Ahh...How much do ya bench!?!?

Joe.Muscle

It being the holiday season and all I figured I would throw in a little fun thread.

How much do ya bench....
biggrin.gif
( not that it matters) b/c it doesn't but I am sure there are some guys who are putting up some impressive numbers around here and then there are probabley some guys who look like they could bench a house when he reality they don't.

So I figured a fun little thread to start. I will go first.

I of course don't know what my 1 RM is b/c of injury but I will tell you my average heavy lifts.

10 degree dumbell bench press: 85 pound dumbells for 5 reps.

Military Press 135 for 1 or 2

Squats right now are low at around 200.

Standing Barbell Curls 100 pounds for 5 reps
Dumbell overhead extention 90 pounds for 5 reps

Thats it...nothing really impressive!
tounge.gif

Body weight: 78kg

30 degree dumbell press: 36kg x 6
Flat barbel bench press: 80kg x 5
Deadlift : 120kg * 5
Mili press : 45kg * 5
Dips : BW (80kg) + 15kg
BackSquat : 100kg * 5
Yates Row : 80kg * 5
DB Row : 34kg * 5

Flat barbel bench - 100 Kg x 3 never triedfor1 RM

Squat- Box - 140 Kg x 5, ATG- 100 Kg x 5,at the moment only 100Kg x 3.

Mil press- standing - 50Kg, sitting on slight incline bench 70 Kg.

Curls - Have done 50Kg x 5 but earned tennis elbow, 35 Kg seems the norm right now.

Chins - 30 Kg + body weight (73 at the moment) for 5

Low cable rows - 80Kg x 5

Deadlift - 120 Kg x 5

1RMs All before I started 10 x 3

ATG Back Squats 157,5 Kg ( I could probably bang out 165 next week)
ATG Front Squat 110 Kg
Deadlift 160 Kg  ( I am hoping to hit 170 next week, I haven´t tried a Dead max in a while)
Standing Mil Press 75 Kg
Bent Row (never did 1RM) 5RM 102,5kg
I haven´t benched in 3 weeks, but the last time I did a 1RM it was 120Kg
Dips (never did 1RM) today I did 10 x 3 x BW (96Kg) plus 30 Kg.

flat bench- 275 for 6 sets of 5
ATG squat- 315 for 3 sets of 5
Deads- 355 for 3 sets of 5
Smith Military press- 185 for 3 of 5

some good some bad...i'd rather look strong than be strong
smile.gif

I had a huge friend from a rough suburb who weighed a good 240lb hard, who always used to respond to the question of how much he could bench with "oh about 10 kilos".

It never failed to impress me that this huge guy never tried to impress other people, and wouldn't brag about what he could do. Since then I never tell people what I can do (I used to respond I can bench 12kg plus bar so suck that
tounge.gif
).

It's all relative to where you are in your training, so I assume you must mean at the end of the 5's, where you're the strongest. Also, some of my stuff is done on a lever machine, so it doesn't equate.
Incline D/B's 115x4-5
Flat bench - I quit using it
D/B rows - 120x10 for 3 sets. Don't have any heavier ones.
Weighted pullups - my 205 plus 80 for 5.
Wide chest dips - BW (205) plus 95 x 6 for 3 sets
Narrow tricep dips - BW plus 80 x 8 for 3 sets
Skullcrushers - 135 x 6 for 3 sets
Shrugs - 610 x 5, but not lately. It's coming back using the power shrugs though.

How much do I bench? Kind of an invalid question at the HST forum since we work at submaximal weights...sometimes very submaximal. Hell, sometimes in the gym I'm squatting sub 100lbs. Right now, I'm even deadlifting sub 200lbs.

But just for fun and a good laugh for everyone at my expense, here are my 1RM numbers from last time I checked. Yes, I'm small and weak.

Dead 325
Bench 200
Squat 250

Well my 5RM for my cutting cycle (3rd in total) is:

Squat (A2G) 205lbs
Deadlift Atleast 225... I've never actually hit my max yet
Dips atleast 200lbs total... again didnt hit max
Incl Bench 175lbs might be a bit lower... I seem to have lost strength on this lift.
Pendlay Row 145lbs
Chin up 180lbs
Military Press 125lbs probably could have got 135 with a couple push presses.

