Alternatives to dextrose

Discussion in 'Diet & Nutrition' started by baby a, Feb 18, 2004.

1. baby a

baby a New Member

My gym used to carry NOW brand dextrose, which I used in both pre and post WO shakes. But, when I went to buy some the yesterday, they said that they are not going to carry it anymore. I just ordered some online, but what can I use in the meantime until my shipment arrives? Another sugar? Is regular table sugar OK? Thanks!

2. Arbitro

Arbitro New Member

Gatorade powder in water, SweetTarts, Smarties, etc.

3. jkismul

jkismul New Member

I'd go for the Smarties. :)

4. Bryan Haycock

Bryan Haycock Administrator Staff Member

Any carb source will do (accept perhaps fructose and to a lessor degree sucrose). Just eat some white bread, or saltine crackers (low salt if you like).

You can also add flour to your dinks. Yes, plain old flour. Won't effect the taste hardly at all and will give you good old starchy carbs that will digest rather quickly to boot.

5. spartacus

spartacus New Member

my favorites are baked potatoes and bagels.

6. ZMT

ZMT New Member

why post workout fructose is bad ?

7. Kiharan

Kiharan New Member

It's not that post-workout fructose is bad. It's just that fructose is a low glycemic index carb. It's metabolized differently, and doesn't create the fast insulin response you get from a high-g.i. sugar such as dextrose, or the other carb sources mentioned.

8. Powerade has about 18g of simple carbs in 8oz and a glycemic index in the 80's. I buy the powdered stuff and add a little extra per gallon.

9. babucher

babucher New Member

Look in the phone book for local brew shops (beer). They should have dextrose / corn sugar for cheap. Possibly cheaper than you can get online.

Brian

10. spartacus

spartacus New Member

fructose preferentially refills liver glycogen stores; you want a carb that will help refill muscle glycogen.

11. rb1fit

rb1fit New Member

Fructose uses a non insulin dependent pathway, replenishes liver glycogen for a later use.

12. Techo

Techo New Member

Are Smarties really all that good? I've actually used them for post carbs but I wasn't sure if it was all that good downing like 8+ rolls in one sitting. As fun as it is, I'd like to make sure I'm not cheating myself... Probably decaying the teeth pretty quick too? Didn't Bryan say something about not worrying as much about post diet and how clean it is becuase it doesn't matter as much?