Alcohol

texas78

How does alcohol influence on muscle growth? Extra bad to drink on the same day as a training?

I'm not talking about a party hardcore, but a happy friday night with some wine, a couple og beers and a drink or two ..Slightly buzzed..
crazy.gif

I know i should have looked for prev posts and probably in faq on this topic but...
dozingoff.gif

best regards
truls

Texas, old friend!

It is really a matter of what your goals are! If you are a serious body builder into competition and that type of jazz, then it is a definite no, no!
tounge.gif

However for a non-body builder, i.o.w. a guy who just lifts weights because he wants to look good, and gets to lift some serious stuff, but on occasion has a happy hour with friends and maybe even sometimes the going was good and he overdid it just a tad, nope, no serious consequence unless it is done rather frequently.

But that it has effects that is a definite, it is really whether they are debilitating or not and for how long.

You may find interesting stuff if you do a search.

Here's some help:

alcohol search

Thanks for quick reply. I knew i could rely on you Fausto
thumbs-up.gif

The link really cleared thing up :)

Thanks again!

best regards
truls

[b said:
Quote[/b] (texas78 @ Nov. 01 2005,5:54)]How does alcohol influence on muscle growth? Extra bad to drink on the same day as a training?
Drinking on training days?!! You must be young!!! I read once where Arnold said he use to drink beer while he trained, but that was Arnold who is genetically gifted and used AAS!!! Us mere mortals can't afford to do anything that could compromise our gains? IMHO you're working against the very thing you are training for in the first place by using alcohol . I'm not anti-alcohol by any means- I use to party hard too. But there comes a point where you have to decide- do I want to party or am I serious about putting on muscle?

I'm sure when he said drinking on training days - he meant later that night. He'll still have good gains - depending on his age, but the extra fat that comes along isn't fun.

well i can tell you first hand. i lifted throughout college and my gains werent that good.

i have been out for almost 2 years now and my gains are better than ever. i attribute it to less alchohal for the most part. (and hst of coarse!)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What a dangerous combination, alcohol & steroids; unless of course liver damage is your goal.

Hahaha
laugh.gif

Having the college lifestyle may effect my gains, but I usually only drink on the weekends - and I am sure alcohol has some negative effect on protein synthesis, so the effect of my Friday workouts is probably down a bit. HSTing 3 times a week though with some drinking on the weekends is still a lot better than standard training.

Well I agree with all of you guys!

But I really think it depends very much on what you really want (goals) and how much drinking you do, then age plays a big part too!

Yep so it is! If you're young you may still get goodish
laugh.gif
gains (i am creating new english words as I go along), but once you get to a certain age, it is good to slow alcohol consumption down or to stop it altogether.

Then the choice of drink, red wine in moderation is perhaps your best choice, beer loads carbs big time and so comes what we call "boep" the beer belly, very famous around South Africa
laugh.gif
, many guys here sport some real amazing boeps
laugh.gif

It is really a matter of moderation IMHO.
butbut.gif
tounge.gif

are beer bellies a result of taking in too much calories? or is there some wicked stuff in beer that really makes stomach bloat?
crazy.gif

dang i love beer.

Men usually gain more fat around the waist thus resulting beer belly. It`s just extra calories. I also love beer but we just have to get along
sad.gif

It is just the extra calories but the thing about alcohol is that it can have a load of calories and you don't realize it. Alcohol itself has 7 calories per gram... and so you can see that even the 'low carb' beers still pack a lot of calories.

Beer is ok. Drinking with your buds is ok. Just work it around your diet.
If you need, say 3,500 calories, and you know that you'd be taking in at least 700 from alcohol, then the rest of your food intake should only amount to around 2,800. Naturally, since it doesn't have protein, don't cut the protein calories from the rest of the diet; cut from the carbs, since that's what alcohol will give you.

Make sense? Good. Party on!!! :D
thumbs-up.gif

Regards,
-JV

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jvroig @ Nov. 11 2005,7:46)]Beer is ok. Drinking with your buds is ok. Just work it around your diet.
If you need, say 3,500 calories, and you know that you'd be taking in at least 700 from alcohol, then the rest of your food intake should only amount to around 2,800. Naturally, since it doesn't have protein, don't cut the protein calories from the rest of the diet; cut from the carbs, since that's what alcohol will give you.
Make sense? Good. Party on!!! :D
thumbs-up.gif

Regards,
-JV
Bingo!

thumbs-up.gif

Yah, JV

I don't about the other guys, but I get some real; serious food cravings after a few beers, and it does not reaaly matter what it is at that time you just want something in your belly!
laugh.gif

Problem remains, don't do it regularly
laugh.gif
BOEP gets bigger
laugh.gif

Now...who does not like beer, very few I guess
laugh.gif

last saturday, i was with some friend we were partying and since it was my birthday i did alot of drinking...
I got so sick, i puked and went to bed, i felt so bad the next day, i still feel weird and didnt go to gym yesterday and its been 3 day. i drank tons of water this usualy NEVER happens to me. Maybe its because of the tequila worm mixed with sambuca...

Anyways, I used to go out every saturday before and drank a bit and i dont think it affected me that much, i would even go to the gym on sundays morning.

Back