Any suggestions to improve this diet?

chooseausername

I weigh 165 lbs and I'm trying to bulk...

8 oz chicken
1.75 cups rice
5 oz tuna
6 slice wheat bread
2 slice cheese
2.6 oz turkey
2.6 oz roastbeef
1 banana
1 yogurt
2 cups 1% milk
3 eggs
.5 cup egg whites

total calories 3014
total protein 262 grams

percentage protein 38%
percentage fat 9%
percentage carbs 52%

This seems pretty good to me. Plus I don't have to take any supplements, and the amount of food isn't unbearable.

1 portion of fruit and no veg per day isn't exactly ideal (as you probably know, five+ portions is usually recommended to get the vitamins etc. you need).

If the tuna you're eating is tinned, you might want to eat a couple of portions of oily fish a week, as well - to get some omega 3 fats. Replacing some of the tuna with tinned sardines could be an easy option...

Definitely up the veggies, kill some of the bread. Supp with fish oil. Add some nuts too. Fat doesn't have to be that low.

<div>
(etothepii @ Jul. 28 2007,16:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Definitely up the veggies, kill some of the bread. Supp with fish oil. Add some nuts too. Fat doesn't have to be that low.</div>
Thanks for the input...the fat is sometimes higher (I eat red meat instead of chicken fairly often)

Your fat is too low. Protein is okay, but you probably don't need quite that much. Cut out some of your carbs and replace them with fat. Get fat up to around 20% of your calories.

Total calories should be enough to gain weight steadily, just be sure to adjust them upward as you gain weight.

Proper fat intake helps optimize hormones and optimized hormones = optimized muscle growth rate provided you are eating enough.

<div>
(bgates1654 @ Jul. 29 2007,17:52)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Proper fat intake helps optimize hormones and optimized hormones = optimized muscle growth rate provided you are eating enough.</div>
On that note, the word of the day is eicosanoids.

Back