and he can bench 315 with a VERY close grip, which would ****in kill my shoulders, but for him it works great.

E.g. A short, stocky, barrel-chested power lifter giving bench form advice will be slmost useless for a tall, lanky guy as the upper body mechanics for each guy will be totally different.

Last edited:
Thanks, I just don't want to do any long term damage to my shoulder so trying to get the 'right' form.

Ill keep the back tucked in in the future as it did feel like more of a work out on the chest.

Bad week in work after some bad news on Thursday, still the anger I was feeling last night really helped my workout.

Chins: BW + 10, 5x5 PR
Dips: BW + 17.5, 5x5, 25x1, PRs
Flat Bench: 50, 5x5, 60x1, failed on 65. PR
Deadlifts: 60x5, 70x5, 80x5x3, PR

BW around 73kgs and not going anywhere. Diet it not good at the moment, only getting around 100-120g protein and roughly 2000 calories. Need to get that sorted today to continue increasing the weights.

On another note, I've started to notice a strain on my clavicle when I'm flat benching, ill try and get a video of my form up next week, but if anyone has any experience/ideas it would be appreciated. Back and legs are a little sore today after the dead lifts but nothing that can't be walked off.

Last workout on the 6th.

BW: 73kgs

Pull ups: BW+10x5x5. Grips.
Dips: BW+20x5x5.
FBP: 47.5x5x5
Arnold's: 18x5x5. With belt, not the best form.
Deadlifts: 70x5x5. Grips.

Thoughts:
1. My chest and back have grown considerable from the start of this routine, I've had a few comments from people. My arms are now lagging though.
2. The grips have made a massive difference to both chins and deads. I can now feel the work being done where it should be and not in my fingers, I can also focus on my form rather then if I'm going to drop myself or the bar.
3. It's funny, I used to read people's logs and see 2-3 exercises for each session and think was it worth their effort. I now appreciate the time it takes when you're lifting the sort of weights you guys are and near your maxes.

Diet:
Back on track, 2,700 calories, 170g protein. Now to keep it there.

I've got 3 weeks left before I take a weeks SD and I'm torn where to go:
1. First issue I'm currently happy with my body fat level, but the mrs has suggested that I've become a little plump (my grandfather was and my father is getting large around the stomach, dam genetics). I'm probably on/around 12% BF (going to measure properly next week with callipers and not rely on my electric scales thingy). I really wanted to hit 12.5 stone before I cut, and I'm currently around 11.6 on average. Plus summer is coming.
2. My arms (biceps) are now starting to lag. I'm not sure wether to do close grip supinated pull ups to hit my biceps more and then do some rows, or to continue with wide/parallel grip chins and add in a bicep isolation?

Back