Are we incrementing wrong???

simoncar71

For exercises using bodyweight such as chins and dips, should we be adding our bodyweight to the weight we are lifting when we are calculating our maxes and then increment backwards?
Example....bodweight = 95kgs
5RM Max for dips =40kgs on a weight belt.

I've seen alot of people say that 5% ( the increment percentage they want to use) of 40kgs is 2kgs and then use 2kgs as their increment. IE for their 5's they would do 30..32..34..36..38..40 added to a weight belt, for their 6 workouts in the 5's range.

Should we be saying that our 5RM for dips is 135kgs ( since we are really lifting our bodyweight plus the additional 40kgs) and if doing 5% increments ( 6.5kgs ) then use this weight for our increments
7.5, 14, 20.5, 27, 33.5, 40
This is assuming you are doing 6 workouts for the 5's.

butbut.gif

Simon

The thing about increments is that you can choose what suits you better, 5% is definitely not written in stone, soswitch to 10% if it suits you better. :D

It certainly works if you include your bodyweight, but it is a matter of choice.

The reason why I recommend using 5% for example is on increments for small isolation movements where one cannot increment a lot (eg: lateral raises for shoulders), for the squats. bench, dips, chins, etc, you can easily work with pounds or kilo increments and live happily ever after LOL
laugh.gif

I hope this clears any confusion!
tounge.gif

Ciao

Back