Basic 'traditional' training program

<div>
(DanOz @ Jun. 27 2007,04:58)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(colby2152 @ Jun. 26 2007,13:02)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Faz is correct about the benefits of the longer SD, especially for the seasoned lifter. As far as deloading is concerned, I think the 15's are too heavy. You would have to go into a mesocycle of about 25-30 reps IMO.

Danoz, HST is just a simple set of principles that are meant to be tweaked to fit YOU. Starting with sub-max weights is a highlight of HST so that you use progressive load. HST probably leans 75% towards strength and 25% towards hypertrophy. I'm just pulling those numbers out of the air as there is really no way to measure such a statistic. Sci wants a much more equal balance between strength and hypertrophy, and by the way he talks, he is probably leaning towards strength. All he is doing is HIT with half of the HST principles - most notably increased frequency.

For what it's worth, I think the program will work out for him. Best of luck Sci!</div>
Hey Colby,
&quot;HST is a simple set of principals meant to be tweaked to fit you&quot; is pretty much what I was saying. My point though is that by doing this I would still call it vanilla HST as this was the intention of the program.

As for HST being geared more towards strength than hypertrophy - mmm, why then is it called &quot;Hypertrophy Specific Training&quot; - seems to directly contradict your belief.

Dan</div>
So basically we agree that it`s the principles that matter, and not the routine on the site
smile.gif

The fact that you experienced growth using the program doesn't quite invalidate the fact that submax training for extended periods may be suboptimal, because you can`t isolate SD+submax training+increments every workout as the reason for growing...sticking with HST means making the right choices WRT training:the trend is to increase weight over time(important), proper training frequency, constantly elevated protein synthesis etc. There are a number of things that cause success. Where I think we'll just have to agree to disagree is the benefits of SD in terms of affecting RBE and actually making submax workouts worthwhile. Whilst taking breaks is a must, MHO is that after a deload/complete break, you can comeback at about 80/85% of your former RM, and throughout two weeks work back to it, and then focus on hitting some new PRs, increasing weight only once at the beginning of the week, instead of every workout.

Sci,

You've put in print what I think many have been thinking. I for one find the combo of SD and extensive sub-max time to be unacceptably inefficient for strength gains/preservation . I am of the school of thought that strength enables maximum size gains and must be placed at a somewhat higher priority for optimal hypertrophy in the shortest time period.
I prefer de-loading to SD , believing it facilitates less &quot;steps backwards&quot; so to speak changing HST from a 3 steps forwards one step back per cycle to a 3 steps forwards , quick ciggarrette break while chilling on that 3rd step and off we go for two more big steps before we are forced to take that one step back thing , which I personally prefer to be a simple weeks break instead of the 9-14 day thing.

I also prefer upright rows instead of overheads at a ratio of about 2 out of every three cycles for the same reasons you state and because they blow up my side delts like no other movement (ymmv).

HST is really a &quot;pooling together&quot; of certain principles , it claims &quot;ownership&quot; or &quot;authorship&quot; of none , It's arguably the best &quot;one stop shopping&quot; point for educating oneself to the point of mastering basic principles nessessary to design ones own program. I have always thought of it as &quot;alive&quot; as in tweaking and further exploration was part and parcel of the whole HST experience.

just my 2 cents.....
smile.gif

<div>
(RUSS @ Jun. 27 2007,12:57)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Sci,

You've put in print what I think many have been thinking. I for one find the combo of SD and extensive sub-max time to be unacceptably inefficient for strength gains/preservation . I am of the school of thought that strength enables maximum size gains and must be placed at a somewhat higher priority for optimal hypertrophy in the shortest time period.
         I prefer de-loading to SD , believing it facilitates less &quot;steps backwards&quot; so to speak changing HST from a 3 steps forwards one step back per cycle to a 3 steps forwards , quick ciggarrette break while chilling on that 3rd step and off we go for two more big steps before we are forced to take that one step back thing , which I personally prefer to be a simple weeks break instead of the 9-14 day thing.

I also prefer upright rows instead of overheads at a ratio of about 2 out of every three cycles for the same reasons you state and because they blow up my side delts like no other movement (ymmv).

HST is really a &quot;pooling together&quot; of certain principles , it claims &quot;ownership&quot; or &quot;authorship&quot; of none , It's arguably the best &quot;one stop shopping&quot; point for educating oneself to the point of mastering basic principles nessessary to design ones own program. I have always thought of it as &quot;alive&quot; as in tweaking and further exploration was part and parcel of the whole HST experience.

just my 2 cents.....
smile.gif
</div>
Right on. I see HST the same way. I just had to express publicly on the forum my own beliefs and how I have 'tweaked' HST and imo made it work better for me.

Sci, take a look at my new log when you get a chance. Tear it apart if you want, but I applied a lot of what is discussed in this thread. Let me know if it's hard to understand.

I'll start off by saying that I have had 3 cycles of HST and have gained strenght on each cycle. Most of my hypertrophy was on the 1st cycle (mainly the during the 10s), so the 2nd and 3rd cycles must have had a greater proportion of CNS improvements.

For the 2nd and 3rd cycles I don't know when the strength gains happened, perhaps it was in the last 3 weeks when going heavy, but I don't know?

HST has been my only strength gains excluding the first 6 months of lifting.

I think its pretty obvious that if you do another HST cycle using the same lifts, that the weights will need to be higher than the first cycle. Given that if you make strength gains on the 1st cycle, then this will flow though.

I've just started a Max Stim cycle so I'll see how it goes.

I'm wondering if the RBE means that cycling through programs is more beneficial than repeating programs? Perhaps the slightly different stimuli of different programs is enough to help gains?

<div>
(UFGatorDude30 @ Jun. 25 2007,12:25)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Very good stuff Sci.  Seems a lot like what I was doing back in the day with respect to the reps and weights... but I didn't have any knowledge of frequency or exercises back then.  I'd be interested in watching, and wish you still kept a log.</div>
I have considered posting my log here, but since its not really HST it feels out of place.  If the majority of guys don't mind then I will post my training here, but I warn you that it is exactly as detailed in this thread and is not really HST, its more of a SST, high-intensity program with multiple sets.

What rolls down stairs alone or in pairs
Rolls over your neighbor's dog?
What's great for a snack and fits on your back?
It's Log, Log, Log!

It's Log, Log, it's big, it's heavy, it's wood.
It's Log, Log, it's better than bad, it's good!
Everyone wants a log! You're gonna love it, Log!
Come on and get your log! Everyone needs a Log!

Sci, post your darn log!  
cool.gif

Log Song

Back