Current lifts are:

bench: 250x5x4x4
pendlay row: 290 3x3
OH press: 165x5x4x4
dips: 219+125x3
chins: 219+65x5
deadlift: should hit 525 by new year's
olympic squats: 380 3x5
front squat: 290x5
full squat clean: 240x5

Almost forgot the most important lift. I rarely do them, but BB curls 115 2x5

Well I haven't maxed out in awhile, but I will post my last workout.

Squats-279 lb.s x 20 max-stim reps
BB rows-200 x 20 ms reps
Dips-190+40 x 20 ms reps
Chins-190+20 x 20 ms reps
Seated press-161 x 20 ms reps

The only exercise I am proud of is seated press. I have some pretty nice front deltoids but the rest of me has alot of work to do.

In the words of Bilbo Baggins, "It's good to be among such admirable and excellent company!" It's great that all you guys are doing so well with your lifting. Here's my little lot. I have a ways to go but not too bad for an old bloke who's only been lifing for just over a year now.

Bench - was 250 x 5 but on complete break from bench for several months now
Deads - around 416 x 3 (haven't tried a max yet)
ATG Squat - 358 x 1 (not too hard - I can do more
smile.gif
)
Dips - 215bw + 118 x 5 (aiming for 200 so a long way to go!)
Chins - 215bw + 45 x 5 (needs work)
Standing press - 160 x 5 (as long as I don't do dips right before!)

Hey Liege hope you get your 525 by New Years. That's awesome man!
Oh, and what does 5x4x4 mean? Four lots of 5 reps, four times a week?

Stumbled across this on YouTube. This is the standard for D/B press....

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGm1rcSqKgU"

<div>
(Peak_Power @ Dec. 18 2006,20:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I had a huge friend from a rough suburb who weighed a good 240lb hard, who always used to respond to the question of how much he could bench with &quot;oh about 10 kilos&quot;.

It never failed to impress me that this huge guy never tried to impress other people, and wouldn't brag about what he could do. Since then I never tell people what I can do (I used to respond I can bench 12kg plus bar so suck that  
tounge.gif
).</div>
A different twist:  I used to be the strength coach at a fairly large high school.  One day I was sitting on the end of a bench talking to the track coach; there was an empty olympic bar sitting in the racks of the bench.  A little freshmen who had never been in the weight room before eagerly walked over to me and asked in all seriousness, &quot;Do you need a spot?&quot;  The track coach didn't let me live that one down for awhile.
sad.gif

s

I got the where I am the same way as Leige, Steve and others. But that's TUT over YEARS. No big deal.

Ya know what's impressive? Lol. SM. Guys like you who are soaring like eagles from cycle to cycle, maintaining strict diets, hitting your routines religiously, and sticking to principles. I'm a lot more impressed by a guy who is not exactly a noob, but doing things right enough to gain a verifiable pound of muscle every few weeks than I am by myself working my butt off for two months to gain two pounds.

The other thing that will impress me is if the switch to 5x5 for a while, and back to HST (probably) will bust me past the (theoretical) genetic limits. I believe that HST is all you need to get to your limits, but sooner or later it should plateau as a program. But the principles don't go away or stop working; I think we just have to apply them differently.

<div>
(Lol @ Dec. 19 2006,04:35)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Hey Liege hope you get your 525 by New Years. That's awesome man!
Oh, and what does 5x4x4 mean? Four lots of 5 reps, four times a week?</div>
Thanks lol.

I guess I should have been clearer. The 5x4x4 is 250 for 3 sets, I was doing a 3x5 and only did 4 reps on the last 2 sets.

This thread has come along at a good time cos a) using max stim has meant that I've been using heavier weights for 1 rep at a time and b) I've just set prs in bench and deadlift!!

bench 112.5kg (247.5lbs)
deads 160kg (352lbs)
chins bodyweight (circa 90-95kg)+32.5kg (71.5lbs)
dips bodyweight plus 45kg (99lbs)

still not that good for someone who's 200-205lbs...looking to get to 135kg bench and 200kg plus dead eventually...either that or I can diet down so the relative strength is more impressive!

Cheers

Rob

Back